“FRIENDLY FOLKS”

Ranked #75 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
oklahoma
“FRIENDLY FOLKS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

have 8 month old child not very lv like.but everyone in hotel was very helpful and friendly. food
excellant service excellant, rooms value priced and very clean. great hotel for price. from checkin
to checkout,bell service,valet etc. excellant

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank nelson7042

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We have held our reunion there the last 4 years in April, our club of professional wrestlers, boxers and movie and TV actors and stunt men, have voted the last 3 years to return again. Not the most fancy hotel in Vegas, but a whole lot for your money. Slots and games pay off better then most, the buffet is outstanding for the price, and leaves little to be desired. May not have the fancy decorations all around, but you get more selections and pay way less then the strip.

Its only 2 blocks from the strip and they give you free trans to it anytime you want to go, bus leaves every 15 minutes during prime time and 30 minutes after midnight. A nice clean and comfortable room will cost only around $36 and a upgraded room with some marble and 32 in TV will run you $50, these prices are less if you book off the web site.

They have some award winning Chinese food and a steak house as good as any in town and the prices again are reasonable compared to most. Some 500 plus of us are there every April around the 15th, and most come in on Sunday and stay till Friday. Most of our members can afford to stay at the fancy pricey hotels, but love the hometown local atmosphere, and the fans do not drive us crazy either, plus some very good bar and beer prices.

You want fancy and to spend a lot of money to sleep, the strip is great, want to have more to spend on fun, food and the shows, you won't go wrong with the Gold Coast.

Room Tip: Ask for the new upgraded rooms, about 75% have already been done, to their web site for some great p...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank karllauer
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

Honestly, don't know what some people are complaining about. But everyone has different expectations. So here's where I'm coming from.

I'm not a high-stakes regular at all-- no "players club" membership, no special treatment. What a concept: paying for a hotel stay. Gold Coast Hotel Casino was just fine. Peachy keen, actually.

Also, I'm not a stereotypical Las Vegas tourist, i.e. not here to do serious gambling, go nuts clubbing, partying, being "on the scene". Just want to see what the town is like, enjoy the weather, food, maybe a little nightlife/show. So I'm not looking for an ultimate luxury experience. If you want that, go to the Mandarin Oriental, Cosmopolitan or Encore-Wynn.

Gold Coast Hotel Casino is a down-to-earth, comfortable, very reasonably priced, sort of 'old school' place to stay off the Strip. Across from the Palms and practically next door to the Rio. Its sister property is the Orleans.

Since it's not on the Strip, your best bet is to have wheels so you can go there whenever. But even if you don't, it's fine. There's a courtesy shuttle to Las Vegas Boulevard, a.k.a. the Strip. Fairly convenient.

Stayed in one of the "premium" rooms, re-modeled with dark wood and brighter inside, plus nicer views. About ten bucks more per night and makes quite a difference from the basic room at Gold Coast.

Room view was north, mountains in the background. Below, a nice-looking apartment complex landscaped with big bushy trees. Pleasant. And quiet.

King-size bed was extremely comfortable. Not sure if the mattress was pillow-top or what, but enjoyed a very restful slumber.

Couple of minor inconveniences regarding the bathroom, which was otherwise nicely designed. The glass partition separating shower from bathroom is simply not wide enough. Water inevitably splashes and floods over into the area next to the toilet. Also, the rainmaker shower head is fixed. If you want to stand right under it during your shower, you are out of luck if you're taller than say, 5'7" or so.

Housekeeping staff were nice, helpful, and generous with supplies.

Aside from gambling in the lobby, there are about a dozen really good casual eateries, and plenty of family friendly activities at Gold Coast.

The pool is your standard swimming pool like those at motels or community lodges. You see children and families splashing around. Gold Coast isn't trying to compete with all the pool lifestyle party stuff happening over on Las Vegas Boulevard and beyond.

