“Good basic hotel but a long way from the Strip”

Golden Nugget Hotel
Ranked #89 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Good basic hotel but a long way from the Strip”
Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the last part of an organised tour that took in San Francisco, Los Angeles and Laughlin. The hotel is downtown on the Fremont Experience, quite a way from the Strip. There is however a good bus service ($8 for a day pass, $20 for 3 days) but it does take quite a while to get to the Strip. Rooms were clean and comfortable but there is a $12.99 daily charge for wifi. The area around the hotel is "loud". Lots of people partying from early morning to late at night but rooms on the upper floor were quiet. Lots of shops and restaurants to choose from. The GN Buffet restaurant was good value especially if you use the buy one get one free coupon. The casino area was very busy with gamblers/drinkers but I was surprised that smoking is still allowed in most areas causing discomfort to us non-smokers. Although I enjoyed my time here, if I go to Vegas again I will pay extra and stay in a hotel on the Strip.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,825)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I stayed here for the first time over a weekend. My family had two connecting rooms in the Gold Tower, which was the North Tower. We had the VIP check-in and access but never really needed the line pass. The elevator situation is not great for this tower. It seemed that only 3 of them were working and the wait was considerable the entire time. The room was fairly nice but if the air conditioning isn't running the room gets stuffy quickly. The bed was comfortable and the toiletries were nice. The gym and spa were excellent and were not very busy the entire weekend. The cardio room is well stocked with water and towels. The weight room is similar but it is a little cramped. We had breakfast at the cafe and the buffet. The buffet is much better and so is the service. It is comparable to buffets on the strip. The cafe is par for the course for downtown. This really is the nicest place downtown by far and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2013

In April 2013 I was on my way to Zion National Park to do some hiking. I had planned to stay in Las Vegas for a couple of nights before renting a car and driving to the park.
Browsing the internet I came across a great rate of $59 per night at the Golden Nugget.
My flight wasn't scheduled to get in until late in the evening, so at this price I was prepared for a very mediocre room at best.
Much to my surprise, when I checked in I was told that I had been upgraded to a refurbished room in the tower.
The room was excellent. It seemed very new. The lighting and furnishing was very tastefully done. The bathroom was 5-star quality. The bed was very comfortable.
The front desk continued to be helpful throughout my two night stay. The hotel staff had a great attitude towards guests.
On checking out I braced myself for some hidden charge, but there wasn't one. My bill matched exactly what I had been quoted on-line.
It was one hell-of-a deal.

Footnote:
The hotel has an outdoor pool area if you are into sunbathing
There is a MacDonalds within walking distance of the hotel.
The hotel charges for WIFI but I think you can find free WIFI access closeby, possibly at Starbucks.

Room Tip: 1.Try to negotiate a free upgrade to a room in the refurbished tower section if the hotel isn't...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I want a fair price, good location, comfy bed, clean room and a good pool when i'm in Vegas. Golden Nugget was perfect for all that. Stayed in Carson Tower on budget as this was just a quick, cheap trip from Portland, OR to get some sun. I was perfectly happy. I did do the $25 VIP check in. No wait to check in or out. Water, juice and peanuts/m&m's anytime you want in the VIP lounge, until 11pm. Guarantees your room request and gets you VIP passes for buffet and such-which we didn't use. You've already been warned about water and kcups and internet, so, ya know, be prepared. Walk from Carson to casino was not too far to me, especially seeing some of the large casinos on the strip. In a minute we were on the floor. Plus, away from Fremont = quiet! Pool is super crowded. If you're an adult w/o kids who wants to relax by the pool finding your way to the upper decks is where it's at. $20 to reserve a lounger for the day, which I didn't do, but might next time. Fun people, much smaller area to hang out it and meet other travellers. Towards the early evening we were able to hang out there by buying a few drinks, which we were planning on doing anyway. I drank a beer and watched baseball from the pool, yes! The adult pool is open until 2am, so go on up for an evening swim. The water slide was fun!!! I'm 42 and went down it multiple times with all the kids. Carson cafe was adequate for breakfast, friendly staff. All other food we ate was off site. This is a fun, lively hotel. I would totally go back! East Fremont is being revitalized with some pretty neat bars and restaurants, more of a hip, community vibe getting started down there, check it out! And walked to the Mob Museum, which I loved!

Room Tip: Carson Tower was not fancy, but completely acceptable and quiet. Quiet. We were on the 8th floor...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank LKS11
Houston
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I was staying at the hotel for a few days while on a business trip. I was impressed with the size of the room and the amenities. It took a long time to check in because there was only one clerk and she did not seem to be in a hurry. You also have to wait on hold for a while when you are trying to reach the reception desk. One thing to remember about this hotel, is it is right on Fremont St and the party goes into the night. If you'd like to sleep at night before your workday tomorrow, you may want to consider asking for a room on "the quiet side" of the hotel - on the opposite side from the street. Some of my coworkers said the front desk asked them what side they wanted to be on when they were checking in. My husband and I weren't offered that option and the noise was unlike anything we've ever heard. The hotel has spacious meeting rooms and they also serve good food.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep at night, ask for a room on the 'quiet side'.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed at the Golden Nugget (gold tower) on Cinco De Mayo so we did not have to drive home after partying (we are locals) I have never stayed here before so i was a little unsure of what to expecet. After we checked in and got settled in the room we went down to the pool, it was wonderful. Everyone was friendly and because it wasn't as warm as it had been the week before there were plenty of places to sit. We swam for a but and played on the slide. The lifeguards were amazing, one of them had to jump in and get a little girl who had came down the slide and wasnt coming back up fast enough. I am glad to know the lifeguards are paying close attention. After the pool we went to the room and showered,and got ready for dinner and going out. The bathroom was a little on the tiny side but it was nice and super clean. The room had 2 full beds, the girl told us they were queen but they were not. However, the best was so comphy and nice that it more than made up for it. They had 2 elevators down so it took a bit to get to and from the room but nothing major. In the am we called for morw towels, since we had used them after the pool. The housekeeping was wonderful, they answered the phone with my name and had our towels up to the room in less than 5 mins. Check out was quick and easy. we had the car in valet and they were also quick and friendly. he put in out luggage and opened all the doors for us. The only thing i had an issue with it that the only oulets were in the bathroom, and it was only 2. Other than that it was a great price and a great stay. We will be back again!

Room Tip: Avoid the carson tower, the rooms are old and they tend to have issues.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Edmonton
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We love the nugget....We will never stay on the strip again. We always stay in the rush tower the beds are comfy and the rooms are really clean. Staff is great and all the restraunts are awesome except there buffet upstairs just GROSE. Other than that it was great. Can,t wait to go back next year.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple