“Great deal on a Sunday night”

Golden Nugget Hotel
Ranked #93 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We were planning on staying on the outskirts of Vegas, but found a great deal here for a Sunday night Carson Tower room. Room was large, well appointed, clean, and had a nice view. The furnishings were amusing because they seemed new but the style quite outdated. Didn't use the pool but it looked nice. Also the parking situation was annoying because the self-park garage had the "FULL" sign lit, but once we decided to go in anyway found out there was a ton of space. So wasn't a big issue, but caused unnecessary stress. We were in the middle of a road trip, and had no interest in the free valet with a car full of our belongings. Marked down the service rating because the Carson Tower desk was stupidly closed at 5 PM, and I had to wait in line a while at the other desk.

2  Thank sukhoi_584th
Write a ReviewReviews (11,160)

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stayed at the Golden Nugget several years ago. The rooms were well maintained and the hotel was a great value, We recently went back to this grand hotel and found that the rooms in the Carson Tower are in need of some care. Other (newer towers would put the price of the hotel on par with newer properties in the more popular area of Vegas on the "strip."

We paid an additional fee to ensure that we received the type of room we requested. This "VIP" fee cost an additional $29 for the entire stay and ensured that we would get a king bed in a non-smoking room. The card also promises that the customer would go to the head of a line at a variety of venues. The VIP card did give us the room promise, but as for the VIP treatment at restaurants, you merely wait on another line that moves slowly.

We did get the room we asked for, a king bed in a non-smoking room. The room however had holes in the wall, a loud heater/air conditioner, a bathtub that would not drain (and not repaired after two calls to the hotel) and a bathtub with rotted caulking. The hotel told us that the Carson Tower was their older property, but being a 4-star hotel, you would think it would be well-cared for...it was not. Although the bed was comfortable, it appeared as if the hotel was trying to sell it to their customers, Every night the room attendant put a sign on the bed indicating that the bed was for sale...somewhat odd.

Room Tip: If you are planning a trip to Las Vegas and want to stay in the Fremont area, consider spending the...
3  Thank Dennis H
Reviewed 9 January 2014

After a poor experience last July 2013 and not complaining, we stayed in the Gold Tower 23-28 December for one last chance. After over 25 years of supporting the GN through all of her changes and owners have decided the current owner(s) are ruining the place. Staff as always very wonderful folks but if you get a chance to ask them about the subtle disgusting changes - they immediately concur. Door handle at entrance was missing, carpet runners of once elegant entryway were worn at the steps and quite dirty. Once through the doors the smell of smoke from the casino is immediately noticed (NEVER before). VIP check-in great and worth the price. No longer do you see hotel personnel at the Gold Tower elevators - anyone can and does have access to the upper floors. Used to be you had to show a room key to go upstairs. Room was clean, towels have been changed to the cheaper variety - our mattress was worn, and you could read a book through a few of the sheets. Hairs in the tub - not ours, caulking missing in multiple places, fan didn't work in the bathroom, sink chipped and the bathroom door handle was loose on the inside. Room service - nothing but Italian food - because they have closed the Carson Street Cafe. If you want anything other than Italian - you must wait until 1030 at night for the late night menu to kick-in. The GN used to be a class act and perhaps if you haven't frequented over the past many years you might not notice how the current owners have brought a certain cheapness to the once grand dame. This is a resort - I expect the $10 in-room coffee, the $7 bottle of water but I don't expect the smells and sights as in this past visit. Landry's needs to reward its ever amazing, always cheerful staff at the GN because they are the ones listening to the complaints and working their tails off to make right from wrong. There isn't one employee in that hotel who could look me in the eye and not tell me the place hasn't changed for the worse. Sure it's all about the money, business IS business but somehow quit expanding, control yourselves put some effort into the original GN I'm sure Mr. Wynn would do it!

5  Thank Lori E
Reviewed 8 January 2014

well, I remember the Nugget in the good ole days and have watched it's evolution since Wynn's ownership.... The hotel is still classy and friendly, good food although a bit over priced but not as bad as the strip. Employees are friendly and accommodating, available and helpful when needed. the carson tower as mentioned in another review, is the oldest of the towers. I agree that new beds and decor is only a minor step to making the room worthy of the hotel's reputation and price.but the room is large and pleasant, quiet and comfortable. then you start getting nit picky. my issues are always with the bathroom. old caulking, dirty grout, and a tub that did not drain. we stood ankle deep in soapy water. yuck!! anyway. I continue to stay here because of it's other qualities and it's central location to downtown.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank carey_karen4396
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We didn't actually stay at the Golden Nugget, but had gone for the pool. The staff went above and beyond to be helpful. Everyone was friendly and of great assistance. So, much that we have planned our trips to stay there from now on.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Nugget starting News Years Eve. I have stayed there before and really enjoyed the Fremont Experience. So I was shocked and upset when I discovered the doors to Fremont street were only accessible News Years Eve if you had a wrist band you were required to purchase for $30-$44 ( depended on where you purchased one). I had booked my room in the Carson Tower several months prior and I was never informed of the extra fee for
access to Fremont Street. We felt like prisoners. We paid a high price for the room ($270 with tax) and then being required to cough up another $90 to enjoy Fremont Street was disappointing to say the least! If I return to enjoy New Years in Vegas I will consider the Strip next time. Our room was nice, the bed comfortable, but if you want coffee in the morning it will cost you $10 for 4 Keurig pods! We enjoyed looking around at the many different casinos on the Strip and we took 2 day trips that are well worth the drive from the Nugget. Check out Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire, I don't think you will be sorry. The days of the .99 cent shrimp cocktails and $1.99 steak and eggs are gone in Vegas :-(

Room Tip: Carson Tower is quite a walk to the casino and Fremont Street. The Carson registration desk was clo...
2  Thank CharleneMc_13
Amy C, Public Relations Manager at Golden Nugget Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

I'm sorry to hear that you felt like a prisoner on your vacation, we would never want that! The Fremont Street Experience is a free attraction 364 nights out of the year, but on New Year's Eve they charge a fee in order to both provide outstanding headline entertainment (this year boasted concerts by Vince Neil, Papa Roach, Blues Traveler and more) as well as control the crowds on such a busy night. The Golden Nugget does not receive any part of that fee, it goes completely to the Fremont Street Experience to cover their costs for entertainment and security. They actually do not make a profit. I hope that you will give us another try on another night during the year so you can experience the free entertainment right outside our doors.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed in the Carson Tower. True, the beds are new, and they put up new hotel art in the rooms. Robes in the room to encourage pool use is a very good idea. However, it was like the adage " putting lipstick on a pig" because the whole room stank like sewer gas coming out of the sink, and the A/C unit was the old rattling floor- mounted unit from I suspect the early 80s. Upon a sneak peek of our friend's room in the Rush Tower, as we were departing, I realized they were staying at a much better hotel. From the upscale decor to the ambient music, central A/C mounted to the wall with a civilized thermostat to clean, perfumed rooms I felt sincerely rooked. If I had known the huge discrepancy between the rooms and quality of stay, I would have opted for the slightly more expensive experience.

Room Tip: Unless you're pinching every penny until it screams, avoid the Carson Tower.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank formerlocal

Thank you for bringing the issues with your Carson Tower room to our attention. Can you please email me at publicrelations@goldennugget.com with your room number so I can have someone look into the sewer smell. While the Rush Tower rooms are more modern (they were built in 2009), we still feel it's important to provide a quality product in our Carson Tower at a good value.