“No reason to stay anywhere but the Hard Rock”

Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Las Vegas
Ranked #78 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I have stayed at all the major Hotel/Casinos in Las Vegas and while some may have newer rooms or bigger poker room, bigger gaming floor etc, the Hard Rock is by far the best place to stay and play in Las Vegas. The main reason is the staff. The Hard Rock has the most friendly, upbeat, qualified, quick employees overall in Vegas. There are many great employees at pretty much every casino in Vegas, but I have yet to have even one employee at the Hard Rock rub me the wrong way in the slightest. Great music, relaxed atmosphere, great employees the Hard Rock has everything you need for a great trip to Vegas.

Room Tip: Try to get into the HRH tower. Nicest and newest rooms and close to the valet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (8,940)

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Stayed one night while in Las Vegas for a convention. The hotel is looking a bit tired and past it's prime. Even the casino is looking sad.

The front desk person was very pleasant. Knowing the property was getting a bit old, I asked for a newer or renovated room if possible. I also asked to not to be near the elevator. After a lengthy process, I was told is was given a "very nice" upgraded room. It was on the top floor (the 11th).

When I got to the room, which was in the original hotel area above the casino, the room was right next to the elevator ( so much for that simple request) and the room, while very large, was definitely tired. Worse, there was a quite audible and continuous noise in the room. I thought it was coming from outside. It turned out it was a noise from one of the elevators. Much too loud to ignore. So I called and asked for a room change.

They did comply and moved me down one floor and away from the elevator. No noise plus the bathroom has obviously been updated ( although still a bit tired looking). . So I felt very deceived by the front desk person as the first room had not been touched, it was old, it was noisy and it was exactly where I asked not to be. His claim that he was being nice and "taking care of me" was a complete lie.

I doubt i will be back if I can avoid it.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank In2exploring
Hard Rock M, Front Office Manager at Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Las Vegas, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas. Please accept our sincerest apology for the room condition. I have investigated which agent received you at check in and reviewed with them the layout of the various rooms on the floors as well as comminucated your notes to our housekeeping and engineering staff regarding the room decor and renovation. The feedback provided will help us address the areas of opportunity that may need attention in an effort to prevent any future concerns.

At Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas, we take pride in extending a positive guest experience and level of service. If you have any further feedback, please feel free to contact us at contactus@hrhvegas.com.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Where to start? If you look at my other reviews, I think most people would agree that I am not overly harsh. I have tried with this review, to put things in the context of Las Vegas as a whole, and not compare this hotel to hotels in other cities. I must also state that we were there with our children, ages 8-14, and had two rooms next to one another, but not connecting.

Overall: If you are over 21, and want a party hotel, and are willing to spend a lot of money, the Hard Rock is for you. If you are under 21, or traveling with anyone under 21, be prepared to have your fun be limited. Be prepared for drunks in the hall, noisy evenings, and hung over guests in the morning. The aroma of alcohol and vomit is not uncommon, and walking through the halls reminded me more of a college dorm than a hotel.

Theft?: Two of my daughters brought their Kindle Fires with them so they could watch movies on the plane. While we were at the hotel, I locked them in the safe, but there was one point where my daughters had them out, charging them. When I didn't see them when I was packing, I assumed that my daughters had put them in their bags. By the time we discovered that they were missing, we were at the airport for our red eye flight home. I called hotel security and reported them missing, but I might as have called the moon. At some point they were taken from the room, and have haven’t been seen since.

Rooms: We stayed in the Casino Tower, which is the oldest of the three hotel towers at the HRH. Our rooms were “mountain view” which sounds nicer than “street and parking lot view”. We were on the second floor, and with the exception of a few sirens, the noise was minimal, even with our proximity to the airport. None of our windows opened, but we could see from the pool that you can open the large French doors on the “pool view” rooms. The rooms were huge. Both rooms had two queen beds that were very comfortable. Each room had a large flat screen TV, but the channel selection was a little disappointing. I have stayed in hotels in Europe with a better selection of English language channels. The bathrooms were spacious, with large, deep tub/showers and rainfall showerheads. Each room had two closets, but none of them had enough hangers for even a single person traveling alone.

