“An Excellent Value!”

The Orleans Hotel & Casino
Ranked #57 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 8 October 2006

I love Las Vegas and try to visit several times a year; this summer I decided to try somewhere I hadn't stayed before, as well as an off strip location. After doing some research on the vegas themed sites, and of course, turning to the reviews here on Trip Advisor, I decided to try the Orleans. The only "con" that most people here listed, is, it is off the strip by a few minutes, but since I always drive to Vegas, I have my car. so I knew that woudln't be an issue. In fact, it's only about 5 minutes from the strip not that bad at all.

This hotel was a great value--I stayed from 6/18-6/23-06. Sunday night was $45, and the rest of the week was, I believe about $65. The rooms are LARGE, very comfortable; I was given a "strip view" room on the 17th floor, out of a large window I could the see backs of NY NY and so forth, wonderful view, beautiful at night. (I'm fond of staying on upper floors for nice views). Rooms, as i said are large; either 2 queen or a King bed, dresser, desk, and an actual sitting area by the window' the bathroom is to the back of the room, with a door that slides shut (kind of unusual), and one thing I really liked that I had NEVER seen in a hotel bathroom before--there's a window in the shower! Everything was very clean and well kept up. I felt I was getting an excellent bargain, this class of room for these prices. Base rate for my room, for 5 full nights, came to $305; that will only buy you ONE night in many places on the strip now.

The food was very good-I ate quite a bit in the "French Market Buffet," they also have a TGIF restaruant inside, a subway, a coffe shop, a "Terrible Mikes" which is sort of like a Fatburger, old school greasy diner type stuff, very good too. Another place I enjoyed I don't remember the name of, but it was both a sushi bar and chinese restaraunt! Now, besides all that the Orleans has a 70 lane bowling alley, a multiplex theatre, and an arena that hosts concerts, minor league hockey, WWE wrestling and all kinds of other events. You could actually spend your whole vacation without leaving the property--there is at least a weeks' worth of things to do (not counting the huge casino) and eating establishments to try.

That brings me to the only "con" from my point of view--this place is big. Not big like the Hilton, or Tropicana, but pretty big. The halls are long (especially when you're tired, lol) and it has one of the largest casinos in town; it takes a few minutes to walk from one end of it to the other; in fact parking is about a half mile away from the room elevators if you go through the casino (seriously). Here's a tip I found out: when you come out of the parking structure, instead of walking into the casino (to your right) go to your left, through the double doors; you will go through a big courtyard, then into the area where the room elevators are. This saves a HUGE amount of walking when returning to the hotel to your room; otherwise you must walk ALL THE WAY through the casino. (Unless you LIKE all that walking-- I don't happen to :) )

I was pleased with everything about this hotel; from the courteous quick check in, the room, the food, the gaming (I won a bunch of money, by the way); service was excellent, it is an unbelievable value and I enjoyed it a lot. I would highly recommend the Orleans Hotel and Casino!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled solo
57  Thank brucewlf
Write a ReviewReviews (6,038)

Reviewed 6 October 2006

If you don't mind being a bit off the main Strip, this is an excellent value. Rooms are large, clean and updated. The 3 pools are large and wonderful.

Can get a great price by booking over the internet. For our large family, got 2 adjoining rooms with a door between them, for way less than a single room at other similar hotels on the Strip.

Stayed: August 2006
6  Thank gevaltech
Reviewed 6 October 2006

We have just returned froma 4 night stay at the Orleans. We had orginally booked at Circus Circus but changed due to the reviews on this site. The Orleans was fantastic. Check in was quick and easy and we were given a fun book each. The fun book has coupons for discounts for a variety of different resturants, bars and facilities such as bowling etc. The rooms were very large and comfortable. More importantly they were clean and the bed was extremely comfy. The facilities were great. The pool was large and clean and very cooling after the heat of the day. It does close at 6pm, but I soon found out that most vegas hotel pools do as they want you in the casinos not the pool. The hotel and casino is huge, with the outdoor pool area, movie theatre, bowling alley as well as the casino itself. We saw very few children and once the door was closed to your room it was quite. We ate at the buffet which was delicious and my partner won a dinner for 2 to the prime rib loft at the monday night football party in Brendans pub. The dinner was delicious but as most things in vegas there was way to much food. We used the shuttle bus to get to the strip and it drops you off outside the Barbarry Coast Casino which is across the road from the Bellagio. The shuttle bus back to the Orleans was a little trickier to catch as it is only a 20ish seater bus and there was always lots of people that came from no where to get on the bus. There was no line and people didnt care if you had been waiting longer, they just pushed their way on. After a couple of days we realised you could catch the public bus from the corner outside New York New York which dropped you off directly outside the Orleans. We would buy a Duece ticket for all day ($5) and you could get on and off the duece as you liked and it was also valid for the public transit system. A couple of times we caught cabs back and from the Luxor to the Orleans was less than $9. The cab drivers can be a bit nasty and we got abused for not giving a big enough tip so we stuck to the bus which didnt take much longer. Overall the Orleans is not as flashy or classy as the bellagio and the like BUT i think was just as nice as it was comfortable and i never felt out of place. The security was great (you had to show your room key at the elevator) and the price was excellent for what you got. We would definetly return only to stay and enjoy the orleans.

18  Thank charliegirl_b
Reviewed 4 October 2006

We've just returned from 10 nights at the Orleans and it is everything we expected after reading the reviews on this website. The rooms are unbelievably big and spacious (in my opinion,streets ahead of the rooms at the Luxor,which were very disappointing),huge comfortable beds,a non-smoking room on a non-smoking floor (the 18th) which,for once in Vegas,didn't smell of smoke - terrific accomodation. It's a very quiet hotel in relation to the Strip but that's a big plus in my book - I love Vegas for the fact it's loud and "in your face" but it's lovely to escape from it to sleep,and there is no better place than the Orleans. The shuttle's a great idea but it's no big deal to get a cab to the strip - most evenings,after spending them on the strip,we just walked to New York,New York and got a cab from there;just over seven dollars (we always gave the driver ten!) to get back and no waiting for the shuttle - simple. I will stay here again without a shadow of a doubt next time we return to Vegas,and I recommend evryone else should try it too - you won't be disappointed.

9  Thank jaffakelv
Reviewed 4 October 2006

Only 2nd trip to Vegas and a bit dubious about staying off strip.
Will not be next time. The Orleans is a great hotel with great facilities. Fantastic selection of restaurants, bars. Big room and lovely pools. Shuttle regular and free, ok you should tip. Low table minimums means you can enjoy the fun and not loose a fortune. Thoroughly recommend

Michael

10  Thank mpo8000
Reviewed 4 October 2006

My family and I stayed at the Orleans on 9/9-9/11/06. My sister and I are in our 20's and the rest of the family is around 50y/o. Our trip to Vegas was fast and furious and the Orleans fit our budget. We rented 2 rooms for the End of Summer price of $89/weekend and $55/weekday. It was the cheapest I could find for a decent hotel/casino.

We actually had a great time staying here. The rooms are huge and the beds are comfortable. We mainly stayed in the casino area so I can't so much about the extra stuff they have there. We ate at the buffet for breakfast/brunch a couple of times. Pretty good selection and their brunch is fantastic. We had dinner one night at the Big Al's Oyster Bar. Really great food! We had comps for $80 and that was enough to feed 6 people!

We had a rental car so the trip between the Orleans and the strip wasn't bad at all. It was easy to drive in Vegas. The best way to get to the strip from the orleans is to go west to Decatur and make a right then make a right on Spring Mountain Rd. There is plenty of free parking at the TI and Mirage lots.

I didn't win at the Orleans, so I was kinda upset about that! We didn't really gamble anywhere else but at the Orleans.

Overall, I think the Orleans is a great place if you want to save your money for gambling and other expensive things in Vegas. If you want a comfortable place for the price, this is a great pick.

Also it's close to In-N-Out burger. It doesn't get any better. :-)

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15  Thank ang3ldu5t
Reviewed 3 October 2006

My weekend vacation was alright. The Orleans did not have any broken pipes and everything did work. So what's my beef?

The Orleans is a little off the strip, so let's say you can not walk to any other hotel very easily. In the hotel's defense, they do offer a complimentary shuttle to the Gold Coast (off the strip) and the Barbary coast (on the strip). Just FYI....although the Barbary Coast is very tiny and smoke filled, it was a very happening casino and the patrons were of varying ages (from 20's to 50's).

Back to the hotel and casino at hand. The Orleans was clean and everything was in its place. I stayed on a non-smoking floor, however there were ashtrays at the elevators and throughout the floor you could smell light smoke. The room was completely smoke free.

The water in the shower did not get very hot, so now chance of burning. The water in the pool are was a better temperature and the pool are is probably the hotels best attribute.

If you are going to Las Vegas to relax, the Orleans could be a good bang for the buck. If you are going for the adventure of it all, stay on the strip. Overall, it just didn't have anything special.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank 1place_at_a-time