“Not so impressed this time”

Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
Ranked #122 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
“Not so impressed this time”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This was the second time my boyfriend and I stayed at the Flamingo Hotel & Casino. The first time was in July 2009, we liked it so much we decided to come back in June 2011.

What we liked best:
We upgraded to the GO! room for an extra $30/night to get the upgraded room with a fridge, the room itself was spacious and clean with awesome views of the strip.
The pool is quite clean, though is too busy, but it has a great pool that gets lots of morning sun.
The location on the strip can't be beat, you are centrally located to head to the Fashion Show Mall or to the MGM end of the strip.
The breakfast buffet is fine the food is good but not worth the money, for an extra $2 go to planet hollywood where they have more variety and present things much nicer.

What we liked least:
Our biggest issue this time was that our room didn't just have an awesome view of the strip, you also heard the sounds from the strip. Our room was on the 21st floor and all night we could hear the bass from Pure Nightclub at Caesar's Palace. It was AWFUL, the music at Pure plays until about 430AM. Do not get a room on the strip. I wish when i was told I had a strip view that this was mentioned to me, while seeing the strip is nice, getting sleep on your vacation outweighs the view.

The parking garage elevators are dirty and did not make me feel safe to use them.
The carpets in the hallway to our room (21st floor) were dirty and stained and you felt like you were staying in a low class hotel.

The service at the casino one night was awful, in an hour we didn't see a waitress once even playing at a full table and spending a fair amount of money.

The line to check-in was outrageous. Thankfully, one of the hotel staff pointed us in the direction of the kiosk to check yourself in, likely saved us an hour of time waiting to check in. That line was unacceptable if you were not able to check-in using the kiosk.
We will not be staying at the Flamingo again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaisyBlue77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7,898)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We chose a GO room with a view. Upon checking in, I requested a view of the Bellagio fountains. If the check in line is long you can also use a self check in kiosk. The view from the room was awesome! The rooms were very clean. The cleaning people were nice and did a good job. The elevators were efficient and we rarely had to wait long for an elevator to pick us up on the 23rd floor.
There are many dining options. We often started the day off with a light breakfast at the cafe. One night we had dinner at the buffet. I was a bit disappointed with the selection and the crab legs are smaller and not cracked anymore. The crab leg issue seems to common among other buffets we ate at and I attribut it to the sign of the times/economy.
We saw the Donnie and Marie show which was also good.
I would definitely recommend staying at the Flamingo. Great view, location and rates.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We came back from Vegas this weekend after attending a cousin's 50th wedding anniversary which was held at the Flamingo on the strip. I would've preferred some newer hotels but after reading some positive reviews on their new GO rooms, I thought I would give it a go. It was only for 4 nights after all.

We arrived at the hotel around 9pm, the line up to check in wasn't bad and it even has an express check in line which did not apply to those who booked through Westjet Vacations. We were given a choice of either a dog friendly room or a smoking room as the smoke free/pet free rooms were all booked. I was not at all pleased as we have asthma and allergy issues but we were given a choice of staying the night and switch room the next morning. We didn't find it necessary after viewing and "sniffing" the room.

Finding the elevators was the fun part, directions were given in a blur so we wandered past them, like another couple before us, but we managed to find it without going too far out of the way. The room was clean, new and with a touch of Vegas sleaze, PERFECT! The only complaint we have is the price of the Internet service at $13.99 US per 24 hours. It's outrageously high given that it's the fastest growing mean of communication but Vegas isn't about business is it?!

The bed was comfortable enough, four pillows of various thickness on a king bed. Floor to ceiling windows was a nice feature with the odd sirens traveling up and down the strip.

Decent breakfast restaurant but after two mornings of $35 and $40 breakfasts, we decided to try the fast food place outside the elevators where they had good berries and yogurt and put enough bacon in their breakfast sandwiches to give you a heart attack. Breakfast for two there cost $25.

All and all, I was surprised at how nice the newly renovated room was in the strip's first hotel! BTW, I never saw a single dog on the dog friendly floor except in the elevator so maybe it was more people friendly than dog friendly?

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank swanster
scottsdale
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I have stayed here numerous times-not because it is the greatest place on Earth-it is just average at best-it is the price. For a central location on the Strip, you cannot beat this place for the rates they charge. I will be back for the value, not eh luxury.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Our 3 day stay at Flamingo left us wanting better service.

It seemed like the reception was not aware that our room was to accomadate my wife and me as well as my 2 kids, though they had been informed of that while the booking was done.

They took their sweet time checking with the back office and even then reluctantly agreed that the booking had been previously made as such.

The rooms were just a little shabby around the edges, the room had these huge strobelights outside, no view and was overlooking the neighbouring hotel room.

It just felt old. Having said that the beds were comfy.

There was another small fracas with the coffee shop serving breakfast ... all in all not a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2011

This was my second stay here and it was fine, but if you want nice up-to-date rooms, then you probably don't want to stay here. I went with a group of mates, there were 8 of us, so we were there to have a party and not really wanting a flash hotel, flamingo was perfect for this and cheap.
I have to say the beds were very comfy and clean, tv had all the channels you wanted, lots of films to watch for when sobering up from the night before!
The pool is excellent too for a group of mates to chill by during the day, it does get busy, but we always managed to find somewhere.
Food was fine, there is a fast food area (burgers, pizza, chinese, hot dogs), I tried some of this food and it was fine. We had breakfast twice in the restaurant and it was good.
If I were to return to vegas with my mates, I would stay here again and my overall rating is based on this. If I were to take my girlfriend, I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chicken_or_beef
Winnipeg
Reviewed 11 June 2011

We really love The Flamingo...It is central to everything and provides you all you need in a room. Besides, yoo only sleep in the room anyway!

We loved the Buffet Pass...try it out...24 hours and your choice of 7 buffets for $45.

The Flamingo is an older hotel, but the pool and the casino are still great!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple