“Huge strip hotel but service needs improvement”

MGM Grand Hotel and Casino
Ranked #77 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Booked this hotel for the final days of our USA round-trip and chose a Tower Spa Suite to have some space to enjoy and relax. As this was our fifth time in Vegas we always like to try one of the theme hotels on the strip but we were not really impressed.

Checked in late in the afternoon and did not have to wait too long in line (at other times the lines at check in were that long that people had to wait over an hour). Got a room on the "Stay well"-floor and a suite facing east almost over Tropicana avenue looking out over the airport. While the suite was nice decorated and well cleaned by Renee and had some gimmicks such as an air refresher and other stuff. Unfortunately the room was really loud as you´d get all the traffic noises from both the airport and Tropicana avenue. So we went to ask to change rooms. And here the bad service began. We were told that we cound change but we told to check back in two hours and after two hours to check back again... We were six times at the front desk in the end. They do not like to tell you a room number and just tell you to wait. So we spent our first day in Vegas waiting on another room. It was at the beginning of the week and the hotel wasn´t really full! There was nobody really helpful!

After change of rooms we got another suite where no sounds we to be heard. Size of the suite is great as well as the huge bathroom with a jacuzzi. Bed was really comfortable. Bathrobes would have been nice.

We really liked the huge pool area with the lazy river though they had that shut down early one day because of a private event. As usual in Vegas, there is no breakfast included and you have lots of options to get some food. If you want a good coffee there´s a McDonalds in the food court that serves a good coffee for the half price of the Starbucks next door. The pizza store in the food court was also excellent. Save yourself a few bucks and get your drinks there before heading outside to the pool.

Due to the sheer size of the property the distances in the hotel are huge. It takes some time to get around. We liked the location at the southern end of the strip. There´s a monorail stop to go north on the strip.

Check out in the early morning was quick and efficient, no surprises on the check. We enjoyed our suite but would go elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelnplane

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked an Executive King Suite via an American Airlines vacation package including airfare for a very nice deal. The upgraded room was nice albeit with a nonexistent "view" which was not a problem for us but those who are interested in a view will want to request a higher floor than 10. The room was lovely and large. We had great housekeeping all week. Our room was cleaned while we were out and about during the day with no interruptions to our stay by housekeeping.

We ate at several restaurants at the hotel including Hecho en Vegas (awesome Mexican food), Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill (good food but what I wanted was not available), TAP (awesome bar food - try the bacon corndogs appetizer for a small meal! drool....), Craft Steak (best steak ever and impeccable service), various Starbucks (great lattes and service), and had drinks at the Michael Mina pub (cold drinks and friendly service).

Service poolside was excellent at the adult pool (Director's Pool) from Michelle. She is an awesome ambassador for your brand. Service with a smile for hours in the 115 degree heat. She kept those who wanted shade in the shade of umbrellas and drinks and food were delivered quickly. She was always available without being overbearing at all.

Love the vanilla smell pumped in to obscure the smoke. Makes a difference to non-smokers who are not used to being around so much smoke.

We'll be back!

Room Tip: Request a high floor if you are interested in a view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My wife being the amazing person she is won a trip to Vegas from her business. We were put up at the MGM Grand. The check in process was very smooth we were checked in and on our way to our room in 15 min. We stayed on the 33rd floor with an amazing strip view. The staff was very nice the room was very nice and clean. This place is huge lol so bring good walking shoes. The casino is awesome and incredibly big and like everything in Vegas runs wide open 24 hours a day. We loved the MGM and will definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were in Vegas for the first time and left with a truly fantastic experience. The hotel is very close to the airport which is ideal. There was a bit of queue to check in but we didn't take much notice as we were taking in the design of the hotel. Our room was on the 20th floor so we had a great view of New York- New York and some other hotels. The room was fabulous considering it was just a basic room. I was worried before arriving as I heard people complaining about how much walking there is to do in the hotel however it was less than I expected. In my opinion Vegas is a city where you will be walking more than usual anyway. We went to the buffet on our last night and while the service was good and there was a huge variety of food the quality of the food wasn't excellent. However there are many restaurants in the hotel. We will be returning in the future

Room Tip: Try to get as high as possible for a great view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

While competing in the Barbershop Harmony Society International Competition, I stayed, along with 157 other singers with The Vocal Majority, at The MGM Grand. The hotel, Grand Garden Arena, several full service pools and convention center, along the wide selection of top notch eateries and bars all under one roof made the 4 days in Las Vegas truly enjoyable, even when it was 110 degrees outside. Be prepared to walk but it's worth it. Lady Luck stays at The MGM Grand!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near elevators and view of the Strip or pools.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I decided to go to Vegas before the 4th of July and check into the MGM hotel on the 3rd of July to beat the rush. I arrived earlier than expected but the host at the front desk made me feel welcomed to be there. She insured me that I could check in early (for a fee) or I could enjoy the city and they would hold onto bags until I got back. I went with the second option and toured the city for a while. Before leaving I asked if there were any better rooms than the one I had currently reserved. I was on the west wing and not facing the strip although she assured me that all the rooms were great. I left and came back only to find that she did upgrade my room to the highest floor in the hotel right below the penthouse with one of the best views of the strip . The room was equipped with everything you could hope for (males and female wishes) including a fully stock mini bar. Also if the Las Vegas light were too bright at night I had the option of using two different style window shades that were completely motorized. The casino and lobby was very clean even at peak hours and the hotel location is at one end of the strip . There are shuttles you can ride for $8 and the pass last 24 hours to go up and down the strip. There are many attractions in the hotel and footsteps away on the strip as well. Overall it was a pleasant stay and really felt like I was at the top of the world enjoying Vegas as the rich and famous would. The room upgrade was $20 but worth every penny !!! Especially since I got a great deal on the room to began with.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was my 3rd trip to Vegas and my 1st stay here.
I didn't eat at the buffet but the food court was fine.
We seen Shaq here which was a plus.
I liked the rooms and the room came with a fold out bed. For a 3 day stay they charge a 200.00 security deposit but you should get it back within 5 days of check-out.
The only thing I would complain about is how expensive the cabanas were. I was quoted $800 and when we got there only 1 of the cabanas were rented out (by the director's pool). There is a Wet Republic Club Pool which I liked. Everyone was having a great time. Didn't care too much for the music though. There was a lazy river. I would stay here again, I think I will do Vegas Sunday - Tuesday next time.
Oh they have the Haskaan Nightclub which was $50 to get in to (probably because Shaq was there) Completely understandable but we weren't paying extra for it.
Stayed June 28-30.
MGM is a great spot it is right next door to a convenience store which has cheaper priced waters, liquors, headache medicine, etc. .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends