“One of the best on the strip for the Price”

New York - New York Hotel and Casino
Ranked #52 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 June 2014

No lines to check in a great start. Open airy, immaculately kept, great little shops like Hersey to bring treats back, tons of variety for places to eat, pool very nice and kept fairly clean not a ton of cups and garbage floating around it like in other pools.
For the price this location is very good. The best ross in vegas across the street, an ok walgreens for cheap h2o, snacks booze across the street also. The better walgreens are in planet Hollywood and the palazzo at the other end of the strip. A very long walk. Also a Marshals, the coke store, and the m&m store.
A cvs to the north on the same side also.

Two Free trams are close at the Excallibre and at the Monty Carlo. One heading north to the Bellagio the other south to Mandalay Bay.
Casino is very well layed out lots of space, little to no smoke, high ceilings. The sports book is crap. Its a couple of rows of seats that force you to look up at small tvs.
The outside is very nice with often a performer supplied by nyny singing over their speaker system.
None of the very annoying card flickers until you get to the North end of their property. It would be nice for nyny to keep these people away. Cab driver told us they quite often get punched as they can be so aggressive they reach across couples in a threatening manner.
We were in the south tower facing west in a nice sized room. An excellent view. Quiet could see the pool and the coaster. Two nice chairs at the window. Great beds, Nice big screen tv. Very clean and new. The washroom was nice but very small.
We have stayed a quite a few hotels in Vegas including the Mirage, this one tops Mirage in our books.

2  Thank Graham L
Write a ReviewReviews (17,039)

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We had never been to Las Vegas and since it was our son's 21st birthday, we had friends/family who travel often to Vegas tell us NYNY would be a good place to stay. When I first called to inquire about cost I was quoted one price. When I called back the next day to actually book the reservation I was told it was around $120 more what was initially quoted the day before. The second person then "gave" me the price the first person quoted. Even though it was a Friday around 4:00 when we checked in, there wasn't much of a line. Room was Park Avenue which was a decent size typical hotel room overlooking Excalibur and the roller coaster. Room was clean and for the time you actually spend in your room it was good. A lot of energy in the hotel itself and the ambiance is great. Pool area is a little small, but adequate. Overall not bad for the cost.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Melanie R
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I was quite excited to stay at the NY NY Hotel because of all the positive reviews I read here on Trip Advisor. However, there were very few positives by the end of the trip. I have been to Vegas many times and have stayed at many different hotels on the strip and I would say this was the worst in terms of dealing with staff. The front desk staff were very unwilling to do accommodate, help or provide any additional assistance.
Upon check-in we were told that there were no rooms available and that there was no guarantee we would (girlfriend and I) get a queen, even though we were there before check-in time. I told her if we were one of the first ones at the hotel before check-in it would not make sense why we could not get one. The staff member said there was no guarantee and that was that with no further explanation. I also asked if another couple could have a room beside or close to us. The staff member said no and it dependent on when they came in. I have been to other hotels in Vegas and else where and this never seemed to be problem.
Once we finally returned to actually receive our key I asked again if our friends could get a room close to us and this time we were told it was possible, however they ended up in a complete opposite tower.
A few good things were the location of the hotel is great. You are close to MGM, Excalibur, and Monte Carlo as well as lots of great restaurants. I personally really enjoyed 800 degrees just down the street which offers awesome pizza. Security also came very quickly when we forgot our key card to let us in.
The rooms also did not have a mini-fridge. I have done a lot of travelling in my day and even the worst Best Westerns have mini-fridges and yet the NY NY hotel has to charge you 25$ a day for it, which I found absolutely ridiculous. Also, you are charges $20/day as a resort fee in part to pay for internet. The internet only worked intermittently for us.
At check-out we were not greeted, asked how our hotel stay was or generally any conversation at all. I have worked in the hotel industry before and if a Manager ever saw how indifferently we were treated there would be some words with that employee. There was nothing of the effect of "How was your stay?" "What could we have done differently?" I realize it maybe a busy hotel but the industry if built on customer service and based on the attitudes of staff they seemed annoyed and unwilling to help or offer any information. I also called to try and get the email address of the Front Desk Manager and they would not provide it, they only offered that I speak with the supervisor. We of course know that you need to speak with a Manager at least to get any where or get any sort of response. Needless to say, I am still looking for my favorite Vegas Hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a decent room you have to go to the Marquis level.
2  Thank Kayaker17
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Have stayed at time shares when in Vegas, this is 1st time in 1 of the hotels. Would highly recommend the New York- New York, staff very helpful and friendly. Rooms very clean and nicely decorated. Handicap accessibility was perfect for my needs. Hotel was very prompt at meeting my special needs for my health issuses.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Audrey M
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I have stayed at almost every major hotel casino on the strip in Las Vegas. Staying at New York New York for the first time seemed like it would be exciting. The room was pretty nice, clean, average in size and nicely decorated. BUT...the room isn't the only important aspect of a hotel in Las Vegas. The POOL is just as important because I make it a point to spend my mornings into afternoons there prior to going out and dropping heavy cash into the casinos. This is the tipping point of my visit. In the morning, it has become a mad dash of people trying to get the best spot since the SUN hits only one side of the pool in the early morning. Then as the day progresses, it migrates to the opposite side in the afternoon. So, if you want to tan all day, you have to move to follow the sun which is blocked by the hotel buildings towering overhead. Unless you start out in the middle and wait for the sun to make it to you. This is the flaw in the design of the hotel in my opinion. You would think they would take that into consideration when designing the pool area. So, that would be my reason not to return to this hotel in the future. Sad, because other than that, it is a great hotel. But, like I said earlier, the POOL is just as important when making a decision on where to stay in Las Vegas.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank GaryDon1
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We arrived at the hotel for a 5 night stay, on arriving we were met with a lovely woman on the reception who helped us to check in which only took a few minutes , got a lovely strip view room which was rather large with a big bathroom in which was lovely cannot fault it in anyway (well you dont spend much time in there in this town :) won quite a bit in the casino here and will book to come here again had a blast would reccomend to everyone

3  Thank vicky w
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Was 100+ so wear something cool. But everyone was friendly especially the folks outside wearing the costumes, you know they have to be roasting. The casinos were pleasantly COOL and the waitresses came around quite often for drinks, water & non-alcoholic drinks. they have redone a lot of the boardwalk in front of the New York New York & on down a while. Absoutley beautiful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family