“Hotel is Far From a Five Star”

ARIA Resort & Casino
Ranked #14 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Hotel is Far From a Five Star”
Reviewed 31 October 2010

We stayed at the Aria for two nights after spending 11/2 weeks in the National Parks. We booked the hotel in July (got a very good rate on their website for deluxe room).
We were so looking forward to spending time in Las Vegas and at the Aria.
The weather was bad at Bryce and we decided to come into Vegas a day earlier. We called the Aria Front Desk who at first seemed taken aback that we called them directly and not central reservations number. They then proceeded to say rooms were available but they would be unable to negotiate a rate with us that was anywhere near comparable what we were paying for the two nights already reserved. We decided to just book a room at another hotel and go to the Aria the following day.
We checked tripadvisor reviews and booked a room through expedia for the Ballys Hotel. We arrived at Ballys in the late afternoon and checkin was swift and pleasant. Room was large, clean, nonsmoking as requested and on a reasonably high floor. Hotel is not new but well maintained and service is prompt and courteous. They are adjacent to the Paris Hotel. Very centrally located. Bellagio is across the street and Aria is also close by.
We had breakfast the next morning and drove to the Aria with plan to just pre checkin and leave our luggage until a room was ready. I was given baggage claim check and told to go to pre-checkin.
Lines at checkin are extremely long and SLOW at the Aria. When my turn finally came I was told that she couldn't register us as it was my husbands name only on the reservation ( I booked deluxe room for two and provide both names to reservations agent). She then said okay she would take my information and my husband needed to come back with me with his photo ID when we came back.
We went to see the Hoover Dam and as promised the Aria did call in mid afternoon to say the room was ready.
We got backt to the Aria close to dinner time. We checked in and called for our bags. Unlike other reviews the bags did come in a very reasonable time. We were WOWED by the beauty of the room and all the modern amenities,electronics,etc. I was taking pictures/videos of the room just to post online. That was when I discovered that the free wifi internet didn't exist and they wanted a daily charge for this.
When I booked the room , I particularly was interested in the Aria as it posted a "no resort fee" and when I reserved the room was told that wifi would be included in the room charge. When I went down to the dest to query this I was told that "this won't be consolation to you but like the other Vegas hotels we are going to a resort fee in November".
Decided not to make a big deal out of this and went to dinner at Lemongrass. We had an excellent meal (service was also very good) and then went to explore the Vegas strip.
We got back to the room very late and that was when we learned a valuable lesson. If sleep is of any concern to you on a vacation before you are smitten by the beauty of a place take the time to check out the bed or whatever is most important to you.
The bed is "pillowtop" but were clearly not replaced since the hotel opened. What made it worse was the boxframe it was on was totally shot and needed to be replaced. We struggled to find a spot that we would not sink to the bottom or the middle and finally just slept on the floor. Yes I did just say that and between my husband and myself we have travelled all over the world for business and/or pleasure and never had to do this.
My husband went to the front desk in the morning and was told they would need to have housekeeping check out the bed. He said this was unaccesptable. Without any apology or offer of compensation they offered to show him another room with king bed (he requested that they show him a room with two queens thinking that we'd have a better chance of at least one good bed). They said the room with two queens would be an additional $30 charge. We were told to wait outside a room for security to show us the room and "try" the bed.. I think we waited at least 30 minutes or more for security. The second room was pretty much the same as the original but the bed was marginally better and for one more night I just wanted to settle in and enjoy the rest of my time in Vegas. I had left the privacy light (everything in this hotel is electronic) on when I left our first room as all our belongings were still in it. We came back to the room to call for a bellhop to move our bags only to find the room ajar and two men in the room switching the mattress. I am still clueless why they didn't offer to do this in the first place. They then looked at the box spring and said maybe they needed to put some plywood between the mattress and boxspring!! I know this can be done but in a 10 month old five star hotel????
We went out to enjoy our last day/evening in Vegas and pretty much spent the rest of our time anywhere but the Aria. Came back at the end of the evening only to find that the bulbs in the lamps by the bed needed to be replaced. Called housekeeping twice before someone came up and then he looked at me and said "did you try everything to see if they worked". Yes the remotes worked and the bulb needed to be replaced.
We didn't bother to call for a bellman on checkout and just took our bags to the parking lot ourselves. Checkout was not long but not once was an apology for our inconvenience even expressed by any of the staff.
If Vegas is on your list of places to go to please realize that there are so many hotels to choose from that please read reviews carefully before you choose hotel. Look beyond the surface as some of the older hotels in this tight economy may actually be providing better hospitality and services (Ballys did give us a book with several discount coupons).
The Aria and City Center are well located and the hotel is beautfiul and modern but they need to make serious changes in how the hotel is managed.
We have just gotten back from vacation but do plan on writing also to Aria and MGM management re our experience which I see from other recent reviews is unfortunately not uncommon.

2 Thank KenNewYork

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,327)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cumbria
Reviewed 31 October 2010

The hotel is in a wonderful location for exploring Vegas. The hotel is very modern and the staff go the extra mile to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

Canada
Reviewed 31 October 2010

We stayed here on holiday for 4 days. The rooms are designed for gadget freaks like me, so I loved the automation -- you can flip one switch and turn everything on or off as you enter or leave. I also loved being able to set an alarm that opened the curtains, turned on the TV and the lists. Very cool. We had only one time when the curtains wouldn't open, but a couple of tries later they did.

I loved that there was no line up when we checked in -- I absolutely hate when arriving on a long flight and having to stand in line for a long time to check in.

For the most part we ate at the buffet when we ate in the hotel, mostly for the selection. Like most buffets, the food is about average, but I did enjoy the fact that there was a huge selection and most of the food was not heavily processed junk. We could get real vegetables, real fruit, etc.

There was a small line up (3 minute wait) when we checked out, but we were offered to just leave an e-mail address and have our bill sent to us. We opted out of that, but it was nice that they offered.

We didn't get a lot of time to spend by the pool. However, the pool area small compared to some of the more popular casinos. It probably wouldn't have mattered much to us, but it could if you are used to the gigantic areas like at the Luxor.

The casino staff were pleasant, but the drink hostesses rarely came by and when they did it was often 30 minutes before they returned with a drink, if they did at all. We tip these ladies well and it still didn't really do us any good. Most of the time I just want water or club soda, but that was hard to come by.

The only negative part of our stay was the ODOR near the spa. I can't call it perfume or scent. This smell was gag-inducing horrible, overpowering and rank. Even walking by the hallway to the hallway to the spa was a "hold your breath and walk quickly" experience. This is something that definitely needs to be fixed. I would never book a spa appointment due to the...stink.

If we can get a a deal, we'll be back.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 October 2010

The staff is nice but the service is disorganized, from check-in to check-out. The overpriced spa is TERRIBLE at 4pm; I've never waited so long in line to check in for a massage I'd booked a month in advance, and it felt like I was being herded into the waiting room, where there were barely enough seats. The spa's therapy rooms were a claustrophobe's nightmare...always crowded, no space. Not soothing in the least. On the last day, we were given a late check-out but then they locked us out of our room. It took security about 30 minutes to finally open our door. I did like the the fact that few people smoked in the hotel, and the views and bathrooms very were nice, but other than that, it's nothing special.

2 Thank MariellaPennsylvania
UK
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Stayed at the Aria for one week in October with my husband and family. On arriving at the hotel at 10pm after a long journey there was nobody to greet us or help with our baggage. We queued at check-in and were told that there were no non-smoking rooms available and no King bed rooms available so we would have to stay in a smoking room with 2 queen beds and ask to change room the following day. We asked if they could just sort out the room change for us the following day but they said no. So at 9am the next morning we approached reception who said they wouldn't know what rooms were available until later on. My husband complained about the inconvenience of this and at first was getting nowhere but spoke to the supervisor who said that she's put $60 of credit on our room account for the inconvenience. It took a further 2 visits to reception and 2 phone calls until we finally got moved into the correct room at 5pm the following day. This spoilt the first day of our holiday. The concierge gave us the wrong directions to a restaurant we were looking for. It turned out that the $60 credit wasn't added to one of our rooms so we had to request this again as well.

On a positive note, the hotel is beautiful and the location is perfect. The rooms are lovely and we've never slept in such a comfy bed and the breakfast buffet is fab and very reasonable during the week. We felt the hotel lacked a bit of atmosphere compared to some of the other major hotels. All in all a great hotel which is totally let down by its customer service.

2 Thank scottishlass8
Montreal
Reviewed 30 October 2010

My boyfriend and I spent a week at his hotel and we couldn't have picked a better hotel for the price. There is nothing to can complain about. The hotel is located a bit off the Strip but it is still right in the middle of all the action with just a short walk before being on the Strip. The hotel check-in was quick even though we arrived at a major rush hour. They made sure to add more employees to accomodate as many people as possible.
We asked to have the highest floor available and we were given the 17th floor which gave us an incredible city view. The room was far from the elevators but it didn't bother us at all. The rooms are a decent size and the layout is well designed. I had read reviews of people complaining about the electronic room control but we can't complain about that. The bed was incredibly comfortable and it was hard getting out of bed every day. For the food we ordered room service twice and we were pretty surprised by how good the food was. The only other restaurant we tried at the hotel was Cafe Vettro and we enjoyed several meals there for both breakfast and lunch.
Overall, we were very pleased and if I had to go there again I would pick this place over others on the strip.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Beds UK
Reviewed 30 October 2010

We had a great week at the Aira. Checkin was no problem. We choose a smoking room which seemed like we were the first to stay in it. The rooms were spacious, beds very comfy and the view was over the pools. Everything is controlled from the touch screen clock beside the bed. We loved the casino. There was a buzz about this casino compared to the others (Maybe cos it's new and everyone was in ours) The dealers seemed more talkative here and drinks come quick. Round the pool things about a bit steep but what do you except from a nice new hotel. Theres a shop just on the strip so you can stock up on water and snacks for the room too. We have stayed at the Bellagio and Planet Hollywood but this is were we would return. Great spot!!!