“Acceptable Family Hotel - Would Stay There Again”

The Orleans Hotel & Casino
Ranked #58 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We took a family vacation (myself, 5 year old daughter, husband) and met my parents in Las Vegas. It took me a long time to finally decide on this hotel as I was trying to find something that would appeal to the vast age differences (starting at 5 and ending at 68).

THE GOOD: Check-in was easy and quick. Two nights into our stay we upgraded to the remodeled rooms so we could be closer to my parents and it was COMPLETELY worth it - very beautiful remodel. Kids Tyme - the kids area you can check your kids into - was a HUGE hit with my daughter. A bit expensive (I believe it was $7.00 usd an hour) but she had such a great time there that I found it to be an acceptable expense. We had brought her vaccine records and our identification so no problem there. Just know that someone responsible for your child has to stay on-site at the resort - which was great with the grandparents there so we could go out one night to the strip for a few hours. Great variety of places to eat (TGIFs, Subway, Fuddruckers, Sbarros, Baskin Robbins and then a couple of buffet zones). There was a "no smoking" zone around where the food area was which was also nice. HUGE bowling alley that looked awesome but we didn't get around to using it. Also the theaters looked nice but we didn't end up seeing anything. Pool was a good size, they provide towels, which was also nice. Tried a few apples at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory which were delicious. I loved having a safe in our room and a desk with a coffee pot and coffee. I also liked having the little couch so you could sit and visit with people but not sit on a bed. Personally felt that the $15.00 usd charge for the refrigerator for the length of the stay was completely worth it. That way my daughter could have yogurt and apple juice in the morning and we could stay in the room. There is covered parking which is great to keep the car out of the sun - but it's a bit of a walk away from the elevators to the rooms so for us that was fine but for my parents it was a bit of a trek. There is a shuttle and it drops you off at Ballys which I think is great if you want to see the Venetian or Bellagio but not so great if you want to check out MGM. We ended-up taking a cab the day we went to the MGM side of the strip.

THE BAD: If you go for the standard rooms, I found them to be really shabby and a bit smelly. The doors on the bathrooms (even on the remodeled rooms) DO NOT LOCK which was a bit of a pain. We were there over July 4th and the swimming pool was full but the temperature was great. After July 4th I don't know if the pool had been heated or what happened but it was so cold we couldn't get into it anymore! Which was a bummer because that was the one thing my Mom and daughter could do together (and wanted to do together). The channels available on the tv were awful - no cartoons for my daughter to watch. This coupled with the slow internet made the stay a bit uncomfortable as we would like to sleep in or rest a bit but my daughter either wanted to watch a cartoon or be on the move.

THE UGLY - I can't really say there was anything we didn't like and, if I was traveling with my daughter again, I would probably stay at this same hotel. If we were just a couple traveling, however, I may choose to stay at a hotel actually on the strip so that everything is more convenient.

I do recommend this hotel for a family or a couple. I do not recommend this hotel if you are planning on partying it up on the strip. I would not recommend this hotel for a business traveler because the slow internet (if I was traveling on business) would drive me nuts.

Room Tip: It's worth it to upgrade to the remodeled rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Vmami
Write a ReviewReviews (6,093)

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We drive to Colorado from California to Colorado pretty often. We have had several great stops at The Orleans.
1. It's easy to find.
2. The Price is great. We usually stay for about $35 a night on week-days.
3. The rooms are huge, suites.
4. It is clean and has free parking and Wifi.

Things to watch out for.
1. Don't give them a debit card for the extras. They keep $100 for long periods of time. We pay cash and get it back when we leave.
2. Make them tell you what the resort fee is before you register.

Room Tip: Every room that we have had there is great. The eating options are limited and not wonderful, so sto...
2  Thank Poetjude
Reviewed 25 July 2014

If you want to stay away from the strip but not too far, this is a good location. They have a shuttle that goes to the Gold Coast & the strip. It runs about every 20 minutes. The staff if friendly. The rooms are clean roomy & a large bathroom too. The crowd is MUCH older there. The band in the lounge is pretty good. A variety of much, but VERY older crowd.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank FlyGirl129
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have stayed at most of the 4 and 5-star hotels in Vegas, and I love to do it. But, there are times when I do not need the hotel on the strip with the high price. Orleans is my favorite affordable hotel in Vegas. The employees are great. I love to gamble there (lots of locals, which I like). If you are looking for an inexpensive place to stay in Vegas, this is the place I always recommend to friends. Many of their rooms have been recently refurbished which is a huge plus. Also, parking is so much easier staying here. It does not take 30 minutes to get to your car, and it is much easier to get around when you are not on the strip. And I love Big Al's!

2  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I come here twice a year in the spring and the fall with friends. I think that this is a great place to stay! The staff are awesome! They remember us from one visit to the next and are friendly and accommodating. The Canal Street restaurant has excellent food and service!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank crath7856
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Like the Fremont Hotel, The Orleans Hotel is part of the Boyd Gaming Corporation. This place is safe and fun! This property is geared more to the family. There's a lot going on in this property at the arena, movie theater, and bowling alley all put into a single place. Even the locals cater to this place. Lots of smile and, above all, it is a very safe place to be! The security is both conspicuous and inconspicuous--they are not intimidating, but you know you are in safe hands. This place is a must if you have your little ones accompanying you. The access to the guest room is always guarded by a professional and courteous security staff. Housekeeping is excellent and friendly. The guest rooms are brightly lit and very family oriented. Really - you can tell that the security staff, housekeepers, and the wait staff are the backbone of this hotel--they are the very ones who give a positive impression of this property! Both The French Market Buffet and Courtyard Cafe are operated by the hotel. The food there is always hot, super-filling, and great in value! If you want to eat a lavish meal, go to the buffet; if you want to spend more time on the table or the slots, pick an entree at the Courtyard Cafe--either way, you'll have a full tummy! Wait help/service can be questionable at times. Overall, they are great. The only gripe I have is the front desk--the folks there need to smile a bit more and be flexible. We had a question about our billing, but the front desk clerk did not offer to call the front desk manager but just gave us a stern "no" for an answer. (The matter has been addressed in a letter to The Orleans hotel manager.) Well, maybe that's the norm in Las Vegas especially when you have a lot of grouchy guests . . . There's lots of parking but when there is an event at the arena, parking is quite scarce. And if you are tired of driving, there's a courtesy shuttle that operates to other Boyd properties and to the Strip as well. Wi-Fi is free in the guest rooms too. There's a TGI Friday's with great happy hour deals from 3pm to 6pm when you are craving for cheap steak/lobster meals. Would I stay here again? I think so!!!!

Room Tip: There's 1880 rooms available. The hallways are long but brightly lit. Choose a room AWAY from...
2  Thank ussokinawa
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The room was clean, the bed firm and comfortable but the a/c system made sleeping
difficult, specifically the intermittent intrusion of a noisy fan throughout the night. Otherwise, the place deserves a " very good" rating. The video poker machines were generous, and we enjoyed
Big Al's Oyster Bar before taking in a movie in the hotel's cinemas. Lots of friendly staff as well. We were with a tour group for a one-night stay. But, this place is a good alternative to the
pricier Strip hotels. If only that fan worked better.

Room Tip: Make sure the air conditioning fan is quiet.
2  Thank foodhoundBurbank_Ca