“It is what is says it is”

The Orleans Hotel & Casino
Ranked #52 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Arizona
“It is what is says it is”
Reviewed 15 August 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a few days in August, in one of the newer renovated rooms. The room was not fancy but clean and reasonably new-looking. Nice selection of restaurants and we had a nice dinner at Al's Oyster Bar. The oysters were good and they even had clams on the half-shell! Chowder was good, but too thick, as is now the trend everywhere. Casino wasn't kind to me, but so it goes. We had our own car so distance from the strip wasn't really an issue for us, but it would be a bit of hike if you wanted to walk.
Like other reviews, I wasn't happy with paying for internet access and the TV channel selection was far too limited. I had trouble finding a news station to see what was going on in the "real" world. I was also not pleased after having paid for my stay on-line via hotels.com, I was hit with a $5/day "resort fee". ?????
All in all, fine for a place to set up camp for a while, not up to the level of the finer newer hotels, but okay for the price.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,332)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
melbourne, australia
Reviewed 12 August 2009

There isn't anything bad you can say about this place. Check in staff, amazing, rooms, amazing, buffet, amazing, slots, paying, cocktail waitresses, always there. This is the best place to stay in Vegas, I have stayed at others, but always come back to The Orleans.

The rooms with a Strip view are great and everytime we have asked for one at check in, we've got one, this time we were on the 19th floor. Rooms are big and VERY clean. The staff are helpful if you are to require additional things.

The buffet is great, we tried at least 8 buffets in the time we are in Vegas, and The Orleans was the best. Great selection, nice and quiet and cheap. Plus you don't have to walk far to return to your room. Perfect.

The slots pay out here and the Cocktail staff are always around and very quick to bring back your drinks. It is a great place.

We got cheap rates via their website and are already planning my return trip in March next year.

You must stay at The Orleans, it's off The Strip about a 3 minutes drive to corner where MGM, New York New York is. I hear it's a $10 cab ride to the Strip, but we had our own car. The parking is great close to the entrance and the Vallet is also good and quick.

Great big pool which is pretty quiet, it's a great place to relax and unwind before hitting Vegas.

I would recommend this to anyone going to Vegas, Best hotel in Vegas in my mind.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank lethal77
Queens, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2009

This was my second trip to The Orleans (first one was 4 years ago) and our stay was for 4 nights. Check- in went smoothly. Had a choice between a renovated room without a good view vs. the older room with a great view. Opted for the newer room because how much time would you spend looking out your window? The differences were very noticeable. The newer rooms have the TV in an armoire vs. on top of the dresser drawers. The old large oval mirror which reminded me of the Snow White mirror is now replaced with a large rectangular one. The unique bathroom sliding door looks newer than the one we had 4 years ago. The bed is no longer covered with bedspreads—it has been updated to the way most hotels make their beds now—without a full bedspread.
The first night, we noticed that the drain was very slow once you start the shower. Since it wasn’t an emergency and it was very late when we showered, I waited until morning to report it. Amazingly, maintenance came and cleared it within 10 minutes. I expect this quick service from a 5 star hotel, but not from a 3 star. I expected it to be fixed by the time we returned to the room. Kudos to them.
Unfortunately, slots weren’t kind to me here although there is a good variety of them. Tables turned out better. Courtyard Café food was very reasonable and if you don’t want to indulge in lots of food, the café’s portion sizes are more than adequate. Appetizer portions can serve as lunch, especially the quesadilla.
Shuttle to the strip was very convenient and we never had to wait very long. For the price, Orleans can’t be beat by what it offers.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank wanderlustcrazy2
London, UK
Reviewed 11 August 2009

We chose the orleans after reading the reviews on this site and deciding that it was probably the best value for money and we were not disappointed. The hotel is about a mile off the strip and has regular shuttles to gold coast and the strip. The only down side was that, in a 24 hour city, these stopped around midnight. We walked back if we missed the last bus as it wasn't far and after dark the temperature wasn't too bad, or you could get a taxi but it would have been nice if they went on longer. The casino echoed the hotel in its value for money, quite a lot of the limits were lower eg $5 blackjack and the buffet was cheaper but still of good quality.

There was a large amount of restaurants and fast food joints within the hotel including a fudruckers that was open 24 hours. The pool was also really good although it was in the shade until about midday so it was pretty cold until then!

The bedrooms themselves were a good size and the beds were comfortable. We didn't have a strip view but I actually quite liked this as we had a view of the city and the desert and hills behind which was quite pretty. The room was pretty clean although a little dated but when we paid less than £20 a night for the room it completely exceeded expectaions!!

The only problem I found was that the internet was not free, in our 6 week trip to the US this was one of the few hotels that charged for this service.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank stosie
Oakland CA
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Recently I wrote a review of this hotel and casino (see "Great Tidal Wave of Sewage Stink"). My reflections on my experience there remain unchanged, and I never got a satisfactory explanation of why the place smelled so bad. (In fact, the information given to me by the vice president and general manager and the operations manager contradicts what they or other hotel officials told the Nevada State Department of Environmental Protection. But whatever)

I'm just adding this note to report that the operations manager refunded about half of what I paid to stay at the hotel for five nights in July, bringing my per-night cost to just under $45. She was very nice on the phone and in a subsequent e-mail, so it's only fair to amend the record to show that at least one person at the Orleans Hotel and Casino is trying to do the right thing.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank AnotherHappyCamper
California
Reviewed 3 August 2009

The Orleans is a nice enough hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean. My problem came with check-in. We had been on an extended vacation through seven states, and decided to stay a night in Vegas. I called two days prior to make a reservation. My reservation was made directly with the hotel, and confirmed. I wanted 2 queens because our son was with us. Upon check-in I was told that I had a king in smoking. I said no I had a confirmed reservation for 2 queens non smoking. I was told that the Orleans does not guarantee a room type only a room. I told the clerk that I did indeed have a confirmed reservation and was told that the person made a mistake. They only reserve a room, not a type of room. This is ridiculous--I asked for a supervisor---also extremely rude--was told the same thing. Finally, after going round and round she finally found a room. I was told that I was displacing someone else. The first clerk had told me that it was first come first served on rooms. However, it was 3:30 and all rooms were gone??? The supervisor told me that I made reservations only two days prior and basically too bad.....She finally found a room. Interestingly it was the farthest room that one could possible get from the elevator. By the way, no one was in the rooms near us at all. Apparently they were not booked up. It seems to me when Vegas has lost money due to the economy, the hotels would want to make you happy. Not the Orleans. The supervisor and the clerk as well as the waitresses all seemed sad, mad, and generally unhappy. BEWARE! IF YOU STAY HERE YOU ARE ROLLING THE DICE AS TO WHAT TYPE OF ROOM YOU ARE GOING TO GET. REMEMBER--THE ORLEANS DOES NOT RESERVE ROOM TYPES ONLY ROOMS! Also, the hotel charges $12.99 for the internet for 24 hours????

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank butterfly4mom
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I hadn't been to Vegas in 15 years and never with kids. I relied heavily on TA forums and reviews so here is my contribution. First, our approach to the trip was to take a few days as a family, trying to balance kid-fun with some nightlife for mom and dad, all on the cheap. In retrospect, the correct hotel choice was key. After eliminating the Excalibur and Circus Circus, I ultimately decided between the MGM and the Orleans. The Orleans was a fraction of the cost ($150 for 4 nights!) plus the bowling alley, movie theater and free shuttle to the strip. These features and the good reviews here were the reason I chose it. I was never disappointed and neither was my wife nor my kids 15, 11, and 9. The only criticism I have is that I had reserved a non-smoking room many weeks in advance but upon arrival I was told there were none available. In fact, there was none available for days. Walking up to the room I was certain the smell would be overwhelming and certain to make us all nauseated. The reality was that the room had a slight odor that the kids didnt even notice. We left a small bathroom window open for the first day and that cleared the slight odor. The room was perfectly fine for 5; clean and comfortable. The only issue was that the sliding door to the bathroom sometimes had a loud, shrill squeek when moved. The kids were not impressed with the TV offering, no kid channels at all, TBS was the only one they somewhat liked. For food, we think we made out very well. The buffet breakfast is $6.50 per person but the 5 of us ate for less than $28 because children 7 and under pay a little less and we signed-up for the casino Club Card which got us discounts for EVERYTHING in the casino. The breakfast was a real deal because we went at 10:15 or so every day and the buffet changes to lunch between 10:30 and 10:45. So we had lots of options and the kids loved it. The food was quite good, but tending to be high carb, high fat. The brunch covered one of our two meals for the day. For the kids' dinner we took advantage of the Sbarro and Subway in the Orleans. $16 for 3 foot longs or $14 for a large pizza, using hotel coupons. We only used a cab once, when we came from the airport ($20). We frequently took the free shuttle that drops you at Bills and never had to wait more than 15 minutes, even when we couldn't make it onto the first bus (they seat 24 and no one is allowed to stand). One problem with the shuttle is that if you want to go to either end of the strip, you have a LONG walk, about 45 minutes from Bills to the MGM/NYNY/Excalibur. Probably longer to the Stratosphere. With a little planning, you can take advantage of the city bus system which runs very frequently and long hours. $4 gets an adult a 24 hour pass, $2 for kids. We took the bus back to the airport, transferring to the 109A at Maryland Parkway. We also went to the Pinball Hall of Fame which would have been a $30 cab ride each way. Using the casino's Club Card we got $10 in slot money, a free game of bowling, and free popcorn at the movie theater. I had a lot of trouble using the free internet at Seattle's Best until another patron told me to temporarily remove the firewall on my laptop. No problem connecting after that. We did check out the MGM which has the advantage of being on the strip. It also took 15 minutes to walk from the entrance to the pool (the same time it takes for the shuttle from the Orleans to the strip). From a room it would have been about 10 minutes but you have to go through half the casino. The MGM is also at the end of the strip so walking from an MGM room to the mid-strip Mirage, for example, would easily take 50 minutes. The Oreans is host to a lot of high school sports tournaments so it was FULL of kids. The fact that it is kid-friendly fits nicely with the fact that it is off-strip. Lots of people question bringing kids to Vegas and if you stay on the strip, its easy to see why. The Orleans is not like the strip and with all the affordable amenities, it really is the best place in Vegas for families. And, no, there was never a sewage smell.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family