“Fine, But Steering People Away...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
Ranked #113 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Fine, But Steering People Away...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was here for 4 nights in July, as it was the cheapest place on the strip that week. The room was suitable, though I am steering people towards other properties for a few reasons. First off, the lobby almost always looked like a refugee camp. Not sure if they had several tour groups in that week or something, but it was really busy; people sitting on the floor, luggage everywhere, etc. The check-in line was about 30 minutes long. I tried to get a strip view or upgrade, but nothing was available without paying extra (guess the front desk agent didn't want the tip that I was clearly going to give her). The King room was fine though smelled musty or smokey, even though it was a NS room. The bed was not as comfortable as the bed I had last time. This one was in the back with a view was of the Cromwell and Bally's, and just wasn't as nice as the strip view room I had the first time. Overall, room was OK and clean. Housekeeping was in early each day and seemed very friendly/efficient. AC worked great. Bathroom was nice.

The elevators are verrrrry slow and malfunctioning. They are almost always full because of the long wait to get one, and they tend to be "bouncy" when they stop at the floor. Once we were taken all the way to the top floor as the elevator didn't stop at any of the floors we pushed. I knew this from my last stay, but it seemed a bit worse/more irritating.

I checked out at 10AM to avoid a long line at the bell stand as I had to check my bag since my flight didn't leave til evening. I went to the "Baggage Check" line that was clearly marked, and already very long, staffed by ONE person. When I was about 4 people away from the front, the guy came over and very rudely yelled out that there was a luggage check-in downstairs and outside with no waiting, as if we should have known that and were idiots for standing in this line. The lady in front of me said to her husband that it would have been nice to know that 20 mins ago. Perhaps the bell stand could use more help during check-in/out times, and perhaps they should put more signage to alert people to the downstairs option.

My biggest complaint was the pool. It is gorgeous and very nice, but there are NO CHAIRS. I went down at either 9 or 10 each day, and there were no available chairs. Not sure how early you had to get there to secure one. I had to lay my towel on the pavement alongside the pool with the other "late"-arrivals. I have never had a problem getting chairs at any other hotel pool where I've stayed. Drink service was awful/non-existent. This was true at both pools. If you're looking for a relaxing day at the pool, it won't be here. Swimming in the pool was very nice though, and they have lockers available for $1.25 in quarters. They had $5 blackjack and craps by the pool which was nice, though there was no drink service in the 40 mins I was there, and the dealers were not very friendly (in fact one was downright bitter and full of attitude, which prompted me to leave after she dealt about 4 or 5 rounds-Christa maybe?).

I could have stayed at MGM, Aria, or TI for about $110-$170 more, and I was kicking myself a bit for not going to one of them. I wanted to be a little more cost-conscious and more centrally located so I went with the Flamingo. The room was fine, but the other hassles just didn't make this a very enjoyable stay. If you end up here for cost or because you were booked here on a hotel site, you'll be fine. But if you can choose, I'd spend a bit extra for a better property and overall experience. The Linq is right there out of the north entrance, and there is a Starbucks there that doesn't get busy until about 9am if you want a quick coffee!

Room Tip: Spring for the Strip view rooms for $10 more/night-nicer bed, room, and view will be worth it, esp i...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank TravelGuy72
TotalService, Specialist Matt at Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thanks for the review on your latest visit! While we are glad you enjoyed yourself in general, we regret that you were disappointed in our pool area and elevator service. We strive to give our guests fun, memorable experiences, so it is always disappointing when we fall short. We are pleased however that you liked your bathroom and swimming in the pool. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6,867)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I love the Flamingo!! Hubby & I do thorough research before staying anywhere & despite the horrid reviews we read we decided to take a gamble (& I'm somewhat picky when it comes to hotel stays). What a treasure we found! We were with another couple. Took a taxi from airport, $20 bucks & got there in no time! The aroma to cover the smoke was most pleasant out of the other hotels we walked through. Not smoky at all. I became a Total Rewards member beforehand to get a great rate & eliminate any slow-down, so when we arrived at 2:30 PM I received my card & we were able to walk right up @ check-in. The attendant was polite & had us on our way in minutes. We were in a FAB Deluxe king room w/habitat, pool, AND unexpected high roller view. NICE! The elevators near front desk are what we used & they were well-decorated & worked fine. The hallway carpeting was nowhere near what we heard about. It looked great & did not smell at all. The room was almost perfect, just minor detailed cleaning was missed, but who cares? The faux wood floors felt fine. Walls were thin but no bother, you're hardly inside. We were offered housekeeping everyday, tipped our maid & received extra amenities, even some water glasses to go w/our ice bucket that weren't there upon arrival. Bathroom was small & found a hair here & there but it got the job done, both tub & shower. Water was VERY hot. Floor-to-ceilings windows were not so see-through because of the pink tint on outside. TV worked fine, had plenty of stations. In-room safe was a bonus, only wish we had a coffee maker, fridge, & microwave for the hangovers & leftovers to munch on late-night. We also slept like babies every night, no noise, comfy bed.
We ate at Margaritaville during happy hour, everything good but service "meh". Casino not the greatest w/minimums & payouts, but fun to play in just for the experience. The GO pool was AWESOME! We didn't arrive early the 1st day but found a nice spot & later got chairs we never used because we stayed in the pool. We did the early arrival for the pool the next day (Saturday) & there was a line but had no problem w/chair selection. The power went out! We waited for over an hour to swim/buy drinks & heard elevators were down/no water in a certain section of hotel. Would've like some kind of comp. We had a blast after it got going again. Ages ranged from 21-70 & the oldest ones provided the most fun for us thirty-something's! Cabanas way too pricey.
I loved the look of the hotel. Each side on outside had it's own distinct look. The remodeling was impressive. The location was PERFECT! We had no trouble getting around, going both ways on the strip. Walgreens nearby & some of the best hotels within minutes of walking--couldn't get any better! Easy taxi curbside service. Time-sharers in lobby varied in pushiness, but a simple "no thank you" worked, they're just doing their job. The habitat w/the exotic animals another bonus, a great mood-enhancer.
We did express check-out, so we never waited coming or leaving. Overall we loved our stay! I would recommend this hotel for the price & location. I believe being a TR member made the difference & it was worth it. Staff was great, ambiance spectacular, & we were kept happy!! We will definitely be back at the Flamingo! Thank you to all staff for such a great time!

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Rdaley10
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent experience! We are pleased you enjoyed your overall stay with us. We are delighted you liked your speedy check-in, great room rates, the GO Pool, the exotic animal habitat, and our central Strip location. We hope you will consider staying with us again sometime very soon!
Katy, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We have stayed here in the past and came back because we like the pool area, however the room did not warrant the $179 price + a $40 resort fee.The interior of this hotel is in dire need of update. I've stayed in much nicer budget motels, for $69 night with no resort fee.

The condition of the interior of the Habitat elevators are sub standard, graffiti marks, accessories missing, indicator lights not working. The hallway carpeting on the 26th had excessive rolls and stains. The carpet became an issue because we had to evacuate when an alarm was went off. We had no hallway lighting and I tripped when walking down the hallway, to be honest the carpet is a safety condition. The exit procedure had us go through the employee break room and resort employees were not available to direct guest, we had to figure it out on our own.

The room we had was on the side of the LINQ, and you could hear the outside music. The bathroom had a vinyl curtain and did not have the kick-out curtain rod. The water pressure was poor. The bath tub did not drain adequately, the toilet seat had cigarette burn marks. The bottom of the bathroom door was rotted out.

I would definitely not recommend this resort, it is not up to Las Vegas Standards.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank RedneckRunnr
We appreciate your comments. We read every review and heed the words of our guests. All feedback serves as a means of improving the services we offer. We aspire to provide a warm and relaxed experience for all of our guests, so it is always disappointing when we hear we have missed the mark. We regret the condition of the interior of our resort was not up to your standards and expectations, and that you feel you did not find good value for your money staying with us. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Lees Summit, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

First of all they do not save rooms! We called two months before we left to save adjoining rooms they said yes, got there and they told us they never have and never will do that. They did give us our 400 dollars back that we put down to save the room. They also said that they cant guarantee smoking or non?? Lets go the pool. They closed it an hour and a half before the hours said so. We thought something happened no problem. Next day the same thing. Grandkids came along for the slides some of them we closed and then closed early. Not happy campers! Elevators were rough and at one point completely stopped. Alarms would go off announcement to say not to worry went on and on and on . Five am wake up is not good. bright spot to the whole experience the beds were comfortable. But 187 average a night very expensive.TV on the last day worked???

Room Tip: view was nice
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Leslie B
We take every comment from our guests seriously, as your feedback allows us to improve our resort. We apologize for the inconvenience regarding your reservation, as well as the hours of operation for the pool area. Our chief goal is to provide our guests with a relaxed and comfortable experience, so it is always disheartening when we are informed otherwise. We truly hope you will keep us in consideration when you make your next visit, as we would take that opportunity to deliver the kind of product and service you expect and deserve.
Tustin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I just stayed here, I paid for a "remodeled" fab deluxe room and there was nothing fab about it. The bathroom wasn't remodeled, there was mildew in the tub and the shower was luke-warm at best. The carpet in the hallways was stained and rippled. The electricity was out for several hours and we had to walk down 24 flights of stairs to get out of the hotel with constant fire alarms ringing. There was room service trash sitting in the hallway for two days. At the pool we waited an hour and a half before they would let us in the pool (because of the power outage), and we couldn't get any service for food, despite asking someone several times for a food menu. We also gambled for several hours at the electronic craps table without any drink service. When we checked out, I requested to speak to a manager, who didn't even bother to come and apologize for the terrible experience, but instead just offered a credit of the resort fees, which doesn't even come close to comping the terrible experience we had. Next time we will spend more money to stay at a hotel that actually cares about their guests' experiences because it's clear that at the Flamingo the customer does not come first.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Ocsharkschick
Thank you for your comments. Feedback helps us to improve every aspect of the Flamingo experience. We apologize for the less than stellar condition of your room and the hotel, as well as poor beverage service.. Our goal is to provide our guests with a fun, memorable experience, so it is always disappointing when we hear otherwise. We hope you will consider staying with us again.
Fair Lawn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed at the Flamingo for two nights at the end of July. I've been there before to gamble but had never stayed in one of the rooms before. I was pleasantly surprised by the room I had. It was one of the renovated "Go" rooms and had a nice bvierw of the strip. Really enjoyed the ambient lighting and the TVs both in the room and in the bathroom

Room Tip: Do a Go Room. Worth the extra bit on the nightly rate.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with Caesars Entertainment

1 Thank Ed K
TotalService, Specialist Eleanor at Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thanks for your review. We are delighted that you were pleasantly surprised by our Go rooms and we hope to see you again soon!
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was a quick trip down to Vegas (Sunday - Tuesday) with some friends and we wanted a decent, but inexpensive place to stay. The Flamingo fit the bill. The pool is one of the better ones in Vegas and we were not disappointed this time around. That being said, most people spend more time at the pool, casino's, bars whatever you are actually in vegas for so the room was the least of our concerns. That was just a place to sleep. Yes the Flamingo is showing it's age and has some wear and tear. But my room was recently updated (minus the tub/toilet) and was clean. My friends rooms were in equally good condition.

Check in is awful, everyone is getting there at the same time. If you are unfortunate and get caught in the giant line up, go check out the total rewards counter, sign up for it and go get in the check in line up for members.

Vegas baby, Vegas.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank bad_oliver
Thanks for your review and great tip about signing up for our Total Rewards club. We hope to see you again soon!