Pools- Age Restrictions: Before leaving for Las Vegas, I called to make sure that the pools would be accessible on weekends, because the HRH hosts the massive Rehab pool party on Sundays. I was told that Paradise Beach would be age restricted, but that the other pools would be open. When we arrived on Wednesday night, I asked at the front desk and the person there drew a line on a pool map showing that the Paradise Beach pools would be age restricted, and that those restrictions were in effect from Friday to Monday, not just on Sundays during Rehab. On Thursday, the kids went in the Paradise Beach pools a little, and attempted to use the water slide, only to find that it was closed. They mostly stayed in the Nirvanna Pool. On Friday, we discovered that not only Paradise Beach was age restricted, but everything outside of the Nirvanna pool was 21 and up. This was in effect for the whole weekend. If you are going to the HRH with anyone under 21, spend more time at Paradise Beach Tuesday through Thursday. There is another problem that goes along with these restrictions. The weekend pool parties are open to the public for a fee, and permit the use of all the pools. As a result, there was a steady flow of drunk 20-somethings over the hill from Paradise Beach to Nirvanna, bringing their Rehab cups, smoking, and f-bombs with them. If all of the other pools are going to be restricted to 21 and over, one of the pools needs to be restricted to hotel guests only.

Pools- Hours: The pool hours for Nirvanna are posted as 9 am to Close. The other pools say 10 to Close or 11 to Close. Close is never defined in writing. I asked at the front desk what close meant and was told that the pools closed at dark. Since we were traveling in late June, dark in Las Vegas is around 8:30 pm. One of the days we were there, we decided to go to The Strip for lunch and then go back and hang out in the pool from 6 pm to close. Imagine our surprise when close turned out to be 7:15 pm and not sunset. Why is it necessary to make the pool hours a secret? Post them so that your paying guests can make an informed decision about how to spend their day.

Pools- Furniture: Many of the chairs at the Nirvanna pool are torn or damaged, while the chairs at the Paradise Beach pools were in good condition. There is also very little seating at the Nirvanna pool that is in the shade. I’m sure this is intentional, in order to sell more drinks and to get you to pay $250 a day for a cabana.

Dining: There are several decent restaurants at the hotel, all of which are overpriced. We had breakfast at the Pink Taco, and while good, could have been found at a nearby diner for half the price. There is a steak special at Mr. Lucky’s that is pretty good, but not as good as the one at Ellis Island for the same price. The coffee shop down the hall from the Pink Taco is priced competitively with Starbucks, and the coffee is very good. There is also a convenience store, but if you need a soda or bag of chips, take 10 minutes and walk to the CVS across the street. There is a pizza place next to CVS, and Terrible’s Casino is just down Paradise, with a really cheap breakfast buffet that is not bad.

Location: We learned very quickly that everything in Las Vegas looks closer than it actually is. The HRH is only two blocks from The Strip, but those blocks are almost ½ mile long. When it’s 108 degrees outside, and there is no shade, that is an unbearable walk. As a result, if you don’t have a car, you are either taking the hotel shuttle to the Fashion Show Mall, or a taxi at $10 a ride with tip. We took the hotel shuttle a lot, but it only runs on the hour, from 10 am to 5 pm. When it was really hot, we wanted to go to The Strip either early in the morning, or in the evening, and that required taxis or walking.

Resort Fee: I hate resort fees. I think that they are more offensive than airline a-la-carte fees. The HRH’s resort fee covered fitness center use, local phone calls, Internet access for one device per room, the shuttle to The Strip, printing of boarding passes, and I think some discount wrist bands for things that we would never use with kids. At $20 a day, they are excessive and annoying.

Shuttle: I have already lodged my gripe about the shuttle hours. The other issue with the shuttle is that it goes to the Fashion Show Mall, which is near the Wynn and Treasure Island. If you want to go to the Bellagio, the Luxor or Mandalay bay, it’s a really long walk or a bus or taxi ride.

Summary: Would I go back? NO. There are plenty of other places to stay in Las Vegas that are in a better location, at roughly the same price point. Even without the kids, the location is a hassle, and the crowd in the pools is annoying when I am on vacation to relax. I would, however, consider another Hard Rock property.

Room Tip: Hotel Tower rooms are huge. Ask for the pool side if you want to be able to open the windows.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank sevenseat
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We stayed here for New Years 2013 for 2 nights and in my mind it is the only hotel in Las Vegas. The beds are the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in and the black out curtains are a real plus ;-). The layout of the hotel is such that you do not even have to leave it if you don't want to with multiple restaurants and bars. The music memorabilia is incredible and I love to just walk around the lobby looking at the items on display. The people that stay there are laid back and fun and it is not a typical tourist destination as it is off the strip. The service is always top notch from the bellhop to the front desk to all of the restaurants there. Although the rates are very high for New Year's in Vegas, throughout the year I get notified of special rates and rates below $80/night are common. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We usually stay in the Casino Tower and do not usually care about the view, so what they call the &q...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ColoradoSean
Hard Rock M, Front Office Manager at Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Las Vegas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Thank you for the positive feedback during your recent trip to the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas. We are pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in extending a positive guest experience and level of service. It is great to hear of your fun times during New Years and enjoyment of the memorabilia displays.
We are committed to providing the highest level of service to create lasting relationships with our guests. It is our genuine hope that you provide us with an opportunity to surpass expectations on a future visit. If you have any further feedback, please feel free to contact us at contactus@hrhvegas.com

Reviewed 9 January 2013

I liked the layout and decor of this hotel, and the rooms were great. I stayed in the casino tower and we had some great vegas views. I came for a quick trip with my best friend and this hotel didn't disappoint... We did go to Rehab a few times, and on a sunday for the big party, it was fun. Next time I might stay somewhere that has more pools, so it's not quite as packed on sunday...

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank blondie277
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I've stayed here 3 more times since my last reivew in June 2011 (September 2011, March 2012 and this past New Year's Eve) and the most recent stay has topped them all! Recent renovations and casino floor expansion have improved upon what was already a great place. New places that have opened within the new spaces are wonderful additions. Culinary Dropout, a new Gastropub, recently opened and so far so good! Try the Pretzel Bites with mozzarella fondue (complete with a small candle under the mini-cauldron to keep the cheese warm and gooey) then wash it down with a Batch 19 Pre Prohibition lager. Next there's Vinyl, a new intimate music venue, which is a comfortable place to watch local bands play. Some nights are free, others there's a fee so make sure you check it out first before heading in. Last but not least there's The Ainsworth, an "upscale" type sports lounge. The place has these large comfy couches to lounge on while watching a game with attentive bartenders and servers.

The staff overall is as friendly as ever and the daily housekeeping is top notch. From now on, anytime I go to Las Vegas, my first choice is the Hard Rock in which to stay and play.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank stick007
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I go to Vegas at least 3-4 times per year. While I have stayed at many fine resorts such as the Venetian, the Aria, the Palms, Red Rock, etc., I find myself returning to the Hard Rock again and again. The rooms range from good (casino tower) to great (HRH), but what really makes the difference for me are the people who work there! The Hard Rock dealers are hands-down my favorite in town. They haven't forgotten that gaming is supposed to be FUN! I've even been surprised to find that some of the dealers remember me by name, and details of conversations from a previous visit, which is hard to believe given the number of Vegas visitors. There may be more romantic places, bigger places, or more upscale places (though the HRH rooms are pretty awesome), and hey, I love the water show at the Bellagio or the shoppes at the Palazzo, or all of the high end restaurants at the Venetian or Aria. But at the end of the day, I just love the feel of staying at the Hard Rock.

Room Tip: HRH rooms are the newest. I'm pretty sure that the Paradise Tower's rooms are newer than th...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo