“Great Location, new hotel with ups & downs”

ARIA Resort & Casino
Ranked #14 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hamburg, Germany
“Great Location, new hotel with ups & downs”
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I stayed in the Aria on Independane Day Weekend this year with a friend. It was my fourth Las Vegas visit within 10 years, last stays included Monte Carlo, Bellagio and THE Hotel @ Mandalay Bay. All being MGM signatures. It was my first visit with no major construction on the strip going on, which was great in itself. One year ago, the new CityCenter had not even opened.

So here we are. First the basics:There are some things in LV casino resorts which - opposite to other revievers - don't freak me out any more:

a) long walkways (almost ever to cross the casinos) from self parking
(go with it, at least it is free - or use valet)
b) crowded check-ins in particular on weekends
(stay calm an relaxed, come past 3pm and earlier than 6pm)
c) Fancy and overpriced shopping & eating @ on site locations
(eat & shop elsewhere or invest in the buffets on site if one giant meal per day does it for you)
d) Clean rooms just on first view
(if you had some thousand room changes a day with messy guests - you clean could you be on a budget?)
e) Unorganized Front Desk, almost no personal touch
(new computer systems, loads of work, high number of staff -> nope, you cannot do much better on a budget, really)

---

I would take the said issues as given; still Aria has some special ups and downs from my point of view based on this weekend stay:

Downs:
1) I booked a room with "strip view" (=City View category) on a "high level" with "two queens" via a travel agency. None of that got transmitted to the hotel (which of course is NOT the hotels fault in any way). I got to 18th floor (50+ floors available) in a one king room with a partly view on the strip while mainly overseeing CityCenter entrance. View could be better but was fine, still I asked for a room change on the other issues which they promised to take care on "next day" due to overbooking. To make a long story short: See (e) - it never happened so we kept that room. No big fuzz on independence weekend. My point is: Just do not promise what you cannot hold! I do not like that.

2) The fancy in-room-giga-electronic-service-system is somewhat fancy but of no real use from my poit of view. It took more time to operate than it would help.

3) Pool hours & noise level: Pool hours is only 8am-8pm and the noise level by music is far too much

Ups:
4) Pool area design. Beside what I stated in (3), the pool area is really nice. There are three pools (a little shallow water) and many shadowy places to hide away from direct sun.

5) Rooms: Rooms are spacy and modern designed. Room cleaning was okay, maybe even better than what I experienced at the Monte Carlo (shabby), Bellagio (Broken Glass under bed and hairs in shower) or THE Hotel (moths through climate system). Strange: They have a somewhat combined shower/bath unit (hard to explain, look hotel website floor plan).

6) Location: Probably best you can have at the literal city center on the strip from my perspective.

---

All in all, I cannot give full points due to the "usual" stuff to experience in LV (see a-e). But anyway, if you get a good deal on the rooms it is really an upscale casino location in Las Vegas. I would definitely recommend. If you are looking for less people & noise, I recommend going to an no-gaming all-suite hotel like the Vdara on the CityCenter complex.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ölli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,326)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Visited Aria on 3 different days. Enjoyed the casino. We had good drink service, and good solid drinks served. One of the best selections of slot machines. Casino is logically laid out, all in one long curved rectangle (unlike other casinos that are a maze and chopped up into sections).

The casino has subdued lighting which is good. Lots of room.

On my first visit I thought the casino was smoke-free. Someone had told me the hotel was smoke-free and assumed all of it was. My first impression was great as a result. Finally casino management gets it right and keeps it smoke-free! (or so I thought). Went back again, and smokers sat next to me. Then the next night it was cigar fest in there - and it just stank like a filthy downtown casino. Very disappointed. For a development that took such strides to meet LEEDS certification, one would think they were conscious about the environment, both macro and micro.

The hotel exterior at night is impressive with the lighting. Water-wall sculpture equally impressive. The "Sweet Chill" pink dessert diner is very cool - but beyond that the hotel has minimal attraction.

The Crystals has a great exterior and a retro-70's modern stark interior that you'll love or dislike. But it's the same old boring collection of high-end stores that every other hotel has. Zzzzzz... And just like those same stores at Bellagio or Wynn, they're empty of customers, while Miracle Mile shops are packed. How many Louis Vuitton stores does a 5 block strip need?

It's a pain to walk along the west sidewalk of Las Vegas Blvd as you are forced to walk through the Crystals to get through to the next section of sidewalk.

Aria management (if you read this): You've an attractive new space, why not make part of your casino non-smoking at set a new high standard for casinos! There's no need to allow smoke everywhere. Those same people who say they have to light up a cigarette every 10 minutes while playing had no problem going 3 hours without a cigarette while on their flight to Vegas. And they can simply walk outside if they need to. There's far more of us that would patronize your casino than those that you would lose (smokers are only 19% of the population!).

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Langley, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2010

This hotel is not a 5 star hotel. Upon our arrival the check in was quick and easy. Our room was nice but nothing special for a 5 star rated hotel. We found a sock in our bed the first night and told the lady at the front desk who seemed to not care. The toilet would not stop flushing the next day so we phoned the front desk and was placed on hold for 15 minutes. They fixed the toilet. Also they was a stain on the toilet seat which did not look to pleasent. At check out the line was huge and took about 30 min to check out. Over all a not bad 3.5 to 4 star hotel. staff needs to be more friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank carey44
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2010

We arrived on July 1st with a speedy check-in by a very friendly and helpful employee. The room was very clean with a very comfortable bed. We were given a complimentary gift (chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate covered macaroons) as a gift for our stay and marriage taking place here in Vegas. The staff on our floor was always very friendly and courteous to us, and let us know if we needed anything to let the front desk know and someone would be right up. Our room was serviced daily. This was one of the best hotels we have been to, we would definetly come back and recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Bluffton SC
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Went to vegas with husband and another couple. I had suggested the Aria because it was new and looked great. We upgraded to a mini suite - not worth the money -- there is not a TV in the bed room, only in the bathroom and sitting room. We had problems with the lights --- only had 1 accent light that worked in the bedroom. And the lite bulb went out in the water closet the first day. It took 3 days to fix the lights -- even though the housekeeper had asked for someone to fix these on our second day. When it wasn't fixed after 24hrs I asked to speak to a manager and was told no one was available. The next day when it still wasn't fixed I went down and did speak to a manager who said she would have some fix the lights but could answer how long that would take as it depended where I was in queue. Really after 2 days I would hope I would be at the top of the queue. She did get it fixed that evening. She offered to comp our room upgrade but at checkout I had to remind them of that and they adjusted the bill.
The hotel itself is lovely -- modern and edgy. The casino was fine. We ate at the pub and it was good pub food. We really enjoyed the Breeze cafe for breakfast but found it a little pricey - $60 for 2.
Pools are nice but very crowded on a weekend. during the week, lots of chairs available.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank Sweet10
Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I just read the previous bad reviews and it was like deja vu! The hotel does not offer shuttle service to the airport, so we had to get our own. They drop you off in an underground garage and since you don't know any better, you decide to walk to the front desk. Well, bring your pedometer- it took forever! I thought I was going to have a heart attack carrying 2 heavy bags (I'm only 5'2", 120#). Check-in was a mob scene, but ok. Then, it was another long haul to my room. Good luck getting into your room- there's no slot for the room key and after standing there for 5 minutes in a sweat with all my luggage, I finally figured out that you have to "wave" the key in front of the door in order for it to open (could they have told me that at check-in?) Once in the room, it was dirty with carpet stains, smudges on the window, and long black hair in the bathroom (mine's brown). It also looked like there were blood stains on the tile, but it turned out to be part of the natural tile- bad choice. The room is a "smart room" where everything is connected to a "central control panel" on the TV, including the lights, alarms, curtains, etc. Another thing they should have explained. There are only 2 outlet on the desk for chargers- not enough for a business traveler. The other 2 are by the front door (not convenient) and in the bathroom. Food was RIDICULOUSLY expensive- I paid $25 for a cheesesteak. There are NO vending machines on the floors, just ice, and there are NO coffemakers in the rooms. Also, internet service is NOT free- $15/day. Not happy. Good luck going to bed early, they flood the windows with spotlights at night- no match for the curtains. My boss also got food poisoning one night. To go anywhere in this hotel is a long haul. Also the decor is cold and modern. The staff are very unfriendly. The service stinks- we went to a hotel restaurant one night and they made us wait to be seated even thought the place was empty. Another annoying thing is that security stops pretty much everyone at the elevator and asks to see your room key. I guess that's good, but annoying when your arms are full of shopping bags. Why don't they just require a key to get on the elevator?? One good thing I discovered was the gift shop downstairs. Way, way in the back is "cheap" food with $3 bottles of water and snacks. Another gold mine is if you go out the doors by the Coffee Bean cafe towards the Mirage (a relatively short walk) there is a food court with Starbucks, Subway, Sbarro, and McD's! Woo-Hoo! I was in heaven. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. The only positive was the comfy mattress and the quiet at night.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Born2BeRed2
MD
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Yes hotel is new ok. service was the worst ever.we were there a week our room was serviced twice & very poorly.I stay at Bellagio once or twice a year never a problem.I only ate at the hotel & that was 2 meals because by then I had food poisoning.My whole vacation was spent in my room mostly in bed. From first day checked in went to room it had not been cleaned at all,called desk waited 15 mins.then put on hold 5 more,sent to new room key did't work,tracked down a maintenance worker he went in room called front desk we sat in hallway no one came I called manager (very young lady was hotel manager ? huh } finally in room bed was made everything else dirty.Rooms are small for vegas calling for service was useless.my husband cleaned.Went to casino top of slot machines filthy where you place your hands.We had to buy more anti-b cloths.they did not have a gift /necessities type store you have to walk to cvs.After 30 hours there I was sick,very sick.Husband called for doctor said they would find one didn't call back.Small water from mini bar was 5.00 I needed a few before he could get medicine & water etc. at cvs.Called front desk after 2 days to get room disinfected.Ha Ha good luck.No one really cared.Husband asked about if people reported illness front desk said no. He asked several workers on his way to cvs & they said yes.I will never stay there again.Ten years going to vegas have never been sick .Oh yeah the food that made me sick was crummy room service food. quality was less than fast food.The chicken looked like mystery meat I wish I had not eaten any.Also the monte carlo is connected & people were pan handling in the food court! Employees were ignoring them.By the way Wi-Fi is not FREE it is 15.00 a day.Enjoy your stay

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple