“Great Stay--though it depends on whether you get a remodeled room or not”

Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
Ranked #122 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Stay--though it depends on whether you get a remodeled room or not”
Reviewed 21 September 2009

OK I've read a lot of reviews about the Flamingo and it seems 1) there are an awful lot of people who expect the Bellagio for Flamingo prices, and 2) haven't seemed to pick up from the other reviews that this hotel is in the middle of a (very nice) renovation. I have attached pictures to show.

Renovation work is not obvious....I think they have certain floors just closed off, as I was on the 17th floor and most of 8-15 never seemed to have a reason to stop at. You can see pictures online of their "Classic" rooms, which are older and very basic. The new GO rooms, which I stayed in, are fantastic...great beds, bathroom (with a huge tub, the person who said they didn't have tubs either got a handicapped room, or wasn't quite all there). The large flat-screen TV is hooked into a denon stereo, which I hooked up my IPod to. The drapes are controlled electronically by switches between the beds....how nice to dim the room in the morning if you forgot to the night before! Electrical outlets were everywhere, and ambient low level lighting is an option.

Someone also mentioned the hallways not being up to par. Well, on the 17th floor, they are very nicely remodeled to match the rooms too. I have also attached a picture of the hallway outside to show you.

As to the services, the restaurants are good, though dated in decor....I'm sure they'll get to those soon. The pool was great but busy, though I didn't mind that at all. The elevators are brand new also....super fast up and never had to wait, so perhaps the review that mentioned that was before that upgrade.

If you're considering staying at the Flamingo, get a GO room to avoid any issues. As to the rest, my guess is that you'll see even more changes by the time you arrive. Cut them a bit of slack, they are doing a great job updating.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank cjdeperro
TotalServiceTeam, Customer Service at Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 24 September 2009
Hi cjdeperro! Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to the Flamingo! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. You are right, we are continually working on updating the property. We hope to see you again soon! Harrah’s Total Service Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7,916)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Louisville, KY
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Travelled with friends and got comped in a GO room with a great view of the strip from the 29th floor. Room service was FAST and friendly. Shower was hot and great pressure. Requested a coffee pot when I made my reservation and they brought me 2 of them and a large assortment of coffees and teas. Pool was very crowded and could not get a chair after several attempts. Hallways a little dingy. Did not eat on the property other than room service. Salon services were great and priced right. Carpet in room stained, but the rest of the room appeared clean other wise. Check in and out a breeze, friendly staff, extra towels delivered quickly, and maintainance to reset safe arrived within minutes. Perfect location on the strip, not a '5 star' experience, but could not have asked for a better value overall! Had a blast!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank peyton10
minnesota
Reviewed 17 September 2009

I travel frequently and stay in many hotels. This was an above average experience for all of us. We arrived on a Sunday and I was nervous after reading everyone's review. We rented a car and the free parking and ramp location was a plus. We arrived at 4:30 pm and had to wait for 25 minutes to check in but the nice check in guy made it worth the wait. We had stayed at the Flamingo 25 years ago and wanted to stay here for sentimental reasons (25th anniversary). I was nicely surprised. We had just a regular deluxe room (package deal with air) at a great value. Our room was on the 15th floor and overlooked the pool. We were right by the elevator so that was nice too. No noise issues. The room was clean and neat and quite large, nothing too fancy but very suitable for us. We had a king size bed, love seat, chair and coffee table along with a desk and chair. Our friends had 2 queens in their room so no love seat. We used our room for cocktail hour. The windows were large and afforded us a nice view of the pool area. The halls were kept clean and we never saw or smelled anything offensive the entire stay. As a matter of fact, one day we even saw the cleaning supervisor ? inspecting the premise. She called someone to come up and clean a piece of gum someone had dropped on the carpet in the hall and within an hour it was gone.
The pool grounds are very nice and plush. We went to the pool at different times daily and never had problems finding 4 chairs. The pool water was cool but it was hot 90+ out. The lifeguard states that they constantly pump fresh water into it so that is why it was so cool. It was refreshing to us. I did not like that we could not bring our own food or beverages to the pool area as these items were very expensive there. I did see some people with their own items but were were asked when we arrived into the pool area. You could avoid this by taking the back way by the tennis courts into the pool area I guess.
Had a great time at the Flamingo and we all agree that we would stay again without hesitation.

2 Thank djalk
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 17 September 2009

Let me start by saying that my wife and I go to Vegas once or more per year. We have stayed up and down the strip. It had been several yars since we had stayed at the Flamingo and decided to give it a try as they offered appealing prices and I love the cental location on the strip.

Check in went fairly well and they talked us into upgrading to one of their newly renovated GO-Rooms. We went up to our room to find the closet door being held together by medical tape and the very heavy glass sliding door leading to the bathroom of the track. We called down to the front desk and they did not seem very suprized or concerned. After about 20 minutes on the phone with 3 different staff people I was told that they would bring keys up for a different room.

A bellman brought up the new keys and we were escorted to a room next door. The room was O.K. but I could see the same problems with the closet and the sliding glass door eventually hapening here. The redesigned rooms are poorly done and probably not worth the additional dollars per night although the mattress is very comfortable!!!

We were there for 6 nights and during our stay we had room service carts in the hallway for 48 hours or more at a time. Hallway and elevator floors were dirty and not cleaned regularly.

The pool was awesome and unlike the rest of the property, well maintained!!! We enjoyed both the regular pool as well as the adult Go-Pool. The pool is one of the nicest in Vegas and has a tropical resort feel.

I know times are tough in Vegas and all the hotels/casinos have cut staff and budgets but the Flamingo is really showing extreme signs of neglect in both the hotel rooms as well as the common areas.

Right now I would probably not recommend this hotel unless they are looking to spend most of their day at the pool.

1 Thank msteig

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Okla
Reviewed 17 September 2009

We have stayed here many times. I have only been disappointed one other time and that was when the Flamingo was purchased by Harrahs and they were going through some changes. The staff was not very nice that year - check in staff, waiters and waitresses in the restaurants, cleaning folks and the cocktail waitresses. I am glad I gave them a few more tries as after the initial bumps of changing owners things seemed to iron out.

Our stay this time was not horrible, but it was not the vacation type experience I was hoping we would get. We are comped at several Harrah's properties. We chose to stay at the Flamingo again because we had a good time here the last two years. This year while booking I was offered an upgrade to a Go Room (we have stayed in these before) for a charge. We thought about it and took it because the Go Room we had about two years ago was nice. When we arrived at the hotel on Wednesday the 9th it was in the early evening. There was not much of a line and there were 3 clerks working. When I got up to the head of the line (actually ended up being the last one in line at that time). one of the clerks took a break and I had to wait for one of the other two. One of the people in front of me had a quick transaction with one of the clerks and I could tell that I wasn't going to enjoy the clerk's attitude. I was hoping the other one would finish first because she seemed very nice. That didn't happen and I ended up with the guy with the attitude. Right off the bat he told me they did not have my room choice - king non-smoking. They still had Go Rooms but I would have to take a handicap/non-smoking king, a double/non-smoking or a king smoking. I called my husband over which seemed to annoy the clerk. I have no idea why as no one was waiting. I explained to my husband who told me he did not want double beds. I asked the clerk how smokey did the smoking rooms smell - did they use an freshner after each quest? He rather rudely laughed and said it depends on the last guest. Well I understand that, but he could have said virtually the same thing with a different attitude and it would have been fine. I said we would take the smoking king - his description of the handicap bathroom was not appealing. As soon as I said this he tapped on his keyboard and said "oh sorry we don't have any". He said it in such a way you could tell he was not one bit sorry he was actually happy he was upsetting me. I really dont' get this either because I was keeping my cool and being polite to him. My husband later said that he could tell that this guy is the type of person who likes to ruin people's days because he hates his job and this is the only way he can get his jollies for the day. I told him we would take the handicap room and asked that if we were not pleased with it was there anyway I could check in the morning to see if a king non-smoking had opened up. He said I could try but good-luck as they were booked up and it probably was not going to happen.

The hallway to room 20083 was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in any hotel I have stayed in Vegas. Even the extremely low budget ones downtown. It was unbelievably stained and dirty. It looked as though they never attempted to clean it. I was very worried about what I was going to find behind our door. We opened the door and found that the room was at least clean. The carpet in the room looked nothing like the hall - thank goodness. The bathroom was a complete shock. While I was told the handicap shower did not have any walls since it was handicap accesible, I thought the shower might be a little more offset than it was. No. It wasn't set deeper into the bathroom so when you took a shower the WHOLE bathroom floor was soaked. I thought it was silly there was two drains in the bathroom floor. One right under the shower and one in the middle. I was like surely it doesn't get that wet. Um yeah it does. The drains were so dirty they barely drained at all. There was mold at the bottom of the shower. The next morning when my husband took a shower the whole floor was soaked. I opened the bathroom door and he yelled at me to be very careful because it was slippery. This is very dangerous as when you leave the bathroom you have to walk out into the front area of the room that has that slick marble floor. This is an accident waiting to happen. They only give you one small bath mat and three towels. While they are plush towels you need about 6 towels when you stay in this room to mop up the water. I tipped the maid a larger amount and asked her if we could have extra towels during this stay. She was very polite and left us several extra each day (we ran into her when we were coming back up one day - she was very nice). I feel sorry for any handicap person staying in this room by themselves. I would think they have to put up with that full floor being soaked the whole time. I have stayed in many hotels on my daughters soccer tournaments and have stayed in the handicap rooms due to overbooking by the hotels. I have never seen such a poor set up. The sink even seemed like it was set to high for handicap accesible. The last thing that was wrong with the room was the hair dryer was broken. It still worked but it was one that you had to pull into a certain position for it to lock to stay open. That did not work so I had to hold it upside down to dry my hair. That was not too big of a deal.

Here is my main gripe about not getting the room I requested....I really feel the hotel was holding their king/ non-smoking rooms for those people arriving on Thursday- Sunday trips. We were there Wed-Sat. Saturday is an odd checkout day for Vegas. We went back up to our room on Thursday morning with a young couple who didn't know where their room was. I overheard their room number and told them they were about 3 rooms down from us. They had a king/non-smoking. They were checking in at 9:30 in the morning. I doubt very seriously anyone had checked out of that room that morning and the hotel had time to clean it. This is just my opinion.

This hotel is a high traffic hotel - always has been, but is even more so now that Harrah's caters to the low rollers like myself. I think we will either try Bally's or Paris next time we want to stay at a Harrah's property. I am actually beginning to prefer the attitudes of the staff off strip and downtown more now. They seem to be genuinely happy you are there.

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2009

Stayed in Vegas for my 3rd time and each time a different hotel, Tried Imperial Palace--avoid at all costs--dirty, South point--Beautiful, but way too far from the action, will take an hour to get to the strip everyday. So this time Tried the Flamingo, this was a surprise from what we were expecting. The cost of the room is under 100 for a King bed , the view was nothing at all ( top of the garage) but who cares I'm not in Vegas for the room. The room was clean, the hotel itself was clean, lots in the hotel, bird habitat on the premises, great pools, and best of all, center of the strip. If you want a better room, with a view, take the "GO" rooms, they have loads more amenities, and a better view, all have been updated. But if a nice clean place to rest your head, at a great cost in comparison to other centrally located hotels, this is the place to stay.

1 Thank halfacoach
JAX
Reviewed 17 September 2009

Lets start by saying the Flamingo Hotel & Casino is right in the center of the strip. It is the best location in Vegas to travel to and from other casinos and hotels. Depending on what you are paying per night (any more than $199 per night on FR/SAT/SUN would be too much, if the price is more you may as well stay at the Bellagio. The rooms were okay. You could tell the Hotel was old as far as the rooms and hallways went, even though they claim to have fixed up the "new" GO ROOMS. The public spaces were very nice, the Casino and Lobby, etc. Slots were money eaters, but playing the tables were fun. Lets see, ummm if you eat go to Bills between 12-6am for the $5.99 steak and eggs, it's really close. Skip Serendipity's, it's not that great and the prices suck. Subway, Burger King and McD's are all close. Also, do not eat at the burger joint in the Flamingo, service sucked and food was bland. You must go to the pool for at least a few hours and catch some rays... they have a nice pool area.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family