“Would Return”

Ranked #71 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Staffs
“Would Return”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed 5 nights here in September 2013. Had to wait 45 mins whilst checking in as they could not find our booking, whilst I don't think it was the hotels fault they offered us a room upgrade for the inconvenience which was appreciated. The hotel is great, not luxurious however younger and more modern than some of its comparable hotels on the strip, which we preferred. I couldn't fault our stay here and after coming from NYC and San Diego it was the most affordable hotel which was great as there is also so much to do! Would recommend the MGM grand.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Philnut_10
MGMGuestExperience, Manager at MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Philnut_10:

Thank you for your patience as we worked to resolve the room reservation complications you encountered. We understand difficulties can occur, so we strive to provide consistently exceptional customer service no matter what challenges might arise. We are glad you found your visit pleasant and your accommodations well-appointed. We appreciate your business and your feedback, and look forward to serving you again soon.

MGM Grand – Las Vegas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver,
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and I booked this hotel for four days in mid February, 2014. I chose it over many others because of its swimming pools, as I had had recent hip surgery and looked forward to relaxing with a good book while my wife enjoyed the sights and sounds of Las Vegas. It never occurred to me to ask if they were actually open. You can imagine my disappointment to find all the pools locked up. There was one offered in the MGM Signature but it was almost 3/4 of a mile from our room and when you eventually got there it was small, only 4 feet deep and was very crowded. As one would expect when it had to service the aquatic needs for probably 5-6000 rooms (between the two hotels).
My recommendation is simple............ in spite of all the advertising about how wonderful their aquatic centre is, ask whether it is actually open.

The only other suggestion for improvement I could mention: a basic coffeemaker in the room would sure be an asset. Even the lowliest of hotels and motels have one.

Otherwise our stay at the hotel was just fine..... good location, good accommodation

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Silversummer
MGMGuestExperience, Manager at MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Silversummer:

We apologize for any communication shortfalls regarding the seasonal closing of our Grand Pool complex. Your complete satisfaction is our goal, so we certainly understand and regret your frustration. Thank you for expressing these concerns. We also appreciate your suggestions about the provided in-room amenities. Our Grand Pool complex, as well as our Ultrapool Wet Republic, will be opening shortly. We hope for the chance to provide you with a more satisfying experience on your next visit to MGM Grand.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in the MGM Grand in October. Our room was a good size, clean and had all basic amenities. We love the location, although the MGM is at one end of the main strip there is a monorail station in the hotel which can take you down the other end if you don't fancy walking.

There is plenty going on in the hotel and although it may not be as flash as some of the other hotels it served its purpose for us and was reasonably priced. As there is so much to do and see we spent limited time in our room however when we did we had no complaints and would stay there again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Spy27:

Thank you for sharing your very positive sentiments. There is so much worth enjoying here at MGM Grand, with exceptional entertainment, exciting attractions, and the finest service around. Our plush accommodations also make for a truly relaxing in-room experience. For those guests who seek to explore the Strip, our convenient location and on-property monorail access makes visiting the surrounding Las Vegas area easy. We thank you for providing such insightful commentary, and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I have stayed at several hotels in Las Vegas including the new Aria, but selected to stay at the MGM Grand just because I wanted to stay somewhere different. My husband and I are in our early 40s, have been to Vegas multiple times and were going to meet my father and stepmother there for a brief vacation.
Check in went really well. Granted, it was an early Monday morning, so that probably isn't the busiest time for them. We tried the $20 trick asking for complimentary suites. We were told we would have to pay to upgrade to a suite, so we declined that. However, the front desk clerk did move us into the main tower when I mentioned my stepmother might have trouble walking the length of the hotel. The room did have 2 double queen beds, which we didn't need, but I felt like this was an upgrade of sorts to be in the main tower and that she was trying to be accommodating. She returned our $20 tip and still tried to get us the best accommodations to meet our needs. We had to wait just a bit to check in--but, it was early, like 10 am. They just called us when the room was ready around lunch time.
Our room was on the 26th floor. The room itself was spacious, it was clean, we had a wonderful view of the strip, right in front of New York, New York. We could also see City Center and the Monte Carlo. The windows seemed to have some kind of film on them which was probably due to the sign on the building. It didn't really hinder the view at all, but it made taking a picture challenging. We never even closed our curtains at night because it just wasn't that bright coming into our room. The room was cleaned every day and housekeeping did a nice job. We were always greeted in the hall if someone from housekeeping saw you. You can tell this part of the hotel is being managed very well.
We spent some time at the pool. Only the one pool was open at the time we were there, but they were getting ready to open the rest of the pools very soon. The hot tub was the perfect temp. The water was warm enough to swim in comfortably. They brought around water bottles at the pool free of charge. I enjoyed the music they had playing at the pool, a mix of top 40 and at the perfect volume. Plenty of chairs, plenty of space to spread out. Again, just as at should be and we encountered no issues.
The casino is really vast. I like playing there. We visited several casino's to gamble and sometimes you just get a feel if it's a nice place to play or not.
We visited the show at the MGM, KA, because those tickets were included in the package that I booked through Southwest airlines. The theatre for that show is really amazing. Very nice. We were upgraded seats--probably just due to the fact that we were with my stepmom who wasn't walking very well. The show itself, I didn't enjoy that much. I've seen almost every Cirque show in Vegas and this just comes in probably dead last for me. The entire time I couldn't get my mind off the girl who died during this show and the scene that they changed at the end when it happened is now just a screen with a video. It's just a let down from what I heard it used to be. It was ok for free since we had the tickets anyway, but I would've been disappointed had I paid for it. We also saw Michael Jackson's One show and I thought it was very well done. I enjoyed it so much more than KA.
We rented a car during our stay and used the valet several times and they were always prompt and we had no issues. The self parking isn't even that far and we did that a few times as well with no problems.
We tried out Wolf Gang Puck's restaurant one night for dinner. The lasagna there was delicious and the pizza very good. Service was excellent, everyone enjoyed themselves. We also ate at Emeril's for dinner one evening. We had the steak and pork chops, again, very very good. We were pleased with our meal there as well.
I did the pamper package at the spa for my birthday and it was wonderful. It was a body scrub, back, neck and shoulder massage and facial. Everything about the spa was really great. It did take them awhile to answer the phone when I was booking my appointment, but that was really the only issue I had. The treatments were nice. I took as long as I wanted in the rest of the spa and it was relaxing and rejuvenating.
Overall, we had a nice stay at the MGM Grand and I can tell they are working hard to make this a great hotel. I would stay there again if I didn't like trying out other hotels in Vegas so much. I can certainly recommend staying there, they are doing a lot of things right.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank vegabay
Dear vegabay:

