“Sleek and Modern but not the Vegas I know”

ARIA Resort & Casino
Ranked #15 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Stayed at Aria the last week of December through the Jan 2nd. This hotel is part of the massive City Center Complex, where it is connected to a brand new shopping center, a brand new Apartement hotels, Mandarin Oriental, and Private Residence Towers. The complex is impressive, tall, sleek, very modern. It will give you an impression of being in the middle of an urban jungle like Hong Kong or Tokyo. That said, it lacked the charm that other Vegas hotels like Bellagio, Caesars, Venetian, or the Wynn has. The decor is very minimal and industrial looking. My husband did love this hotel because of the high ceiling and the glass roof on some area.
The room again is very modern. When the door opened, the window pannel automatically will open. Large and tall window have nice views of the strip. The bathroom though is not very attractive, cold brown marble and square shower. I personally love the Wynn the best, but again, my husband thought the Wynn is too ornate and stuffy. If you don't like the Wynn, you might love this new hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank SeichanG
There are newer reviews for ARIA Resort & Casino

Reviewed 5 January 2010

My husband and I come to Las Vegas after Christmas every year. This year we were soo excited to come to the Aria. A new hotel, somewhere we have never been. The check in was great we arrived at the Hotel and 30 minutes later we were in our room. At first we thought this is awesome with the curtains opening on arrival and all the technology for all the lights TV locks, but then if you hit the wrong button you are screwed. For example if you hit the goodnight switch on accident, it will take you several minutes and attempts to correct it. Overall the room was fine, just keep your reading glasses handy. Kudos to the elevators, we stayed on 23rd floor and we never had to wait for an elevator and the hotel was full.

I am not a complainer but lordy the buffet was the worst I have ever had. We are from Texas and love good food. But when they didn't have a big variety and no American food was served exept I did get some mashed potatoes with raw clumps of potatoes in them. At the buffet price (90.00 for two) us country folks would at least like cooked potatoes and cheese on the salad bar.

2  Thank SherryLee15
Reviewed 5 January 2010

The rooms are very nice. The toilets seem to flush slow. Bad water pressure? Too "green". The casino is DARK. Not enough enjoyable games there either. Way too dark. Can not hardly tell which way you are going. We are unsure if we would stay there again or go to Bellagio. Bellagio is tops in our books.

1  Thank Hollyhock59
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Our friend that goes to Vegas all the time recommended we try the Aria since she had a casino host that moved there. She told us the host was the best in Vegas and doubted they would work at a hotel that wasn't just the best.
Well.......... from start to finish it didn't go well. Check-in was over an hour and we didn't get the rooms we asked for (adjoining with the other couple we traveled with). The rooms weren't ready until after 5PM and when we did get to our rooms, one hadn't been cleaned from the previous occupants. We had problems with our keys from time to time and housekeeping was not good. The paid no attention to "do not disturb".
The rooms were nice, but smaller than expected and the technology wasn't the most user friendly. NOT worth the money.
Casino was okay, but we played for over two hours without being offered a drink.
I know this place is new and we should expect some gliches, but when everything was over with, we wasted over 10 hours of our vacation on problems and issues (we were only there for two days). Waiting around for things to be fixed or remedied does not make a happy vacation.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone right now. We told our friend who recommended the Aria how unhappy we all were. She had reservations for later this month and quickly cancelled them for another Vegas property.
Even though we know the Hotel is new, we would never try it again. The staff appeared to be totally overwhelmed with all of the problems and had just given up trying to make people happy. ... A real shame since we all were so excited to try out this great new innovative hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
7  Thank NMtravelerNewMexico
Reviewed 4 January 2010

I just got back from a two night stay at Aria from January 1st to 3rd. Visited with a friend. We are both women in our early 30’s.

Aria is not a 5 star hotel. Rooms smaller than I expected and we had a few problems.

When we first arrived, I decided to have a shower. The water was luke warm and the pressure was very low. Also noticed when we arrived that we had no drinking glasses in the room and the ice bucket was full of water from the previous occupants. I called house keeping to get a new ice bucket and four glasses – I got 2 glassed and no ice bucket.

The next morning, at 9am, after a second luke warm shower, we got a knock on the door. It was house keeping. I asked them to return in about an hour. We left for the day, and returned to our room at 3:30pm to find it untouched – we called back before we went to dinner and were assured that someone would come. After dinner at 8:30pm, we returned to an untouched room. By the time someone came it was 9:30pm so just asked for towels. For our entire stay from Friday at noon when we checked in, until Sunday afternoon when we checked out, our room did not get cleaned.

There are not a lot of options for food in the hotel. More casual dining is needed. We ate at two of the restaurants.

Lemongrass (Thai) – My friend and I decided to share a couple of dishes. We ordered Vegetarian Spring Rolls, Vegetarian Pad Thai and Yellow Curry Chicken. The spring rolls did not have much flavor and the dipping sauce tasted like it was picked up from a grocery store – nothing special. The Pad Thai did not have much flavor either. Curry was tasty. Overall, I would not recommend. It is not as good as most Thai take-out restaurants in Toronto.

Julian Serrano (Tapas) – Everything tasted great. Service was excellent. Be forewarned, portions were small even for Tapas. I had chicken croquets, pan tomate, chicken skewers, white fish ceviche, a dish or fried potato with aioli. The ceviche was the best part of the meal. Very flavorful and fresh tasting. Great place to relax with a cocktail and have a few bites.

All of the staff at the hotel were extremely friendly, I just think it is poorly run. I would not stay at Aria again. Not worth it. Go to Caesars instead.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank green_limes
Reviewed 4 January 2010

We checked in for two nights on Christmas day. Once we finally got valet to park the car, we faced a mob of about 200-300 people waiting to check in due to the "system being down." Staff was good in that they called me 2 hours later as promised, saying the system was fixed. Upon return to the hotel, had to wait 30 minutes to check in.
The slots were also a mess that day, and everything was a "hand pay" if you cashed out. I saw this when walking through (every screen had hand pay---30 cents, etc), so we just went to Monte Carlo.
Valet parking is a real problem with drop off and pick up being so far apart. However, we discovered that the back entrance valet is much more convenient IF you know Vegas well enough to negotiate the back roads to use it.
The Elvis show is far from ready. We felt ripped off even at the "preview' price of $130 per ticket. Honestly, it was so busy in the food venues, we chose to eat at other places, but this is not a convenient place to come and go, as we like to do when in Vegas.
We stayed the next 3 nights at the Venetian, and had a great time there. Maybe the place will get it together, but this will be the only visit for us. The rooms were nice, but too much techno stuff to fool with to get the TV to come on, etc. Give me Caesars, Wynn, Venetian, even the Mirage anytime over this one. I hope they get it together because it needs to succeed, but it has a ways to go.

2  Thank Vegasclint
Reviewed 4 January 2010

We stayed at Aria Resort and Casino from 25 December to 31 December 2009. We were going to Vegas for Christmas anyway, but we got a fantastic deal on flights and hotel, hence why we decided to stay at the newest hotel on the strip! I don’t regret staying at the Aria because it’s nice to stay somewhere that’s all new and sparkling, but given my time over again I’d probably wait a year or so and that’s what I’d recommend if anyone were to ask me whether they should stay there or not? We expected teething problems; after all, it’s a multi billion pound resort with thousands of rooms, with everything new to everyone, staff included, so anyone visiting shouldn’t expect everything to be flawless.

CHECK-IN - When we arrived on Christmas Day, the computer systems were down (something that can happen in any hotel at any time, so I was appalled at the attitude of guests towards the check-in staff, this wasn’t their fault and they moved as fast as they could at a busy time). What I couldn’t accept was the inadequate training the staff had obviously received. We never take credit cards to Vegas (for obvious reasons), paying our hotel bill up front through Expedia or Travelocity. We have been to Vegas six times previously and not once have we been asked to leave credit card details at check-in for ‘incidentals’. This time the lady on check-in told us that if we weren’t prepared to leave credit card details then we would have to leave a deposit of $130 per day!!! We know exactly what each dollar is for when we bring our money to Vegas and we have a certain amount for gambling, a certain amount for food and a certain amount for shows etc, to take any money off us would have messed all this up! Anyway, after a small argument the check-in lady brought across her manager who immediately stated that this was incorrect and that we didn’t have to pay anything, all extras would just be deactivated from our room i.e. we wouldn’t be able to choose ‘pay-per-view movies’ or pay for internet access etc. All fine by us, you don’t come to Vegas to watch TV! What did annoy me is that whilst we were checking in (which took us over an hour) all the managers were just standing back and watching their staff mess things up. Perhaps if they were training them properly in the first place, there would have been fewer arguments at check-in, meaning fewer mistakes to clear up!

ROOMS - Once we were finally checked in, we found our room pretty easily, through the casino to the guest elevators which is pretty standard in most Vegas hotels. Our key card worked first time and we didn’t have any problems with this throughout the duration of our stay. The room itself was fine. In my opinion, nothing special, the king size bed was standard size for Vegas, although the room itself was fairly small, definitely not as large as the room we had at the Mirage, earlier in the year. The technology was pretty hi-tec but an idiot’s guide on how to work it would have been helpful, if you pressed the wrong buttons you found yourself in complete darkness with the curtains closed! If you wanted to attach your ipod to the TV, then you had to purchase the accessories kit, whereas at the Mirage they have an ipod docking station which you can use for free! The bath and shower were fine and with reference to what someone previously stated, the shower is more than powerful enough! What did surprise me was that for a hotel which is supposed to be ‘green’, there is no plug for the sinks, so when my husband had a shave he just had to leave the water running – an oversight??!! I agree that there are not enough electrical sockets in the rooms, the only ones I could find (apart from the two in the bathroom which were inconveniently positioned) were two by the door. Housekeeping left a lot to be desired, for a hotel that had only been open for nine days, I expected everything to be immaculate. However, I found black hairs on the side of the bath and on the toilet floor, plaster dust in the entrance hall, which was still there the day we left and dried in concrete/cement in the carpets! Being fully booked is no excuse for poor housekeeping! Just an aside, when we first got into the room we couldn’t find the safe which I was beginning to get angry about until I discovered it in the nightstand in the lower drawer!

FOOD – I can only comment on the buffet, Cafe Vettro and Jean Philippe’s patisserie as we didn’t dine anywhere else within the hotel. We used the buffet twice for brunch and found it more than satisfactory. Although not the Bellagio standards, there was more than enough choice to fill us up and keep us going until evening. Cafe Vettro is poor. They are trying to be more than they are and are trying to create upper class dining which isn’t working. In my opinion they should stick to what their name states and just serve cafe food instead of trying to be pretentious! Even in cheap and cheerful eateries, plates aren’t cleared until everyone has finished eating but here my husband’s plate was taken away before I was even half way through my meal– the height of bad manners and again this comes down to a training issue. The menu is limited, in fact there was only one thing on the whole menu that I wanted and I’m not a fussy eater so we could only eat there once! We were seated down a ramp overlooking the walkway to the Vdara and it was freezing cold, if they want to keep their customers they need to do something about the heating! Jean Philippe’s patisserie was to die for, I tried the ham and cheese croissant one morning, which was delicious, as was the cherry danish and the ice cream (gelato). Definitely worth a try. There needs to be a few more casual eating places within the City Center complex, saving you having to walk out onto the strip if you don’t want to pay $50 for a meal!

CASINO – I actually enjoyed playing the slots in the casino and found them quite ‘friendly’. I won $1000 in my first hour of playing there! The only thing I found was that considering all the reviews stating that smoke will be drawn down into filters at the base of slot machines, I went back to my room each night reeking of cigarette smoke! Even my husband who is a smoker, complained about the smell of stale cigarette smoke each morning in the casino and this is something I have never experienced in any other casino on the strip. The casino is definitely smaller than many others on the strip but because of this appears friendlier and it doesn’t take long to be able to find your way around. There was never a lack of cocktail waitresses asking if you needed a drink, although the strawberry daiquiri’s which we both became addicted to varied depending on who made them. Sometimes they were creamy and out of this world but at other times it was just like eating coloured ice, with no flavour!

SHOWS – We planned to use our Christmas money to book and see the Elvis show and it was money well spent. I’m not an Elvis fan but everyone recognises the music and we both loved it. No so much Cirque stuff as some of the other shows and a lot more singing and dancing but great fun and well put together. They are still previewing the show so expect a few basic errors but this is what previews are for and this is why you pay the discounted price. Definitely recommend it and we are now planning a trip to Graceland!

The whole City Center is not finished and from what I’ve heard they had to rush to open it so that they could begin making money and you can tell! There is no colour anywhere on the outside, just a lot of concrete and if that’s the way it’s going to stay then I’m not impressed! Aria is set a long way back from the strip and we found it was a lot quicker to nip out of the North Valet entrance, along to Vdara and up the walkway to Bellagio and was also quicker than waiting for the tram. The Crystals is nowhere near finished and my first impressions were ‘what a waste of space’! So overall, would I stay at Aria again? Yes, definitely, but will I? Probably not for a long time. If there weren’t so many other hotels in Vegas that I hadn’t stayed at then, yes, I’d definitely stay at Aria but I want to stay at Wynn, Encore, Bellagio, Venetian and Mandalay Bay so that will cover a few more years!!!

5  Thank SamCoventry