“Grand Remodel”

MGM Grand Hotel and Casino
Ranked #81 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 29 August 2014

The MGM is clean and very modern. The rooms are not well lit and you have NO privacy. They should rethink the glass doors for the bathroom. It was like a maze trying to find the room, not clearly marked....everything seems to be "West Wing." We have stayed there in the past, but was very disappointed with the hotel this time. I would not recommend MGM to friends or family members.

3  Thank Janice R
MGMGuestExperience, Manager at MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear Janice R:

We are truly disheartened you could not recommend MGM Grand. While we offer a wide variety of rooms and suites, it is clear that our West Wing rooms were not to your satisfaction. We want every guest to have a pleasurable stay, so we look forward to finding you accommodations more aptly suited to your specific preferences, the next time you are in town.

MGM Grand – Las Vegas

Write a ReviewReviews (19,047)

Reviewed 29 August 2014

I visit Las Vegas 2-3 times per year and always stay at the MGM. I like their pool setup, rooms are good and can typically get a good price. My last stay in August was with my husband. I have never taken advantage of an upgrade offer direct from MGM previously, but did on this trip. I received a confirmation letter with my upgraded price. When we checked in, however, they did not have an available "upgraded" room, and the agent said it was based upon availability. The email offer did state "based upon availability" but one would think that if you call to upgrade, and a room is available to reserve, that it is available. Nowhere in the confirmation letter did it state "based upon availability upon arrival". I spoke with a manager and was given a slightly larger room with a strip view which was very nice. However, I never did get my point across that I did not ASK for an upgrade, I was OFFERED an upgrade. It reminded me of the old Seinfeld car rental episode that "you know how to TAKE the reservation, but don't know how to HOLD the reservation". I wrote an email after the trip and they did respond, with the standard "based upon availability". And, in fact, a customer service agent called my home and left a voice mail, but unfortunately, I could not understand her and could not hear the phone number to call back. I will stay there again, but if I want to reserve a "more than standard" room, I will probably go to a different hotel.

4  Thank jomary27

Dear jomary27:

Please know we consider you a valued customer, and apologize for any confusion or shortfalls encountered during your recent visit. On occasion, unforeseen complications hinder our efforts to fulfill all guest preferences. The circumstances you endured are indeed unfortunate, but certainly not commonplace. We are grateful for your patience in these matters. Rest assured we will examine our performance, and seek measures to more effectively serve you moving forward. We are hopeful you will still consider us in the future, as we look forward to better addressing your needs.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

MGM Grand is a awesome casino. Clean, had terrific choice of restaurants and shops. Close to all the Vegas action. KA was a terrific show for the whole family. Only 2 things we found wrong was it is WAY to big , to many turns and no good signage for directions. Also MGM needs a piano bar iron just somewhere you can sit and chill for a hour. It is a very busy casino and we found that it became annoying nit to be able to just sit and watch the world go by without having to bet.

2  Thank Margaret E

Dear Margaret E:

Thank you for making MGM Grand a part of your return visit to fabulous Las Vegas. It seems you enjoyed our glamorous casinos, exquisite dining, and exciting shopping venues. Your comments regarding our spectacular entertainment and convenient Strip location are also most encouraging. We do apologize for any shortfalls in signage, and for any difficulty you had getting around. We also appreciate your suggestions for improvement, and will consider them as we work to further enhance the overall MGM Grand experience. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us, and hope you will visit again, the next time you are in town.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

This was our first trip to Vegas, and we used online photos to choose a hotel. We also bought a package through MGM/ Southwest Airlines. The location of the hotel is nice and the lobby is nice, however right away this struck me as a hotel aimed at a young crowd, with music videos playing in the lobby, and DJ's advertised at the club. This is fine, but it was different clientele than we were used to seeing. The walk to the room was really long dragging our luggage, but again, we were so excited to be in Vegas we did not care! When we got to the room, which was located in the west wing on the 13th floor, we found that our rooms were very small.... like NYC small.... Enough room for a king size bed, small desk and a chair. The bathroom was extremely tiny, with absolutely no counterspace. It was small glass shelves. Pretty, but useless. The door to the toilet area was glass, and did not go from floor to ceiling, resulting in absolutely no privacy if the person you are sharing a room with is in the room while you need to use the facilities.... Yeah.... THAT'S romantic, LOL. The shower was large and spacious but also had a glass door and wall, which was fine, except that the door would not close all the way so each shower resulted in a large pool of water collecting in front of the sink. We used alot of towels to block the water flow. And in case you think this was just our room.... Nope... Our friends had a room across the hall, and they had the same complaints we did. The lighting in the bathroom was so awful that I felt like I was putting clown makeup on. I hoped each day that I wouldn't scare any small children in the elevator before I had a chance to check my face outside....We also found a damaged drawer in the room that no one had fixed. The drawer face had been removed and placed in the closet... with just an empty void in the drawer space under the television. There were large dark stains of an unknown origin on the carpet near the desk. The noise in the hallways at night was excessive; you could hear foot traffic, yelling and doors slamming constantly. All this, yes and an extra 25 dollar per night entertainment fee that we were not told about when we bought the package.... Oh wait yes we were told about it, however they failed to mention how much we would be paying... To make up for it, you get a 50 dollar food credit... Hmmmm. I spent a hundred extra dollars to get 50 dollars of food.... Not impressed with that in the least.... On one of the nights there, we ordered tickets to the Brad Garrett comedy club through the concierge. When we arrived to get our tickets, the concierge had forgotten to purchase them...
Now, I will say that the cleaning staff were very nice and polite, and the pool was beautiful. The spa was amazing and probably the highlight of the hotel, but I did not like it enough to stay here again. Next time I will stay somewhere else but I will definitely visit the spa again!

Room Tip: Maybe try a room not in the West Wing
6  Thank happytravlr99

Dear happytravlr99:

We are happy you found the relaxing comfort of our Grand Spa an indulgence worth experiencing. It also sounds like you enjoyed our Grand Pool complex and our friendly housekeeping staff. It is truly disheartening to know, however, that your assigned West Wing accommodations were unable to exceed your expectations. Please also accept our apologies for the service shortfalls you endured regarding your show tickets. The difficulties you encountered will be examined, and we hope for the chance to more effectively serve your needs on a future visit.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We stayed at the MGM Grand for a week in November. I loved the room, thought the hotel was pretty cool and the staff were amazingly helpful.

Hotel:
- Massive hotel, housing a large casino, a lion enclosure, a nightclub and several cafes, bars and restaurants.
- I think there is also a pool but as we were there during winter, it wasn't open.
- The staff really are very friendly and couldn't be more helpful (especially Guest Relations - who were brilliant)
- Decent location on the strip - situated opposite New York New York, near one of the ends of the strip.
- The nightclub, Studio 54 was average: it was free for females but 20 USD for men to enter (including hotel guests). Once inside, drinks were expensive and you couldn't sit down anywhere unless you paid for a table and bottled spirits. The music was not popular music and the clientele was middle aged - not really our scene.

Room:
- large, super comfortable bed
- massive LCD TV on the wall
- luxury bathroom (separate shower and toilet)
- rubbish view out the back of the hotel (of a loading bay) but we didn't really pay much attention to it and kept the blinds closed.

Food:
- We only ate in the hotel once: champagne brunch on our last day. In our opinion, this buffet was just as good as the Bellagio's buffet. The choice was phenomenal, the tea and bucks-fizz was continually topped up (endlessly, in fact) and the atmosphere was chilled out and welcoming.

NB: You have to pay a room tax (per night) upon arrival which we didn't know about beforehand.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jillymac102

Dear jillmac102:

Your comments are a true delight, as we strive to provide every guest with an excellent experience here at MGM Grand. It sounds like you really enjoyed the many fabulous amenities and entertainment we offer our guests. Your remarks regarding our engaged customer service are also encouraging. Many things have changed since your last visit, however. An impressive renovation has improved our rooms, as well as our common areas. Our nightlife scene has been reinvigorated, and the glamorous Hakkasan nightclub has taken the place of Studio 54. We also no longer have our Grand Lion Habitat, but instead have added many exciting new attractions and dining options for our guests. There is so much new to see and do here at MGM Grand, we think you are due for another visit very soon!

Reviewed 28 August 2014

A heavy vanilla scent is pumped into all the hallways and common areas to cover-up the poor ventilation and smoke. Rooms are sprayed down with the vanilla too. This will make the air feel heavy. The same scent is pumped into the shops at the Cosmopolitan and the Crystals, but there the vanilla just perfectly feathers your nose. Back to the MGM, the room’s TV didn't work. Band-Aid found next to the toilet, so that made us question the whole room. Called service from the hotel phone to fix the TV, and they couldn’t recognize the room number from call id and questioned where I was calling from?!? They were prompt about fixing it and arrived 10 minutes after getting past the bad phone transfers. The fridge in the room is not usable to store anything, and is filled with items at 4 to 6 times the normal price. The pillows are all the same, and have no variance in softness depending on your sleep style. The bed and pillows are much firmer than a Marriott. The tiny gym was full by 6:30 am. The gym was also a sauna (poor ventilation again) and had just 6 treadmills and 8 elliptical, which were all full. Checking in - be prepared to stand in line behind 15 or more people. You can use the speedy checkout in the morning, but if you want to correct the bill, you’ll be back in a line 15+ deep again for 20 minutes or more. Please understand, the place was not busy and the hours I visited should have provided easy service. I checked in around 9 pm on a SUNDAY, and checked out the next morning at 8 am to go to a different hotel with lighter air and better service.

Room Tip: I've heard the MGM Signature are better than the Grand Hotel. I may consider staying there if I...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Sephenth

Dear Sephenth:

We regret your time here at MGM Grand could not meet with your satisfaction. We apologize for the unacceptable condition of your assigned accommodations, as well as the service delays you encountered. As we seek to better our overall performance, we utilize guest feedback like yours to enhance our efforts. We value your opinions, as well as your business, and hope for the chance to improve your perceptions of MGM Grand in the future.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We planned on months for my daughters 21st birthday.. Requested early check in recieved it for one room. They told us to call back at around 1pm should be ready connected me to Housekeeping no english sent me to front desk told me to call back in 20 minutes.. This happened about 3 more times up until 5pm. Finally went down to the front desk ask about room he said yes its been ready.. I explained what they had done since 1pm and blew our dinner plans and all the front desk guy could do is apologize and smirk.. Bell hops amazing and I will never stay there again. I had expressed this to another casino and they had recieved several complaints on the same customer service issue. I suppose all the money they make they are paid to be polite or comp anything we had lost.. Lazy river tops.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in west tower and make sure you confirm early check in and if you need late checkout its...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Robyn S

Dear Robyn S:

We apologize for the multiple service shortfalls and room assignment complications you endured during your recent visit to MGM Grand. Please rest certain these miscues are not representative of the levels of service we strive to provide our guests. We will examine the difficulties you encountered, and pursue avenues for improvement. We want you to have a positive impression of MGM Grand, so we hope you will consider giving us a chance to improve your perceptions in the future.