“Not what she used to be”

The Orleans Hotel & Casino
Ranked #56 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 18 May 2009

I been visiting vegas once or twice a year for over 20 years. I know the city backwards and forwards and I must say that it has changed a great deal in that time unfortunately not for the better. The orleans opened in the mid 90 s in the coast family of properties. It was my favorite place to stay and by all acounts a " hidden gem ". Since boyd gaming took over this property several years ago it has gone down hill. It is still an O k value but it used to be amazing. now Its very hit or miss. The cut backs are obvious wether its a result of the economy or poor management after my last 2 stays i will not be back.There are far better values with much better service to waste your time with this now mediocre establishment and let me give you my reasons. 1. Valet was once the fastest and best in vegas now horrible at best, and i mean every time 20 min wait min no excuse. and im a great tipper which makes it doubley hard to swallow. 2. service and i mean all service wether it be front desk drink girls or restaraunts etc. mediorcre at best.
3. The gambling staff attitudes are the worst. used to be very friendly now they are inexcusably poor.
4. food from the buffet to the cafe in all eaterys there used to be excellent not just good but great . now the only one that i would recomend is big als oyster bar the food there is still fabulous but the wait staff is exceptionally poor. if you eat there sit at the counter. Food is dynamite.The buffet used to be considered the best value in vegas. now all you see there are hoards of nasty locals feeding their grose kids digusting food for a cheap price.
5. Thats what most of their clientel has become the local dregs hanging about with their kids. Apparantly the orleans is so desperate for business this is acceptable by them.
Now im not picky by any stretch but I believe if your going to do something you should give it your best effort. Wether that be running a casino or just acting civil in any social situation that involves a large mix of peolple. The current management and staff have obviously lowered their standards to the great new amway mentality. This hotel was once a great value but is now just a cheap place to stay. Dont get me wrong its definitely not the wost place to stay and it may appeal to you. However for me I have found better values elsewhere that provide exceptional service. the 2 places I would recomend are South Point or the golden nugget. If price is not an issue try mandallay bay( great property). Dont be fooled by places like Bellaio or the Wynn or the biggest joke cesears. Nothing more than people trying to pad their egos with money and trust me ive stayed at every kind of propety in vegas low to high. Once again if you need a cheap place to stay you could do worse than the orleans even if you spent more money. But dont expect much from this place its nowhere near what it used to be and its reputation far exceeds its current managements and employees ability.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank pulledclear
Write a ReviewReviews (6,069)

Reviewed 15 May 2009

I love the Orleans in Vegas. Sure it's not the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in in Vegas, others like The Luxor or Mandalay Bay or even The Golden Nugget (maybe my favorite hotel in Vegas) are nicer with better places to eat but you can't beat the price at The Orleans, lets put it this way...three nights for 89.00 dollars total! Thats right you read it right. The also have a movie house, bowling alley and some pretty decent places to eat like Big Al's Oyseter Bar and Koji Sushi bar. Have also recently added a small food court. This hotel is really family friendly. I don't have any kids but if I did I'd stay at The Orleans all the time...movies, bowling, cheap eats without all the drunk tourists running around. The Orleans starr is almost always very helpful. The rooms are really decent size for prices that drop as low as $28 a night, I'd say about 450 sq ft. I've had some minor problems like a safe not working, or maybe the phone acting up but they are usually right on the ball with fixing any problems you bring to their attention. I highly recommend this hotel to friends all the time, I sing the praises of the orleans to anyone who asks about my frequent trips to Las Vegas. Has a pretty kick butt pool area too for a hotel so cheap. I'm telling you you can't beat it for the price.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Terpsfan72
Reviewed 11 May 2009

I read alot of the negative comments posted and was expecting a rather "rough" stay...
I was very pleasantly surprised...and for $40 a night, I have absolutely no complaints. The rooms are very nice and roomy, a/c worked perfectly. The beds are very firm so if you like extra-cushy pillow-tops, you won't be happy. But if you like your bed nice and firm, you'll be just fine. The tv's in the room are pretty small, but hopefully you won't be sitting in the room too much! The pool area is extremely nice. Two pools and a jacuzzi pool. The restaurants I thought had good food for a fairly good price. Quite a bit to do other than gambling with a movie theater, bowling alley, good workout room, and free shuttle to the strip. It was nice to be off the strip. Last time I was in Vegas I stayed at Bally's and it was loud (sirens, parties, traffic, etc.). I actually enjoyed staying away from the crouds a little more.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank eaglecountry
Reviewed 8 May 2009

I love staying at the Orleans while in Las Vegas for work (not play). It is a convenient location for most of the town. I like the fact that I don't have to fight "Strip" traffic to get in and out of it. The room price is usually very economical during the work week. These days price is important for business travel! Please note - they do charge a $5 resort fee on top of the price of the room per day. If you are looking for a lot of night life then this hotel isn't for you. But if you want a clean, quiet, well priced room (away from the casino part) then this is it.

The sushi restaurant is awesome! Very casual and the food is excellent. They have a nice selection of beer and sake. The coffee shop is also very handy when you are running out the door to your first meeting of the day.

The rooms are a nice size and very clean. I find the beds to be very comfortable as well. The internet in the room is not free but you can use the business center if you want to check email or print something out.

I am not a big gambler but I do like to play the penny slots while in Vegas. There are lots of slot/game options for the "low roller" gambler like me. On the strip there aren't many places with penny slots so the variety is fun.

Overall, for the price it is is well worth it.

2  Thank arizonakat
Reviewed 7 May 2009

We just returned from our yearly trip to Vegas. We chose THE ORLEANS for several reasons, but price and value were the main reasons.
Check in was a breeze. We arrived in around 9 p.m. and were in our room by 9:15. We requested (and got) the first room nearest the elevator. We were on the 9th floor.
The rooms were very comfortable, and roomy. Bathroom was small, but nothing to really complain about. Bed was very comfortable (we like hard, firm mattresses).
Hardly ever watched television, so I cant comment on that.
Casino is so easy to get around in. There was never a large crowd, you coul play almost any machine you wanted. We even won a little (wife hit a $600 jackpot on a .5 machine, and I hit a keno machine for a thousand!)
Orleans buffet is very nice, with a lot of different stations. We had 2/1 coupons for 2 days.
The coffee shop is very reasonable, and the food is great. Service could not have been any better. The wait staff is superb, and so friendly.
Shuttle to the strip is quick and easy.....only about a 10 minute ride.
Pool was nicer than I expected. No frills, but very nice. We even went to a movie (matinee) and had a great time.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. If this is your first trip to Vegas, and want to experience the Strip...dont stay here because it is a bit off the beaten path, but otherwise.....You will LOVE the ORLEANS !!!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank trocar60
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I'm just not a Vegas person. So when I had to attend a conference there last week, I booked a room at the Orleans. It was clean, smoke-free, and the A/C didn't freeze us out. The pools were great and the shuttle to the strip was very helpful. Uaually a smoke free room means the filter is dirty ans still smells of smoke no matter what. The beds were comfy and my only little complaint would be there was not a mini refrigerator in the room to keep water cold. Otherwise it was fab. Oh and, at the conference lunch, they served a Ginger Mousse dessert- TO DIE FOR!!! Still dreaming about it...............

3  Thank Kelwel8
Reviewed 2 May 2009

This was my second stay at The Orleans - two years I had a great time, loved the buffet - tolerated the off strip location because of value and general friendliness of staff. This time around my stay was the exact opposite. Staff was, for the most part, disinterested or untrained, blatant errors in billing that would not be corrected UNLESS I pursued the matter, French Market buffet was either edible or inedible - total difference from 2 years ago. Even the coffee maker ( I guess you could call it that) was a sorry excuse. The worst part - Billing errors - went through a lot of time and energy getting it straight.

3  Thank kilikina1