“Good Hotel for its price”

New York - New York Hotel and Casino
Ranked #51 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, ON
“Good Hotel for its price”
Reviewed 25 March 2010

New York New York is a pretty good hotel and is located right on the Las Vegas Strip. The hotel is located in a good area, other hotels are you are Excalibur, Luxor, Monte Carlo and Tropicana. It is also not too bad of a walk to the middle of the strip where the nicer hotels are located such as Bellagio and Cesar's Palace.

What I really liked about New York New York was there was a huge food court with a nice variety of different restaurant and eateries and at decent prices. I've been to Vegas many times and sometimes my friends and I have problems finding food at decent prices. So if you are concerned about that, then this hotel would be a good fit for you.

Our hotel room was pretty clean and the service at the hotel was excellent. Beds were comfortable and overall don't really have much complaints about this hotel.

As for the entertainment and nightlife, there is a rollercoaster in this hotel and few bars/clubs like Rok and Coyote Ugly. I didn't go to those spots, the better nightclubs are at other hotels.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank djmumbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,239)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
Reviewed 25 March 2010

We chose this hotel on the basis of its location and in house entertainment, i.e bars, restaurants, roller coaster etc.
The location is good, but not as central as we thought, in my opinion a small bit futher North on the strip is better, i.e Bellagio, Ceasers Palace etc.

The Hotel itself is full of charachter, does in fairness have lots of choice for bars and restaurants.
The in house nightclub is ROK, and is a complete let down and full of men to be honest. The club is tiny too.
Check in was very straight forward, we seeemd to arrive at a quiet time as i did the see the check in lines beeing very long over our 5 day stay.
We are based on the 8th floor of the Park Avenue tower, rooms were very well equipped and spacious.

BUT..........and there is a big but, why do we go to Las Vegas? to Gamble is the answer, and so a Hotel must be judged as a priority on its Casino. The Casino physcially is ok, lots of tables etc, but the service for a drink is by far the worst i or any of my friends have or had experienced, its a DISGRACE!!!!!!!
In Fairness, we had read about this on the TA forums but havening stayed in Vegas twice before, brushed it off as people having a bad experience, well they were all right.
At times inless you got up off your table to go look for a waitress, you will be left waiting and thirsty, so what i recommend is this, if you are goig to Vegas to gamble YOUR MONEY and in return want decent drinks service to YOUR table, for which YOU will tip YOUR own money, avoid this hotel at all costs.

Finally, the weather was very hot (by irish standards) at this time of year and the NY NY outdoor pool was CLOSED, so people, give this hotel a kick up the back side and stay somewhere else.

Thanks,
Dave.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank IrishDave2005
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 March 2010

I go to Vegas a lot and get comp'd a lot. We've stayed at NyNy several tines but hadn't in the past two years due to loving MGM. Well this trip really was the worse. The beds were noisy, the pillows were a joke, the bathroom was forgetable. The noise from the roller coaster sucked and kept me up. I came home and the next day woke up with red itchy bumps on my legs! My dad had the worst of it! His were just times 10. So no more. I'm done with this place. I'll stick to the Bellagio or MGM.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank Ddeclet
lake wales, fl
Reviewed 23 March 2010

My Husband and I just got married on April 18, 2009 and since we live in FL we decided the ideal honeymoon location for us would be VEGAS! This was our first trip to Vegas and we booked our hotel and flight for a great price on Expedia.com, the person booking our trip recommended NY NY and we booked it. I have to admit when we arrived I was a little apprehensive as this was also my first time on a plane so I was exhausted and the wait at check in was a little longer than I had expected and when we arrived our room was not ready yet as we were early for check in. Went to lunch at the America restaurant and had a WONDERFUL patty melt and awesome fries. When our room was ready (we had a park avenue room) we walked in and my jaw dropped! I looked out from our window on the 24th floor and I could see the mountains, the roller coaster, the airport and the Excalibur hotel. I LOVED the view. The noise from the roller coaster didn't bother us as we are night owl and we are in our 20's. Casino was nice. Zumanity was great and we got a 2 for 1 special for staying at NY NY.
COMPLAINTS: Ice machines were very slow and looked ragged, snack machine didn't work on multiple floors, hubby had to go three floors up to get something.
as soon as we got to the counter to check in the lady left to go take her lunch and we had to wait longer.
INTERNET FEES AND CHARGES TO PRINT YOUR BOARDING PASSES!
NO FRIDGE! charged a $3 per day PHONE FEE which Expedia had informed us about ahead of time and then hotel forgot to activate our phone, paid for two days we didn't get.
I recommend that you stop at Walgreens like we did and buy a foam cooler to put beverages in, worked for us.

All in all NY NY made our Honeymoon memorable in so many great ways and we have already booked another vacation here for our anniversary in April 2010!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Allen, Texas
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Spent 5 nights with hubby & 2 teens over Spring Break. Rooms ok - fairly large for a std. room but no in room coffee pot :( Staff very responsive to all requests. Kids and hubby loved the roller coaster. Nice variety of places to eat (although somewhat expensive) - Greenbergs Deli, Pizza Restaurant and Chin Chins were favorites. Loved the location, walk or take the free tram to Mandalay Bay, Luxor, Treasure Island and MGM. Huge arcade across the street called Gameworks with a reasonably priced food court next door to it. Only negative for us was the pool hours - only open from 10am to 5pm. We were usually out all day, would like to have gone swimming or soaked in the hot tub after a busy day of sight seeing. But would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Missouri
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Overall opinion is that this was a good choice for a first time stay in Vegas...

Check in: Many people have commented that check in was a nightmare. We arrived on a sunday just before 4 pm and waited no more than 5 minutes to be helped. The desk clerk was very nice and proficeint. However, he indicated that the hotel fee was 11.99 per day. I told him expedia stated only 8.99 and proceded to pull out my computer print out indicating this. He immediately changed it to the lower price, but stated that i wouldn't have access to internet, which was just fine as I didn't even have my computer...

Room: Very basic, but fine for our purpose. Great view (2235). Beds were comfortable and there was plenty of storage. room had a hairdryer and an iron and ironing board which was nice as I actually needed it one day. It would have been nice to have a mini fridge to store leftovers. The coaster did run by our room, but we were not bothered at all by it.

Casino: Not a large as others, but had all the same stuff. Easy to navigate. Noticed not all the table games were open at one time. Saw waitresses who provided drinks to gamblers, but we were not once approaced while we were playing.

Restaurants: Fine selections, some priced well - a few were overpriced in my opinion. the mexican was good and a great value (see my reviews on all restaurants we ate at under my name).

Bars: Several to choose from. Pour 24, the only bar we actually went to in the hotel, had a really neat bar top.

Coaster: not worth the 14 dollars, but glad i did it.

Hotel itself was very easy to navigate compared to other hotels we wandered through. Everything was kept very clean and I was never overwhealmed by smoke.

Pool: nice, but still cold when we were there, the hot tubs (3 total, only 2 were open) were great though. Pool provided towels, but you can't take them back to your room, so I had to dry off completely prior to leaving the area.

Location: Not bad for a first choice. Monorail station is right across the street at the MGM. If I go back I would put myself a bit more centered on the strip.

Value: I thought the hotel/airfair combo was very very good compared to some of the other places I looked at prior to booking.

Other thoughts from a first time visitor

We wandered many of the other hotels while there. Many were very very cool and I would love to stay in them. However, 2 hotels we wandered through I was very glad we did not stay in. Excaliber- was cool to look at, especially at night but seemed cramped and dirty to me when we went in. Tropicana- very dated looking and smelled like perfume everywhere. this was especially bad as I am highly allergic to strong perfumes...

Day trips.. definately do one. we did a grand canyon tour (see my review under my name about the trip).

Shows: see a show. there are 100's to pick from. we saw KA over at the MGM. see my review.

Thats about all.....

• Stayed March 2010
2 Thank hulagirl98
chariz808
Reviewed 20 March 2010

We booked our room through US Airways Vacations and when we showed up to check in at about 9pm, they only had 2 bed queen rooms available. Granted it was Friday night and maybe booking it through US Airways had something to do with it, we accepted it. The receptionist told us to call in the morning and they could switch us into a King Bed. The boyfriend and I were also a little too nervous to try the $20 trick, so we were happy with what we got. We got a 6th floor room through the New Yorker elevators, all the way at the end of the hallway. Room was decent, no complaints. View was of the MGM sign, couldn't see much being so low.

We called first thing in the morning and they told us that they couldn't do room changes until 1-2pm in the afternoon and that we should go out and explore and check back. We were OK with that. But then 5 minutes after we hung up, they called right back and said they had a room ready for us. Same floor, just all the way on the opposite side. And that trek to the elevator was LONG. But we're pretty easy going people, so we didn't mind too much. Better room with a King Bed. The side of the room with the TV Cabinet was ALL WINDOWS, with a view of the Roller Coaster. And the other wall had another window with a view of Excalibur. Clean room, no problems. Didn't hear the coaster at all, and it was literally right outside our room.

Internet says there is a fee, but with the new resort fee, they waive the internet fee on your bill at the end of your stay.

LOVED the casino. Small in comparison to the rest of the hotels on the strip, but I loved that it had an open design and wasn't your typical Vegas decorated casino, with gold and cheesy chandeliers everywhere. Very modern and "hip"

LOVED the food court/New York Village. Reasonably priced food and Greenberg's Deli had THE BEST sandwiches. We didn't try any of the restaurants because we were on somewhat of a budget.

Bars were a lot of fun. The piano bar was always busy, and I loved that the music carried into the casino. Coyote Ugly and Rok were also favorites.

Overall, I loved staying here. The location was fine, although on the south strip, exercise is always a good thing.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple