“Golden Nugget is a Shining Star of Downtown!”

Golden Nugget Hotel
Ranked #90 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The pool is amazing! Imagine this the waterslide goes thru and aquarium, cool right? I love it and you will too. Rooms are spacious and lovely, we were on the 10th floor and happy as claims. The slots were smiling upon us and made our trip even sweeter. There is a Claim Jumper restaurant at the hotel and that was a great surprise. We loved being about to walk out the door of the casino and begin the Fremont experience. We casino hoped and Ziplined wow that was a rush! ! we stayed from 6/20-6/22.

Room Tip: we were on the 10th floor and had no issues with noise or anything.
1  Thank PoppyRushing
There are newer reviews for Golden Nugget Hotel

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We always stay on the Vegas Strip but this time we decided to stay downtown and we had a blast! The Golden Nugget is right in the center of the action. Instead of walking a mile to every casino you just step out the door and WOW you are in all of the action! Stay in the Rush Tower Gold Club rooms! They are fantastic and you are treated to the VIP status! The rooms are spacious and beautiful!

Room Tip: Stay in the Rush Tower Gold Club rooms-VIP status!
1  Thank DonHalazon
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Loved this hotel, cheap room through Expedia and had all the main necessities that one would expect. Also the bars and staff very welcoming and helpful, and the buffet was one of the highlights. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2014

There's a lot to be said for staying downtown -close to the Fremont Experience and outlet shopping, and better place to gamble if you don't want to lose your shirt. If you do stay downtown, Golden Nugget is your best bet. It's right on Fremont Street, and it's far and away the classiest place downtown. And it's right next door to Golden Gate which may not have the *best* shrimp cocktail ever made, but it's the best shrimp cocktail you can get 24/7 for $2.99. Alas, it was not to be on this trip. Rumor had it that the culinary workers were going to walk out on strike, and this reviewer does not cross a picket line even for the best of shrimp cocktails.

But I digress. I was primarily interested in the pool area at the Golden Nugget, and wasn't disappointed. I loved the shark tank, the 3 story water slide, the DJ playing house music in the afternoon, the waterfall, the adult infinity pool with bar area, and the alcoholic popsicles. I didn't love the crowds, but late in the afternoon it was possible to find free recliners. Nor did I like the fact that you had to pay to use the adult area, but it was so inconsistently enforced that I never had to cough up the $25.

The rooms were like... rooms. There's really not much difference between one place and another. The Carson Tower was perfectly adequate, and the mattress and pillows were decent. The AC was noisy though, and charging $10 for instant coffee is really beyond the pale. What I did like was the convenience to the parking garage from the rooms. Much better than most large hotels.

The food was nothing to write home about. The buffet was ordinary. But whatever, you can drive or take the Deuce to the strip and get your fine dining fix at places like Aria, Cosmopolitan, Caesars, and Wynn.

4  Thank gregsf11
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We've always stayed on the strip but would visit Fremont street. Recently we stayed at Golden Nugget Biloxi and Loved everything about it. With that said we thought we'd give Fremont a try. We stayed in the new tower...15th floor Jr suite. The room was tastefully decorated... However very dusty, dirty bathtub and we found a previous guest had forgotten a sock under the Ottoman. We were both surprised when we were told that the gym required us to each purchase a $20.00 per day pass and internet $12.00 per day. Both complementary in most on the strip. What's with all the children in the casino? Seriously strollers in the casino... Fremont street? Those is not an "adult playground". Couldn't get close to the pool...children everywhere. Enjoyed Chart House...fantastic service! Love fremont excitement, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank cocoabeachgirl
Reviewed 20 June 2014

They say sequels are rarely as good as the first and unfortunately this rings true for my second visit in a year at the Golden Nugget. Our first visit back in December was met with fantastic customer service, a very generous upgrade, fantastic casino experience and a mind blowing pool. This trip wasn't the worst I've had but definitely left me disappointed and wondering if it's worth coming back.

The room was exactly as I expected and remembered from our last visit. The only issue we had with the room itself was that the sink drains smelled like a sewer, the lights above the bathroom mirror were burned out and once again, there are no electrical outlets to plug your phone into next to the bed! Your only options are the floor or bathroom. You would think in this day and age there would be plenty of plug ins available on the nightstand since most people use their phones in bed as alarms or entertainment. This isn't exclusive to this hotel but if you want to impress me, please, pay attention to the details!

Now for the worst part of the trip. The main and pretty much only reason we stayed here this trip was to use the pool. My understanding was that there was a pool on the third floor for people 16 and over and the main tank pool for everyone. We went up and spent some time in the upper pool then went downstairs to the main pool. It was crowded but fun and relaxing and the service was great. The second day we went to return to the upper deck pool to avoid all the small kids. I walked in with no issue, asked an attendant if the lounge chairs were free to use and she said "yes, first come first serve" so I put my bag down and turned around to see where my husband was. He was standing outside the door asking me to come over. There was an employee standing next to him that wouldn't let him in. The employee actually grabbed his backpack, pulled him back and said he wasn't allowed in! He said it was pay to use and we needed a reservation. We had used this same pool the day prior with no issue, there were no signs that I could see stating payment and reservations were required for anything other than a day bed AND I went in with no problem what-so-ever! There was even another couple from Canada in an argument with this same employee about his attitude and that they also had previously used the pool for free and wondered why the doors were wide open if it was a pay to use pool. We then went to grab some towels to use in the main pool but the lifeguard said we couldn't use the towels that were there and to come back in 15-20 minutes for no apparent reason. I asked to speak with a manager and while he was polite, he was unapologeticd and offered nothing to make up for what happened.

We tried finding seats downstairs at the main pool but it was completely filled up. The cleanliness was lacking as there are no garbage cans in the pool area. I slipped and fell in a puddle of melted ice cream and even though I brought it to an employees attention and I saw an employee almost fall herself in the same puddle, no one came to clean it up. I really felt like we were being treated as an inconvenience instead of paying guests. And honestly, I know this review makes me sound like a jerk, but I'm really not hard to please and we had an absolutely perfect experience last time we visited less than a year ago!

My issue doesn't lie with the fact that you have to pay to use the age restricted pool. My issue is that the employee grabbed my husband's backpack and was so rude to not only us but the other couple that was nearby and the manager just didn't seem to want to help. I also had a small annoyance with the new player's card. I was told to change my old one to a new one but when I did, all the machines I tried to use rejected the new card so I wasn't able to accumulate any more rewards points.

Overall I'm disappointed and not very eager to stay here again. If we decide to stay on Fremont Street it will likely be at a different property. It seems the Golden Nugget has become too nice and too well known too quickly and they're unable to handle themselves. The check in lines were always long, the valet crowded and service lacking. I'd recommend them if you're not going to use their amenities but if you plan on enjoying the pool or casino I'd think twice.

Room Tip: I'd recommend staying in the Rush Tower. It's non-smoking, newly renovated and really pretty...
5  Thank David M
Reviewed 20 June 2014

If you are looking for a location central to the Fremont Street experience and downtown Las Vegas, this one is hard to beat. I have visited for both business and pleasure recently on two separate occasions and have never been disappointed. The rooms are very well set out and always clean. The service among all the hotel staff was among the best I have received in Las Vegas. This is not the cheap and low end downtown Golden Nugget of years past. The remodels throughout the facility have turned it into a top end destination. The two high end pools and shark tank are worth the visit. Great food in a wide variety of offerings. It is a simple walk out the front door and you are right smack in the middle of the Fremont experience to enjoy free concerts and events on what seems like a non-stop basis.

Room Tip: Either twer provides great rooms. One tower is supposed to be the lower end, but if it is, then the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business