“Good place for the average budget”

New York - New York Hotel and Casino
Ranked #52 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Clovis, California, United States
“Good place for the average budget”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

So I think I may I have figured out Las Vegas a little bit. You have your high end hotels like the 4 Seasons, Wynn, Aria, Venetian, Palazzio, and a bunch more. I realize, duh, the star levels that go along, but it's much more than that, actually. There's services, like Town cars and limos and just other things you don't find at this level of hotel that you would at those hotels. Case in point- no mini fridges, no water bottles, no robes- even in the suites at the NY NY. Hmmm, interesting!
When I checked in with my 2 kids, MOM alone, no man in tow, and I had booked through Priceline, I was given a room in the New York Tower. We went up to our room and it smelled aweful, like spilled milk, or rotten milk- I should have known the smell, but I couldn't place it. I thought maybe after dinner and we turned up the fan, it would dissipate. We came back, and NO WAY was I staying in this room! So I called down to the front desk and they told me they would give me a new room. Now, I had asked for a room with a view when I checked in and was told there was nothing. Well, imagine my suprise, for $25 extra there was a suite with a view!
After waiting a very long time for bell services, we decided we could stand the smell no longer. A Securtiy Guard who had to open the door for us came in and said it smelled wet and in no way should we be there- it even felt wet to him! He was certian that someone had hung clothing on the fire sprinkers and flooded the room and it hadn't completely dried out yet. When we got to our new room on the Century Tower we much happier. It ws much nicer, more to what we expected. Still no mini fridge, coffee maker, water, or robes, but the view was amazing and the beds were super comfy. The hotel did give out a $50 meal coupon, which came in very handy.
I would say, however, that although the NY NY has an arcade for kids and a roller coaster, there are stripper-like dancers in the casino. Not too appropriate for young boys of 9! Staff overall was very nice about the room change, much more understanding than the other Vegas hotel I recently stayed in!

Room Tip: corner view room is amazing! Ask for specific tower like the Century tower is nicer than the New Yo...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,259)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 7 August 2012

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. The price was excellent. The rooms were updated. The beds were clean and the room was quite. It was super busy but check in went quickly. We would stay again for the price. Spend your money on other things :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Actually3
Kerman, California
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This was not the first time we have stayed at the New York New York but we always seem to find something new and wonderful about this hotel and casino. We brought our three kids this time and they loved the rooms and all of the entertainment. We spent some time just people watching in the restaurants and shops. It is centrally located. We will be returning soon.
Dont forget to use the valet service. The personnel is fast and courteous.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Ok, just got back from staying in the NY, NY from 7/31 to 8/5. Our stay was awesome, and here's what happened for the 5 days we stayed:

Service: Great! Please keep in mind they are people just like you and will respond to your energy. We were always nice and cordial, and always got more of that in return. When we pulled up, the bellhop was great. He brought up our bags to the room and made it nice and easy for us. The guy at check in was great. Whenever we were calling down for help, the front desk was always accommodating.

Beds, Pillows, and Room: Super comfortable. Better than home! We were staying in the Ziggurat Suite and it didn't smell like smoke, it was quiet, and it was under $300 a night for 1,100 square feet! We could have had a few more hangers and towels though. We asked for more towels and they brought them right away. Safe worked great for all my millions (ok, 20's and 100's). The bed was SUPER comfortable and we really liked the hot tub and wet bar.

By the way- when you get into Vegas, get a limo. You'll pay $40 bucks each way to and from the hotel with a cabbie, and we did a limo for $99 for arrival AND departure ($99 for both). Had a bottle of champagne and a rose for the wife. So it's just about the same amount of money, plus you get to have him stop by the small convenience store across from the NY,NY for beer/wine and food to bring back to the room with you.

Room location and Hotel setup: This was my wife's first trip and I've been to Vegas before. On the map, the location is on the south end of the strip, but you can hop on the free tram next door at the Monte Carlo, and get wherever you want to go on the strip. We did that a number of times. Also, In the NY,NY you really appreciate all of the food locations being all there right together, at the bottom of the elevators to our room. If we were hungry, it wasn't like some other casinos where we had to "figure out" where the dining places were. When we were hungry, we could make a B-line for all the food places.

Food/Restaurants: Great food. Gallaghers Steakhouse was incredible. The steaks were cooked to perfection and our liking (medium rare) with great sides and appetizers. Not overboard with too much salts or sugars in the foods. If you like to have some drinks- we sure did <understatement!>, Francisco was a great bartender there, and this was our "home base" with the other couple we stayed with. The pizza place was pretty good. The Italian cafe was also really good with brunch. The Broadway burger joint served up some great ideas with burgers and my mouth is watering right now thinking about that place. It was grass-fed beef and everything was not full of grease. LOL- also the Chin Chin sushi place we visited for two meals! Get the Whitesnake roll that's no longer on the menu (it rocked)- just ask for it. Also the soups were great and also the noodles too.

Gambling: Great, comfortable layout. NYNY has one of the best layouts for gambling, in my opinion. Slots as you enter from the front, and then a bar in the middle of the casino floor, so you could always grab a drink if you didn't want to wait. HERES A TIP FOLKS: If you don't tip before you ask for your drinks, you'll get them when you get them. Give the girls a 5 or 10 spot, and they'll come back to you first, every time. We never had to pay for drinks, only a tip the first time (better than 7 bucks a drink at a bar). I did great in blackjack. I was up every day by $100 to $200 or so bucks (just doubling my money put in every time I sat down). The slot machines were tight. My wife and I (and our friends) were randomly putting in money into the different slots goofing off, and got up some, but never really won any money at them. So, I feel the slots were kinda stiff, but you know the house always wins with slots. Roulette: My friend was up $1,000 when we left. He would put in 100$ and win $250-$350 every time. That lucky sonofa...

Pool: You know, the pool isn't the best pool on the strip, but it served it's purpose. We got plenty of sun, we didn't have to fight for chair space (who wants to do that), and the girls would always bring you drinks within minutes. No wavepools, or huge mountains or caves, but it's a pool, ya know? Convenient and then we'd go to another casino for a DJ vibe. This pool would be good for kids too.

Nightlife: Again, we'd go over and see Fernando at Gallaghers every night. He was a trip. While hangin out with him, we could listen to the dueling pianos at the bar next to us. We also went saw Zumanity (Circque du Soleil). It was GREAT! Best show in Vegas we saw by far. Risque and fun! Those people are seriously talented and put on a great show. The nightlife is fun at NY,NY too. They would have Michael Jackson dancing to Billy Jean, or girls dancing near the poker tables, or even an 'improvised' club really late. And you can't hear any of this going on when you get back to your room. You can't hear the roller coaster, either.

All in all, NY,NY was a great stay for us. I would recommend staying there, and we probably will again. The people there that we met really DID care what we were asking or wanting. To me, customer service is everything and NY,NY delivered.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
16 Thank Mike C
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 5 August 2012

First of all let me preface this by saying I have spent a lot of time in Atlantic City, NJ and its casinos...which I've never really been too pleased with. Las Vegas is SO MUCH BETTER and the casinos on the strip are better as well. We stayed on the 33rd floor and had a room facing the roller coaster. This was perfect for us as I was worried about not being able to sleep and it was perfectly quiet at night. We had breakfast every morning in the italian themed bakery right downstairs next to the elevators. It was delicious and reasonably priced. We also ate at the Mexican and burger places inside the hotel. I found them to be good and reasonably priced as well. Our room was just the average room but it was a great size, and very clean and well kept. I found the casino to be really clean and nice as well. The people at the conceirge desk were helpful in printing us mapquest directions for the next leg of our trip. The only reason I rated 4 instead of a 5 was that the pool was a lot smaller than that of other casinos (we stopped by the others for a look while out walking). But still, the pool was clean and nice.

Room Tip: We liked our room facing away from the strip..it was extremely quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elle S
California, USA
Reviewed 5 August 2012

On the strip, 3 shows at the New York, ( Adult Circus show, very good) ( Dancing Queen for Abba fans in a very small venue "I call it the Karaoke Show with some dancers - must book the 1st to 5th row otherwise very limited view of stage!) And relax and have some fun when they do the Y M C A...
Great location to experience the strip. Better standard rooms than across the street, recommend. MeuterMedia

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Surrey, UK
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This is a great hotel in Vegas. Its not the best hotel- there are one or two better class hotels, but it is the best value. One word of warning- if you like to spend the day around the pool, you might be disappointed- we used to go to another hotel's pool as the NY NY one is cramped, crowded and without much shade. It's also towards one end of the strip- others are a bit more centrally located, but it's not a big deal.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family