“Awesome old and charming hotel”

Golden Nugget Hotel
Ranked #89 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Los Angeles, California
“Awesome old and charming hotel”
Reviewed 5 March 2010

This was the first time my friends and I had stayed at Downtown LV and we had never heard of the Golden Nugget before and, to be honest, we were a bit skeptical about staying here but the cheap prices lured us in. We were NOT disappointed. The GN is an old, charming hotel with lots of personality. The lobby was beautiful and clean; the marble floors were impecable, too. Our room was cozy and comfortable; we are smokers and opted for a smoking-room which was a mistake because four smokers in a two-bed suite makes for a lot of smoke and heavy breathing, but that's our fault. Eventhough we did not eat at the hotel's restaurant, we could tell it was a nice little place. The pool area is awesome, trendy and hip. The casino has that 70s charm to it and we just loved gambling and drinking there. Also loved the fact that Fremont St. is right around the corner and if you want to do some fun, cheap shopping then you'll feel in heaven there.
All I can say is that if you want an awesome Vegas experience without a whole lot of spending, then go to the GN.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank MexguyUSA26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,857)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Michigan
Reviewed 4 March 2010

We have been to Vegas many, many, many times and have never stayed Downtown. As a matter of fact, my husband had never even been downtown before so this trip out we decided to stay one night downtown and the other two nights on the strip (THE Hotel, see other review).

I believe it was about a 20$ cab ride from the aiport, but honestly I forget now. Check in folks were very nice and we stayed in a Gold Tower room, was about 60 bucks via their website.

The hotel was alot nicer than I thought it would be actually. I had a minds eye view of the downtown hotels and don't know about the others, but GN was classy, clean and well appointed.

The room was wonderful really. Super comfy bed, nice side bathroom, flat screen tv (never turned it on so can't comment). Better than many of the rooms at the mid level hotels we have stayed at on the strip. Certainly not as nice as Bellagio, MGM or Mandaly but I guess that goes without saying for most.

Casino was great, checked out alot of them downtown but mostly played here. Others have said they were lean on the payoff but we did not experience that. Found an Invaders From Planet Moolah here and had a ton of fun for quite a long time on that quirky little machine! Spent a good bit of time at one of the sit up bars (can't remember which on) and fell upon a Video Poker machine that really, really liked us - hit 400$ bucks twice on it. Gambling gods were smiling on us here. Actually came back to that same one the next morning, however a very nice lady was perched on it. We waited.....and waited....and waited but she was not moving!! We were joking with her and she promised after her last deal she was on her way. Low and behold....her last spin she hit the jackpot. Rats for us but good for her. High fives all around.

Food: Sorry, can't comment. Did not eat at the GN. Did have the buffet at the Paradise across the way and it was really very good and very reasonable. Would eat there again (breakfast).

Pool: Too cold but looked very nice. On the small side in my opinion. Bet it is jammed in the summer time.

Downtown Experience: Interesting. Lots of characters down there. Nothing to complain about on our end but I wouldn't roam around down there by myself. Street is a party to be sure. You can walk around with drink in hand so you know how that goes. I'd like to comment on the light show, but I'll be darned...we missed it!!! How might you ask? Well we roamed into Glitter Gultch (what the heck....why not....it's Vegas) and ended up hanging out there quite a while. While certainly not a high end club, service was good at least. Let's just say husband did not spend a whole lotta time staring at the various ladies, every one outta ten was at least average. Made it fun thought. I will say I woke up the next morning without my drivers license and new I left it there when I cashed out the card. Had to hang around till 11 the next morning to get back in (nice...on a Sunday morning....lurking around the club entrance waiting for them to open). Managers searched high and low and found it behind the bar. They went out of their way to find that sucker for me. Very much appreciated as I needed it to fly home!

Yes, I would stay at the Golden Nugget again and would recommend it to others.

Enjoy and have fune.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Martini 425
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 3 March 2010

We have stayed at the Golden Nugget many times over the years and keep returning because the cost per night stay is always very reasonable for the room type and ammenities available. We have always been treated very well by all staff members we've encountered. I had booked a king room in the Carson Tower for 6 nights using my slot club card (which is what I typically do) but at check-in was given an upgrade to the new Rush Tower. WOW - the linens, bathrobes, flat screen TV, spa like bathroom, and leather seating area were far beyond my expectations! We LOVE the pool and spa and try to take advantage of them as often as we can.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank TNGal08
Wyandotte, Michigan
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Once again my stay at the Golden Nugget was successful. I have stayed here many times and have yet to have a bad experence. Maybe I don't set overly high standards or something, but I always enjoy myself when I stay here. I was at the Golden Nugget from February 16 - 19, 2010 for work and stayed in the North or I guess it is called the Golden tower now. My room was very comfortable and the bed was to die for. I slept every nite as if I was at home in my own bed. We arrived at about 11:00 a.m and waited about 10 minutes to check in. Our room was ready, and we were on our way in no time. We had a room with a view of the pool area. The weather was in the high 60's low 70's and there were alot of people using the pool area. The family pool was heated to 83 and the adult pool is heated to 90. I didn't do great on the slots, but a friend of mine hit for $900.00, so I guess it is just the luck of the draw. Would I go back and stay here again, you better believe it. If it is the hussle and bussle you are looking for, then maybe downtown is not where you want to stay, but if you just want to be able to relax and have some fun then try the Nugget, I think you will find it is well worth it.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mymisfit
Independence, Missouri
Reviewed 28 February 2010

I loved staying in downtown and the newly remodeled Golden Nugget was the perfect choice. I enjoyed being able to take the Deuce to the strip and play during the day but come back to Fremont Street at night and watch the amazing video shows overhead. Excellent food and rooms. I will likely stay here on my next trip to Vegas because out of the 4 places I've stayed, this is by far my favorite.

Stayed February 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Beautiful Lobby, very elegant for the money paid. In the old part of Vegas, but just a very elegant hotel to stay at.

Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I'm a single traveller between 50 and 65 years of age who booked through Expedia and got a real deal on my flight and hotel from Feb. 17 to 24 at the GN. First time I've been a guest there. At around 9PM there wasn't much of a wait at the front desk and the 3 ladies working it were all very nice, efficient and one in particular very cooperative at accommodting my requests. Those being a high floor with a view of the strip and a king bed. I had to settle for two double beds which turned out to be OK because it was so clean and comfortable that I slept like a baby. The quality, size and cleanliness of the room was very good. The walk from the eleavator was exhausting but I lived through it. I'm talking about the good, old Carson (South) tower. The view of the back of the county jail (OJ stayed there) and the Strip were fun and OH! So Las Vegas. Seeing the tallest mountain of those surrounding the valley covered in snow after a night of rain in town from my 19th floor window was something I'll never forget. Mt. Charelston, I believe. Just beautiful. I only visited the buffet once for breakfast which was a real quality treat. Loved it! I never enclountered a grumpy staff member. Everybody was great to deal with. Think quality when you think Golden Nugget LV. You won't be disappointed unless you are prone to being disappointed. The shared shark tank by the pool should be seen by all visitors in the downtown area. Other worldly. I look forward to going back to the GN soon.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo