“The Queen of Freemont Street”

Golden Nugget Hotel
Ranked #92 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I stayed at the Golden Nugget in early May. This hotel is the queen of Freemont Street. I stayed in the Carson Tower on the 17th floor. The room was spacious and quiet. There was no street noise. The room had 2 double beds. There was a 37-40 inch flat screen TV. There was a safe in the room that was free to use. The bathroom was OK but could use upgrading. There was a spring shower nozzle in the shower. The carpets were clean. The hotel as a rule was well kept but could use some updating. The pool was a decent size but the lounge chairs are very close to each other. You had to pay for Wi-Fi and there was no free TV. I enjoyed my stay and I would stay at the GN again.

Room Tip: Ask for the Carson Tower to avoid all the noise from bands on Freemont Street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank chibearbob
Write a ReviewReviews (11,351)

Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel to celebrate Mother's day and my birthday. My kids 8 and 13 year old had a blast, the slide that goes through the shark tank is spectacular. The atmosphere is suitable for children and the hotel service is great.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2013

My husband and I just got back from an extended weekend stay at the Golden Nugget (May 10-13) and had a fantastic time. We stayed in the Rush Tower and the check in is at a separate counter and we waited less than 3 minutes to check in. The rooms are beautifully done! The bed was so comfortable with all that soft white sheet bedding and down comforter. The bathroom was well laid out and the room itself was a nice sized room. Since it was just the two of us, we had plenty of room to spread out and tons of room to spare. Our view was a parking garage but we also could see out to the strip which was nice. We heard absolutely no noise whatsoever from Fremont Street or our neighbors. It was dead quiet every time we were in the room.

We rented lounge chairs in the Hideout one day and it was worth every penny for those chairs. The main pool deck was just packed with families and kids. I have nothing against kids considering I have two myself, but when you are not traveling with them, you want to get away from kids in general especially down in Vegas. This Hideout was a perfect place for us. Our chairs were reserved in advance so we didn't have to get up at zero dark thirty to get our spot at the pool. We leisurely rolled onto the pool deck right at 10 AM and were escorted to our lounge chairs and a beverage server was immediately in front of us offering to get us a drink. It was so nice! The Hideout had it's own separate pool that had cushions up against the sides so you could lean up and sunbathe in the water comfortably. The Hideout was also just steps away from the top of the water slide that goes through the shark tank. We had to do that a few times and it was pretty cool!

We had dinner one night at Grotto and it was very good, All of the employees at the Golden Nugget were very kind and helpful. We never ran into anyone rude or unpleasant. We spent a lot of time on the casino floor and most of the dealers were fun and engaging. We did find a few who were duds and didn't want to engage in conversation but there's always a few like that in the bunch.

We had fun doing the whole Fremont experience and being able to walk from casino to casino in just a few steps instead of taking a taxi place to place like you do on the strip. We did take the bus one day to the strip to experience the other part of Vegas and had a blast. The strip is also a lot of fun but downtown just seems to be a little more personal. I've been coming to Vegas once or twice a year for the last 20+ years and this was the first time I stayed off the strip.

On our next trip down to Vegas, I plan to stay here again. I was such a great experience!

Room Tip: Stay in a room not facing Fremont and you will have no noise issues.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Julie U
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We have stayed at the Nugget several times over the years but, sadly, the "glitz" seems to have worn away somehow. This is probably due to its gaining popularity with the younger generations (Okay, we admit, maybe us old dodderers are getting past all that stuff).
There was a time when sun loungers were always available, and "space" was one of those luxuries you don't realise you have until it is gone. For us, The Nugget is now far too busy and far too noisy. Standards are slipping. You can, of course, avoid most of the bedlam by upgrading to rooms in the Gold tower etc - which we did (after a spot of bartering that eventually got $20 per night shaved off the cost). I mean, they have no "resort fee", so why not use this saving on an upgrade? We also checked out the room before registering and would advise everyone else to do so.
The buffet is now about the worst in Vegas; especially to those of us who remember it from previous years. Best food we had was from The Grill - a cheeseburger and fries ... split between two of us.
Oh, you want to hear something good? OK. Now we have been coming to Vegas for almost thirty years and all I ever wanted was to get that elusive Royal Flush on the poker machine. Guess what... Yep, just three days away from going home I finally did it!
Oh to hell with it ... I LOVE THE NUGGET!!

Room Tip: Always check room before registering - for noise, cleanliness etc
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank scouser70
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I have made over 25 trips to Vegas, since 1991, and stayed in 17 different hotels.
The Golden Nugget is the best value, and by far my families favorite place to stay in Vegas.

The rooms in the Rush tower are nicer than the rooms I have stayed at on the strip (except for the Venetian) for considerably less. That said, I don't stay in the Rush tower any more. Why? The Gold tower rooms are closer to the casino, and while not as undated as the Rush tower rooms, they are still very nice, and cheaper to boot!

The service at the GN is a good (usually better) as I have experienced any where in Vegas, For example, when I called for a bellman to pick up my bags, they immediately transferred me over to the valet parking desk so that my car would be ready when the bags got downstairs.

The bed are comfortable, with nice linens, Nice flat panel TVs. (Horrible channel selection as with ALL Vegas casinos. They want you out of the room, spending money)

What are the negatives? Really only two:
#1)The GN isn't on the strip. (Is that really a negative? Not for us)
#2) The buffet is not worth the effort.

Room Tip: There are Kuerig coffee makers in the rooms, but take your own K-cups, the ones in the rooms are exp...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank redrhinorr
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Just got back from a weekend in Vegas. The Golden Nugget was superb! I was a bit unsure because like many reviewers I have only stayed on the strip. I have stayed at Bellagio, Treasure Island and New York New York and the Nugget was every bit as nice in all areas as far as I could see. Check in was a breeze even on Friday at 3 pm. I did opt for the $25 VIP check in, which was great but the regular line was not bad at all. In fact I never saw a long check in line the whole time I was there. The pool is great even though it is sometimes crowded. All the staff was very nice and efficient. Our room was a Gold Tower pool view and It was also very nice, clean and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable, carpet in good shape, good AC unit and a very good housekeeping staff. We had so much fun at the Nugget and the whold Fremont Experience we never even made it up to the strip like we had planned. No reason to leave, they have it all! Some reviewers complain about the noise from the street but I guess it all depends on where your room is. Facing the pool was just perfect. We never made it to bed before 4 am so I guess it wouldn't have mattered anyway. The little grill at the sports book has great food and very affordable. The Carson Street Cafe is also really good with good prices as well. All in all it was a fantastic weekend and I can't wait to return to the Nugget in the fall.

Room Tip: If you dont want to hear the Fremont noise reserve a pool view room in the Gold or Rush Towers.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank joemcgeever
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Travel here for a week April 28th to May 5th. 6 of us stayed at this hotel and could not have had a better time anywhere else. From the check in until check out everything was awesome. With Fremont St right outside the door this hotel has everything you would want. The food at Carson st cafe was great with big portions and priced well. Only ate at the breakfast buffett twice and was satisfied each time, worth the price as well. Pool got a little crowed at times but there was plenty of chairs to go around. Am already planning our next trip back.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends