“Amazing value just off the strip”

The Orleans Hotel & Casino
Ranked #55 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We chose the orleans after reading the reviews on this site and deciding that it was probably the best value for money and we were not disappointed. The hotel is about a mile off the strip and has regular shuttles to gold coast and the strip. The only down side was that, in a 24 hour city, these stopped around midnight. We walked back if we missed the last bus as it wasn't far and after dark the temperature wasn't too bad, or you could get a taxi but it would have been nice if they went on longer. The casino echoed the hotel in its value for money, quite a lot of the limits were lower eg $5 blackjack and the buffet was cheaper but still of good quality.

There was a large amount of restaurants and fast food joints within the hotel including a fudruckers that was open 24 hours. The pool was also really good although it was in the shade until about midday so it was pretty cold until then!

The bedrooms themselves were a good size and the beds were comfortable. We didn't have a strip view but I actually quite liked this as we had a view of the city and the desert and hills behind which was quite pretty. The room was pretty clean although a little dated but when we paid less than £20 a night for the room it completely exceeded expectaions!!

The only problem I found was that the internet was not free, in our 6 week trip to the US this was one of the few hotels that charged for this service.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank stosie

Reviewed 7 August 2009

Recently I wrote a review of this hotel and casino (see "Great Tidal Wave of Sewage Stink"). My reflections on my experience there remain unchanged, and I never got a satisfactory explanation of why the place smelled so bad. (In fact, the information given to me by the vice president and general manager and the operations manager contradicts what they or other hotel officials told the Nevada State Department of Environmental Protection. But whatever)

I'm just adding this note to report that the operations manager refunded about half of what I paid to stay at the hotel for five nights in July, bringing my per-night cost to just under $45. She was very nice on the phone and in a subsequent e-mail, so it's only fair to amend the record to show that at least one person at the Orleans Hotel and Casino is trying to do the right thing.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank AnotherHappyCamper
Reviewed 3 August 2009

The Orleans is a nice enough hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean. My problem came with check-in. We had been on an extended vacation through seven states, and decided to stay a night in Vegas. I called two days prior to make a reservation. My reservation was made directly with the hotel, and confirmed. I wanted 2 queens because our son was with us. Upon check-in I was told that I had a king in smoking. I said no I had a confirmed reservation for 2 queens non smoking. I was told that the Orleans does not guarantee a room type only a room. I told the clerk that I did indeed have a confirmed reservation and was told that the person made a mistake. They only reserve a room, not a type of room. This is ridiculous--I asked for a supervisor---also extremely rude--was told the same thing. Finally, after going round and round she finally found a room. I was told that I was displacing someone else. The first clerk had told me that it was first come first served on rooms. However, it was 3:30 and all rooms were gone??? The supervisor told me that I made reservations only two days prior and basically too bad.....She finally found a room. Interestingly it was the farthest room that one could possible get from the elevator. By the way, no one was in the rooms near us at all. Apparently they were not booked up. It seems to me when Vegas has lost money due to the economy, the hotels would want to make you happy. Not the Orleans. The supervisor and the clerk as well as the waitresses all seemed sad, mad, and generally unhappy. BEWARE! IF YOU STAY HERE YOU ARE ROLLING THE DICE AS TO WHAT TYPE OF ROOM YOU ARE GOING TO GET. REMEMBER--THE ORLEANS DOES NOT RESERVE ROOM TYPES ONLY ROOMS! Also, the hotel charges $12.99 for the internet for 24 hours????

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank butterfly4mom
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I hadn't been to Vegas in 15 years and never with kids. I relied heavily on TA forums and reviews so here is my contribution. First, our approach to the trip was to take a few days as a family, trying to balance kid-fun with some nightlife for mom and dad, all on the cheap. In retrospect, the correct hotel choice was key. After eliminating the Excalibur and Circus Circus, I ultimately decided between the MGM and the Orleans. The Orleans was a fraction of the cost ($150 for 4 nights!) plus the bowling alley, movie theater and free shuttle to the strip. These features and the good reviews here were the reason I chose it. I was never disappointed and neither was my wife nor my kids 15, 11, and 9. The only criticism I have is that I had reserved a non-smoking room many weeks in advance but upon arrival I was told there were none available. In fact, there was none available for days. Walking up to the room I was certain the smell would be overwhelming and certain to make us all nauseated. The reality was that the room had a slight odor that the kids didnt even notice. We left a small bathroom window open for the first day and that cleared the slight odor. The room was perfectly fine for 5; clean and comfortable. The only issue was that the sliding door to the bathroom sometimes had a loud, shrill squeek when moved. The kids were not impressed with the TV offering, no kid channels at all, TBS was the only one they somewhat liked. For food, we think we made out very well. The buffet breakfast is $6.50 per person but the 5 of us ate for less than $28 because children 7 and under pay a little less and we signed-up for the casino Club Card which got us discounts for EVERYTHING in the casino. The breakfast was a real deal because we went at 10:15 or so every day and the buffet changes to lunch between 10:30 and 10:45. So we had lots of options and the kids loved it. The food was quite good, but tending to be high carb, high fat. The brunch covered one of our two meals for the day. For the kids' dinner we took advantage of the Sbarro and Subway in the Orleans. $16 for 3 foot longs or $14 for a large pizza, using hotel coupons. We only used a cab once, when we came from the airport ($20). We frequently took the free shuttle that drops you at Bills and never had to wait more than 15 minutes, even when we couldn't make it onto the first bus (they seat 24 and no one is allowed to stand). One problem with the shuttle is that if you want to go to either end of the strip, you have a LONG walk, about 45 minutes from Bills to the MGM/NYNY/Excalibur. Probably longer to the Stratosphere. With a little planning, you can take advantage of the city bus system which runs very frequently and long hours. $4 gets an adult a 24 hour pass, $2 for kids. We took the bus back to the airport, transferring to the 109A at Maryland Parkway. We also went to the Pinball Hall of Fame which would have been a $30 cab ride each way. Using the casino's Club Card we got $10 in slot money, a free game of bowling, and free popcorn at the movie theater. I had a lot of trouble using the free internet at Seattle's Best until another patron told me to temporarily remove the firewall on my laptop. No problem connecting after that. We did check out the MGM which has the advantage of being on the strip. It also took 15 minutes to walk from the entrance to the pool (the same time it takes for the shuttle from the Orleans to the strip). From a room it would have been about 10 minutes but you have to go through half the casino. The MGM is also at the end of the strip so walking from an MGM room to the mid-strip Mirage, for example, would easily take 50 minutes. The Oreans is host to a lot of high school sports tournaments so it was FULL of kids. The fact that it is kid-friendly fits nicely with the fact that it is off-strip. Lots of people question bringing kids to Vegas and if you stay on the strip, its easy to see why. The Orleans is not like the strip and with all the affordable amenities, it really is the best place in Vegas for families. And, no, there was never a sewage smell.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
9  Thank CarletonAlumnus
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Travelled from the UK and we stayed at the Orleans Hotel for 14 nights and enjoyed it immensely. The room (on the 3rd floor) overlooked the pool and was spacious and comfortable. Cleaned each morning to a high standard. The buffet in the morning and evenings were excellent, with plenty of choice. Only problem was waiting for toast, as you had to queue with the people waiting for omelettes (no major problem). We only gambled on the slots, but there was plenty of choice and very roomy. Free shuttle to the strip and the Gold Coast every 10 minutes. This is the 2nd time we have stayed here, and have stayed a many hotels on the Strip, but will definitely stay here again next year.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pool4ever
Reviewed 31 July 2009

i stayed here for the third time twice solo and once with my daugher, i enjoy this hotel so much, great pool(always can find a chair), good slots(won yeah!!!!), nice staff, very quick check in. i received 2days comp so was happy only paid for (3) days at low..price.. requested a high flr and statyed on 18th flr view of the mountains, very nice and very clean room.

the shuttle to the strip is very quick no waiting for long periods to and from the strip. buffet had a special for $21 daily for 3 meals what a great idea. great coupons for food and drinks also.

great movie theatre saw (2) recent movies, i really think it is a great place to bring your children and grandchildren, nice activities to keep them quite busy. all in all what a great stay at the orleans will be returning next year.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank BKLYNLADY55
Reviewed 25 July 2009

Very nice hotel. The facility was great, it is a great place for kids with an arcade, 70 lane bowling alley, many places to eat. The price of the food is a bit on the higher side, but not really more than other hotels. Big casino if you like to gamble. They have a lot of table games, but had over half of them closed most of the time, even though some games were filled. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2009