“The Golden Nugget is a great value in downtown Las Vegas hospitality” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Golden Nugget Hotel

and 1 more site!
Golden Nugget Hotel
Ranked #85 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Ohio
“The Golden Nugget is a great value in downtown Las Vegas hospitality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

My stay at the Golden Nugget was very good. I'm not a big fan of Las Vegas, but a business meeting was being held there so I had no choice. The Golden Nugget was a great value, very clean and comfortable, with excellent access to Fremont Street Experience. My only complaint is the high cost of internet access in the rooms. I didn't want to spend $11.99/day, but the room rate was so attractive I probably could have rationalized it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,723)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chapala, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

We don't gamble but this turned out to be a great stop on our trip. The pool is fantastic, with a huge aquarium and cascading waterfalls. A slide goes right through a tube in the aquarium making it appear that the sliders are right in there with the fish and the sharks.

The room was big and comfortable.

The only problem was a misunderstanding on the room rate. We booked the room for 2 nights and thought we had the rate for both nights but it went up on the second night. Apparently the rates fluctuate regularly there. When we asked about the changed rate as we checked out, we were shown the card that I had signed to check in. I found that in my tired state upon arriving, I had initialed the card in various spots as directed by the clerk but didn't notice that I was signing for an increased rate. My initials were there, so there was nothing that could be done about the rate. I learned a lesson -- always take the time to READ before I initial anything.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pilgrim45900
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

I wasn't going to write a review, but I noticed another guest fell ill while staying at this hotel.

The Rush Tower room we stayed in was modern, very clean and spacious. It was tremendous value for the price UNTIL I got food poisoning from the Buffet downstairs.

My son and husband lost a night's sleep due to the fact that I was in the bathroom, heaving, for over 24 hours....

It was really unfortunate since it otherwise would have been a great trip. If you eat ALL meals elsewhere, I could recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Book the Rush tower - it's fairly new
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank TravelGuru1973
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

I became violently ill after eating at the Chart House Restaurant located within the Golden Nugget property. After meticulously following their procedures for reporting my illness, the hotel management refused to acknowledge they were at fault, basically telling me the burden of proof was on me. This laissez-faire stance has cost them my future business. The Golden Nugget does not appear to value their customers' input, nor does the management express any empathy or apology for a trip ruined by circumstances that point to negligence on the hotel's part.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Dupont-Logan
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

Stayed at Golden Nugget the first time I visited Las Vegas, in april 1988, and after staying at different hotels on the Strip on my trips after that I decided to "go retro" and book The Golden Nugget again. Booked a Golden Tower room and it was unbelivable cheap, just around $750 for 10 days! We got to the hotel around 9 pm and check in was very fast and efficient which was a blessing after 28 hours of travel. GT elevators was close to front desk, pool and casinofloor. The room was very nice, spacious and clean with a big plasmascreen TV. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've slept in -ever! Bathroom had thick towels and bodylotion etc from the Spa. Free robes, ironingboard, safe and hairdryer.

Room is NOT soundproof so when the alarmclock goes off in the next room you will hear it (as well as early morning drinkers who scream and shouts in the hallway). BTW, the alarmclock docks with iPod.

Pool was very crowded even though it was mid april, lots of little kids running around. Be there early if you want one of the free chairs, on topfloor you can rent a chair (or cabana) for the day. Poolside service was a little bit understaffed but it is quick and easy to just visit the bar at groundfloor poolarea, you can buy snacks at the booth were they hand out the towels.

Buffé and Carson Street Café was ok. Lots of things going on at Fremont Street every evening/night, there are three stages that play different kind of livemusic/DJ. One day it was "movietime" outside the hotel when they filmed a sequence of "Lay the favourite" with Bruce Willis, it was fun to watch. It is easy and quick to get to The Strip with the bus just around the corner. You can buy a 24 hour pass for $7. Take the Express Bus if you are going to the Bellagio/Flamingo area, the "normal" bus stops at every corner and takes forever at rush hour.

Coffeemachine in the room cost $10 for 4 capsules/cups but the hotel is very close to Krispy Kreme were they serve good coffee and they also have free WiFi. Signed up for 24 karat clubcard (free) and got $5 to play for.

To sum up: We had a fantastic stay and I didn't miss The Strip as much as I thought I would. Frontdesk, maids, doormen and dealers were very friendly. Downtown you can get from casino to casino in just a few minutes. So, if you want a more posh stay you may be happier at a Strip-hotel but if you want cheap drinks, lots of different music and a great mix of people - you'll like downtown.

We will be back in may 2012 and for us Golden Nugget is our first choice.

Bi and Mia from Sweden

Room Tip: Like GN page at FB and get a discount
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Nyx17
Knutsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

I've been to Vegas for business and pleasure about 10 times in the past 15 years and have seen the rise and rise of downtown. It may be a little "blue collar" for some, but it is great value if you want to drink, eat and gamble a little in what is a small village of casinos in easy walking distance of each other.

The GN is great value - you'll easily pay double for the same room on the strip. The new Rush tower gives you some glitzier accommodation, if that's what you're looking for. If not, stay in the Carlton tower. Who spends time in their room in Vegas? You should also note that GN does NOT charge the "resort fees" that are springing up all over Vegas - $10 or so added to your bill for "your convenience" for using the pool or high speed internet.

The only thing that shocked me was the $10 fee for a Sun Bed by the pool - and they are pretty well packed in with little shade, so load up on the sun screen. At least you have the choice of spening the $10 or not!

The buffet is good for breakfast weekdays - with little or no queues. It's better value that the coffee shop for the same meal - and you can get eggs cooked to order in front of you. Coffee is best bought and the two on-site Starbucks outlets.

A small stroll will take you to Main Street Station - great brewpub for food and beer and a good buffet.

The bus to the strip is easy - it picks up either end of Freemont Street. There's a map at check-in. $7 will get you a 24hr pass, which you need to buy before you board at the ticket machine, cards + cash, but no change. If you can, take the express which (unsurprisingly) is faster. Use that to get to the strip and walk betweent the stops. The other bus, the deuce, is double decked, but busier and makes more stops.

If you're flight arrives at a convenient time, and you have little luggage, you can really save $ by splashing out $3 on an express bus from the airport almost directly to the hotel. Google las vegas westcliff airport express. This leaves every hour from level 0 of the airport. If you do get a cab, tell them not to take the tunnel - this will add $5 to the fare.

Room Tip: Try the $20 dollar trick......
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank AONE5
Monroe, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2011

This was my first time staying on Fremont and I wasn't sure what to expect. Friends recommended that we give it a try and for the price we were game. Check in was smooth as we paid extra for VIP. They were booked full so there were no upgrades available but they were able to get us rooms close together so that was good. We stayed in the Carson tower and the room was very clean and bed comfortable. We had a view of the strip but of course it was a ways away. Casino was like any other. Not a whole lot happens on Fremont during the week in the spring. We were there for the ACM's so Saturday night had free concerts with big name country artists but nothing the nights after. My friend got sick (probably from airplane) and pretty much was stuck in the room the whole trip so I had to hang with my spouse and friends spouse the entire time. We didn't find a lot to do except gamble and play bingo. Both a lot more fun in Fremont! There were a lot of kids at the pool but it was spring break time. Just don't get why people take their kids to Vegas but I guess that's just me. We did check out all the other hotels in that area and found this one to definately be the best. Not sure if I'd stay downtown again and if I did I would more than likely go in summertime when there is more happening. Food/drinks/gambling much cheaper however and for that I definately liked it.

Room Tip: If you want to go to the strip take the EXPRESS!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends