“OK Stay - good value”

GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“OK Stay - good value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

First time we've stayed at NYNY and we werent that impressed. We've played and ate here many times in the past, but never stayed till this last April. Our room on the 26th floor faced the roller coaster - and amazingly - we never heard it! That was probably the biggest plus when staying here. The room was cramped and the bathroom was old and somewhat outdated. The bed was comfortable and the room service was good! Not sure we will stay here again, unless we get free nights stay - we gambled and played here alot so hopefully we will get invited back! The Hershey's store wasnt open yet, though the website said it was - bummed we didnt get to see it. A new store Stupidiotic opened and had funny stuff inside, well worth a stop. The line for Starbucks was ridiculous every morning - one cashier? Seriously? They need a Caribou Coffee!

Room Tip: High floors are definitely the best.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1VespaScooter
MGM_Resorts, Guest Relations Manager at New York - New York Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear 1VespaScooter,

It’s unfortunate to learn of the disappointment experienced with your room assignment, as well as any early morning delays met at the Starbucks counter. We appreciate you sharing your experiences with us via TripAdvisor, and hope that despite some of the challenges encountered, you’ll consider returning again in the near future.

GuestServices@nynyvegas.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,167)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Fort Smith, Arkansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I rarely take the time to review hotels and other products, but I feel I need to warn people about a terrible experience I recently had at the New York New York Hotel.

On the night of May 5, some criminals quietly entered my hotel room, while I was sleeping, and stole a backpack with several thousand dollars worth of personal property (I think it was an inside job). I woke up just in time to hear the door closing, and in my groggy state I just assumed some drunks had accidentally been trying to get into the wrong room, so I went back to sleep.

Upon awaking and preparing for my work day (I was there on business), I realized my backpack was gone along with everything in it (computer, wallet, work files, other property). I had been the victim of what the Las Vegas PD calls a "Hot Prowl" at the New York New York. This is a serious felony, and I was lucky that I was not injured while they quietly attacked.

It was bad enough to have my personal life disrupted by this crime. But since I was there on business, it also disrupted my professional life. And of course, I took a major financial hit with loss of cash, credit cards and personal property. But to make it even worse, the response by the hotel staff was PATHETIC!

Not a single person from the hotel staff even offered an apology. Not a single person reached out to me to offer to even remotely try to "make it right." No offer to discount my room, no offer to let me change room, no offer for any type of compensation at all. NOT A SINGLE APOLOGY FROM ANYONE! After filing my report with hotel security, I spent the next several hours in the hotel room trying to desperately contact my credit card companies, my bank, and all the other things you need to do to protect yourself when wallets are stolen (luckily, I still had my cell phone so I could make these calls). During those hours, not a single person outside of hotel security contacted me. Nobody (not a single attempt by anyone) at the New York New York to offer help, comfort, or compensation.

Even after I packed up and went to the front desk and told them I was leaving, nobody offered to do anything to help, apologize or offer any indication that they cared. NO EFFORT at all to apologize or compensate me in any way.

My conclusion: This hotel (and maybe ALL the MGM properties) does not care about their customers at all, and they do not care about their customer's safety. STAY AWAY from this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
20 Thank Matt S
Dear Matt S,

It’s unfortunate to learn of the situation described in your travel review. Given the sensitive nature of the issue, we encourage you to follow up with our Security and/or Risk Management departments regarding your concerns. We regret any inconvenience this imposed upon your stay, and look forward to hearing from you.

ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed our stay here. The rooms were clean and the bed was really comfortable. The decor is in style of NYC which was really cool. The food court is excellent. 48 and crepe and gallaghers I'd say r beat places to eat. The pool was nice and heated though basic for Las Vegas. The one thing I didn't like was the air freshner smell they pumped into the Casino which was very overpowering

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear funkeeslave,

It was nice to see you both here in the Big Apple of the Las Vegas Strip! New York-New York merges the best of two iconic cities into one extraordinary travel destination, offering a flavor of NYC along with many elements that have become synonymous with Sin City. We’re glad you enjoyed yourselves, and hope you can make it back our way in the near future.

Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I took my mom to Vegas May 4-8 to celebrate her milestone birthday. I booked NYNY as I had never stayed there and the price was right. The hotel was great. Even our lowest price room was nice and clean. It was cleaned everyday by 10am. We tried a few resturants in the NYNY and they were amazing too.

All the staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful. I had no problems with the Wifi. I always got a chair at the pool. I never heard any noise from hallways or other guests.

We played quite a few slots in the casino. I won about $200 on the Tuesday and $300 on the Thursday (hours before I was leaving). This was on the penny slots with the lowest bet.

Would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HMGal
Dear HMGal,

We were honored to host your mom during her special celebration, and grateful you both selected New York-New York as the backdrop for the festivities. With well-maintained hotel rooms, an amazing assortment of casual and fine dining restaurants, and some of the friendliest service anywhere, a stay in the Big Apple is always memorable. Congrats on the birthday milestone, as well as your win streak on the casino floor. It was our pleasure to serve you both!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights there. Very happy with the stay. Nice room on the 22nd floor. Efficiently cleaned, great staff, free parking, wifi was not bad and location was excellent. I would highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joyce K
MGM_Resorts, Guest Relations Manager at New York - New York Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Joyce K,

We’re glad you enjoyed your four night stay at New York-New York! With our attentive hotel staff, and convenient location, there’s no better resort destination along the Las Vegas Strip. Thanks for sharing your experiences on TripAdvisor, and please feel free to visit us again at any time.

Lynden, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I just visited Las Vegas for the 8 the time now, and this resort is in the top 3.
Pros: location is good if you enjoy the south strip area. It is not in the middle, but my wife & I don't mind walking. The hotel isn't as big as other MGM resorts, only about 2,000 rooms compared to 4,000-6,000 rooms. The hotel is very easy to navigate, we didn't get lost once.
Cons: the pool, it is small & not as fun as others, it is pretty much just a pool. We spent about 5 minutes there. One of my biggest pet peeves is arriving at a hotel & being told the room I wanted (king bed, non smoking) was not available. I have had this at other resorts in Vegas so I don't know if it is normal or just a timing thing (we arrived @ 3:30ish pm)??? The check in person was very monotone & he did upgrade us to a "better" room, but I paid for a strip view. I understand it says things are just requests, but, come on!!! Also, we changed to our original room the next day, the only difference in upgrade was about 50 sq. ft. We like having our view better then the little bit of extra room.
All in all though, everyone here is very nice & I would return again (once I see the other hotels on the strip, we never stay in the same place twice in Vegas, to much to see!).

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Dink1525,

Although we regret that our pool area fell short of expectations, as well as the limited room availability encountered at check-in, we’re glad the rest of your stay was highly enjoyable. We appreciate the travel recommendation. It was an absolute pleasure to serve you.

Fullerton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Everything was perfect. Totally cool looking inside the casino. The room was very nice and well maintained by staff. Great pool atmosphere. I highly recommend this hotel. Im definitely staying here on my next trip to las Vegas.

Room Tip: Great view of the strip.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John M
MGM_Resorts, Guest Relations Manager at New York - New York Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear John M,

Thanks for the awesome review! At New York-New York, we take the best parts of two amazing cities and merge them together for a resort experience unlike any other. We appreciated the opportunity to serve you, and look forward to your return.