Happy Birthday! Thank you for spending your special day with us. When visitors come to MGM Grand, we strive to provide them with a complete resort destination experience that is deeply satisfying throughout all phases of their stay. We appreciate you taking the time to detail your impressions and share the fabulous time you had. Our goal is to offer consistently exceptional service, along with impressive amenities and unbeatable entertainment. Your insights regarding our dining, Grand Spa, and Grand Pool complex are all deeply encouraging.

When guests let us know how they felt engaged, inspired, and entertained by the MGM Grand experience, we are truly gratified. We hope you will consider us again the next time you visit Las Vegas.

Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We actually had a comped night here through myVegas rewards, so weren't expecting much but still had a room in the tower looking along the side of The Strip, so could still see Paris and the Stratosphere in the distance.

The room was a very good size, despite being called a 'Petite King' and the bathroom was also a decent size.

Bed was very comfy and room quiet.

Plenty of amenities inside the hotel, I believe it's one of, if not the, biggest hotel in the world, but navigating it was still very manageable.

Not the most central hotel on The Strip, but we enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear meryll83:

Our West Wing King rooms are a fabulous choice for those guests who want to enjoy the intimate feel of well-appointed accommodations with a unique layout and close proximity to the Las Vegas Strip. It is great to know how you enjoyed your visit and could take advantage of our popular MyVegas online game. There really is a lot to see and do when you visit MGM Grand, and we appreciate the chance to provide you with a truly memorable experience. We hope to see you again soon.

Florida
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Hotel was clean and far less smokey than I had remembered from past Las Vegas visits. That being said, it's HUGE. They could never get the internet to work on my iPad despite repeated attempts. Also, as part of my room rate I had $50 in food/beverage credits that they ensured me were there upon check-in but upon check out, they appeared nowhere on my statement. The rep at the desk gladly made the adjustment, but none the less, had to ask. Very professional and friendly front desk staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FrozenMargNoSalt
MGMGuestExperience, Manager at MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear FrozenMargNoSalt:

Thank you for sharing your insights. While it would seem your recent visit to MGM Grand was pleasant, we apologize that it was unable to exceed your expectations. We further regret the internet functionality complications and billing issues you encountered.

It is encouraging to know you found our efforts to mitigate second hand smoke proved largely successful in your opinion, and that our staff and service were professional and friendly. We hope for another chance to impress you in the future.

Opelika, Alabama
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We are quite elderly and I am very hard to please. I had many things on my list - must be quiet, must be near to elevators but not too close (noise), wanted soft beds, wanted high floor because of street noise, non smoking, and views if possible. We were late coming in from Atlanta on a Sunday night. Decided to try tip. Our front desk clerk was fabulous and handled all of my demands but suggested she had already looked at my needs and assured me I would love the room so I gave her the tip and am glad I did. The room (Queen deluxe in the Grand Tower) was wonderful. The beds were so comfortable - we slept well each night. The Casino was smokey and slots tootight so we gambled elsewhere. But 5 Stars for MGM.

Room Tip: Our Room was 409 on the 21st Floor - very quiet. Do not touch even the water on top of the refriger...