More good clean wholesome fun: a full-size bowling alley occupies part of the Casino Hotel. It's open around the clock too, I kid you not.

And finally, anybody else irked about "resort fees"? As in, why in the world am I shelling out some 20 dollars every night for services, most of which I couldn't care less about and will never ever use?

Ahhhhh-- got your attention now, eh? Yeah, I thought so.

See, this is what makes Gold Coast quite the bargain. Go ahead, search all the Vegas accomodation properties, but seriously, you just cannot beat the price they charge here, considering the type of full-service hotel it is. GC resort fee is much less than 20, I can tell you that.

All in all, for our money, the Gold Coast was a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Fifth floor and above is good; premium rooms to the left, from -31 through -78, with higher numbers...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank anda11thatjazz
Tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

When I booked this stay (4 days) I was mostly thinking about affordability. ($30-$40) a night. I compared a lot of places in Vegas in this price range to include a couple on the strip. I read a ton of reviews on all of them and whittled it down to the Gold Coast. I decided that because of the inexpensive base price of the rooms $33.00 I would upgrade to the Premium. That's better than the deluxe. Newest remodeled and has a walk in shower instead of the tub/shower. We made reservations almost a month early and was promised everything we wanted. A couple of days before arriving, we decided to go a day early. Although they we fully booked with no room (according to the internet site) they found us a room. It was only going to be a deluxe and a little more than 3 times the daily price of the previously reserved room. We said what the hey and took it. When we arrived, they upgrading us to the premium room so we wouldn't have to change rooms the next day, at no additional charge. The room was more nicely appointed than on the website. It was clean and smelled fresh as a daisy (corny I know). The only complaint I could find with the room after searching hard was one wall sconce was crooked! Believe it or not! The refrigerator we request was not delivered at the time we got to our room but with a quick call to the bell desk, it was brought up in minutes. It even had a stand with it, so it wasn't down on the floor or taking up room on the desk top. It actually gave use a staging area for the cellphone chargers and other junk. 1 of the 4 elevators was inoperative. The casino was really clean and bright and the slots were new and kept very clean. ?The action was fast and furious and we found more than a few machines that paid off pretty well. The Cortez room served up the most unbelievable cut of prime rib. 24 ounces for $23.00!! The only thing that really upset me about the dinner we had was that the porterhouse steak my brother ordered was better tasting than my prime rib! boo hoo. We made it a point to go back 2 nights latter so I could get that porterhouse. One of the best steaks I've ever had and less expensive that getting one in Tucson, where I live. 5 Stars for every aspect of the Cortez Room. Make sure you call for reservations at least 30 minutes in advance. If you don't, you might have to have a seat in the bar/lounge (very nice) until a table come available. The Buffet was really reasonably priced and was as good as any other we've had in Vegas. Unfortunately, T.G.I. Fridays was a total disappointment and won't garner any more business from me or mine. Breakfast was sad by any standard. With only 3 tables filled when we visited, the service was less than poor. The waitress didn't know the difference between teri-aki sauce and soy sauce and ruined the fried rice we ordered. Then they put chipped beef with gravy on the country fried breakfast steak. That ruined that too. Never got a refill on coffee. I won't waste anymore time on that fiasco. Don't worry, there are too many other places to eat. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the "Java" place was actually a Starbucks. Great for the Starbucks fix in the morning. There was a small coffee maker in the room but only enough coffee packets to make 3 cups of Joe. Make sure to ask for extras. They will provide with a smile. Overall, the Goldcoast is the best bang for the buck in all of Las Vegas.

Room Tip: The higher floors have less traffic and very quiet. There are snack machine and soda machines on eac...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank TucsonMerk
Lombard, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Our group was having a 4 day social gathering at this hotel recently. As my husband and I are loyal "B-connected" members (gambling loyalty card), we booked a premium room and stayed for free. The recently renovated rooms are a great disappointment. I am sure those website pictures were taken the day the rooms were completed and the carpets were brand new. The new surfaces and finishes in the room and bathroom are cheap and tacky, there is only a 1/2 of piece of plexiglass for a shower door (not kidding) so you run the risk of soaking the floor each and every time you use it. The bed was actually pretty good which is the only thing that did not have me run screaming from this room. The carpet was stained and disgusting with burn holes and god knows what. My husband and I never walked barefoot on the floor and wore shower shoes in the shower. The slots in the casino were extremely tight, we only won money on one machine and we tried many (new and old). The buffet was fine and the Dreyers ice cream shop was yummy. The pool was very small, not very clean and they ran out of towels the day we were swimming.

Our group met in one of the conference rooms on the second floor of the hotel. Here is the odd thing...when it was time for our final dinner dance, all of the elevators were jammed with people trying to get downstairs at the same time. My husband and I elected to take the stairs...SORRY, no option here. There were big signs on the doors which read: Fire department will be called if you open this door....only use if there is a fire. What? There is no other way to get downstairs unless there is a fire??? HUH??? No stairs? This gave me a very bad feeling!

Finally, two nights before we were to leave, we received a phone call at 4:30 a.m. from a man identifying himself as the front desk manager asking my husband to bring I.D. down to the front desk to address some "billing question". What? This was clearly a scam. We reported it to Jim (the real front desk manager) the next day, who could only offer a block on our phone to our room.
What goes on in this hotel???? How is the safety of their guests assured? All in all, while some things were fine, due to safety concerns I have to rate this hotel stay as "poor:".

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TherealMrsSmith
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Digital Marketing Manager at Gold Coast Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Thank you for your recent visit to the Gold Coast. Our number one priority is to ensure the safety and comfort of our guests. We apologize for not meeting your expectations or ours. On your next visit to Las Vegas we hope you have a pleasant experience and thank you for being a loyal member of our B-connected program.
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

The Gold Coast is great value. It is not on the strip but is close enough. It also has a shuttle to the strip and you can use the neighbouring hotels - Rio and The Palms - shuttles as well.
It's a great place to stay if you are going to Penn and Teller next door at the Rio. It is safe enough to walk out the door of the Gold Coast and either go through the well lit covered car park and cross the road to the Rio or go along the main road.
It is a casino so there is a steady cloud of cigarette smoke on the casino floor but the hotel rooms are nicely decorated and have great air con.
The on-site restaurants are really reasonable. The ice cream store is amazing - don't order a double scoop unless you are really hungry.
The best thing to do here is graveyard bowling! After midnight bowling is only a dollar a game.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
sarnia ont.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

The Red Zone,which is located at the West end of the Casino by the Buffet serves great Bar snacks,with big discounts after midnight ($4.19 for chicken wings,fish & chips,onion rings etc.)Don,t walk past the Showroom,it features top notch acts(Jaz,Blues & pop)If you want a change from the main floor,try the lounge upstairs in the Bowling alley for good service and relaxation.Grab a slice of Pizza at the snack bar and wind Down(less than $4.00)Dont be proud,take theBus($5.00 for a 24 hour ticket) there are stops outside the GC and the Palms.the Palms bus takes you to the strip,Tuscany(very nice!),Terribles,Sams Town,and Eastside Cannery.You will see interesting sights & people on the way.The other direction (West) means that you wil have to transfer to anorth bound route (Red Rock,Arizona Charlies ect.) but do not use the Decatur stop unless you have a broad mind (Crackheads & Bums trying to hit you up for cigs or cash) .I use it all the time with no problems.Canadians beware,Tax is payable at 30% on slot & VP winnings over $1200.00 (Yes,they got me this time!!) I need tax forms & certified ID to get my tax back.I wonder whether my host can get me forms in time for my Oct visit?

Room Tip: DO NOT get a room next to the Ice machine Clink Clink Clink can drive you insane!! (I,m a light slee...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo