“Are Vegas motels really this sleazy?”

Longhorn Boulder Highway
Longhorn Boulder Highway
Ranked #197 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Maryland
“Are Vegas motels really this sleazy?”
Reviewed 5 January 2008

I arrived without a room on the evening of Dec 30th. I've had good experiences at Super 8s elsewhere in the country, so I thought I'd try this one. As others have noted, the odor of cigarette smoke slams you as soon as you enter the lobby. It persists in the elevator and hallways as well (even on the fourth floor). The room was $116, the most I've ever paid in my life. While the room was okay, everything worked, etc., the hotel itself can only be characterized as sleazy. Not just the odors, but the general disorder of the public areas, the couple having very loud sex in the room immediately off the elevator, the battered room doors (yes, it looks like every one had been kicked angrily). I actually feared I'd come across used needles or condoms. To top it off, there was no breakfast the next morning. All this for over $100. Perhaps this is all just Vegas, but I don't plan to ever return to find out.

• Stayed December 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank parkfan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Hebrew first
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 17 April 2007

We booked the hotel on-line thinking it would be like a regular Super 8 but it was awful.
Lobby smelled like smoke - elevator shabby with a warning sign to stay away from the door as the door can open unexpectedly. A prostitute approached my husband in the elevator.
'Continental' breakfast consisted of a few bottles of juice, some cereal and milk.
Our room had broken furniture. Sheets and carpet were stained. TV was teeny tiny and had no remote (we later found it behind the nightstand amongst dust bunnies and a collection of dirt and grime).
That night, we took the kids out to the pool. Some guy attempted to lure our teenage children to his room (couldn't see us where we were sitting). A hot dog was floating in the swimming pool.
And icing on the cake was when my husband found someone's ID stuffed amongst the hotel brochures. What happened to him - who knows - maybe he was one of the stains on the carpet.
A total and complete hole. Super 8 should be ashamed to have their name attached to this hotel. yuck!!!

• Liked — Staff was friendly
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, location
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
7 Thank holidayroadSask

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Northern Virginia
Reviewed 29 May 2006

I would never stay here by choice if I were looking for a vacation room (to give you an idea of my lodging tastes, I often prefer places such as Springhill Suites or Hilton Garden Inn for nice accomodations at a good value, and on occasion stay at very upscale hotels if a value rate can be found (Royal Palms, etc.)), but this Super 8 served our purpose on a return from a backpacking trip in Utah before a 6:45 am flight out of Las Vegas. Bear in mind as you read this, we were three guys who had been sleeping on the ground in canyons for four nights -- I would not consider this hotel at all if I were with my family.

As it was Memorial Day, this was the only place we could find to stay, without spending a fortune for very last available suites and rooms at a few nice places. We paid $100, a bargain compared to other quoted prices. The front desk staff was courteous enough. Our room was on the first floor located about 6-7 doors away from the lobby and their run down, depressing casino. The smell of mildew and must will hit you as you walk the hall, but our room actually did not smell much of mildew (some cigarette smoke came in at times - I hate smoke, but it was bearable, if that gives any insight to the amount coming in). To the eye, the room was visibly clean, as were the towels. Don't know about the comforter, as I pulled it off the bed (doubt they ever clean those), but the sheets appeared to be clean (slept in long pants and socks, nonetheless, to be on the safe side). Toilet had a flush problem, but we quickly fixed it oursevles by tinkering with the flush rod. Shower was clean, but a portion of wall in shower looked damaged. The room had no alarm clock, but they provided a wake up call on our request. TV worked fine, but remote was broken. Pull rod on curtain was broken. Several people appeared to be enjoying the small pool in the front of the hotel. Didn't feel safe enough to keep anything in the car, but don't know that I would anywhere in Vegas. On the other hand, if it gives you a bit more of an idea about the place, I did in fact wonder aloud whether it would be safer to leave our stuff in the car or the room as we left to hit The Strip for a few hours -- but I felt it was okay to leave it in the room and we had no problem at all.

This Super 8 is in what appeared to be an okay part of town, very near to Sam's Town Casino on Boulder Highway on the east side of town just north of Henderson. We were only 10-15 min. from the airport, with only two turns to get there. Likewise, only about 15 min from The Strip (not including the 10 min for the last block, which we would have encountered coming from any lodging off The Strip.

All in all, this is certainly a dump and you should look elsewhere if you have choices, but we needed a shower and a bed for a few hours and had few options, and this worked out well enough for us.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank obxforus
chicago, IL
Reviewed 12 March 2006

Because NASCAR was in town, I could only locate a room with this motel on Boulder Highway in Las Vegas, NV. The low price wasn't worth the stay. The lobby was connected to a small casino with total rif-raft. It smelt of cigarettes and bad liquor. Had trouble checking in because the front desk required a $100 deposit if you paid cash. She told me that people as a rule will trash the room! Because I had a early morning flight, she finally relented and allowed me to stay with no deposit (I was her day off when I left anyways). The hallway was totally unkept. The door to my room was obviously kicked in before. The rooms had no alarm clocks, no ironing board/iron, and no other ammenities. I wore my socks to aviod touching the carpet or floor of the bathroom. The bed was clean because I took it apart to ensure it wasn't dirty. Towels were also clean.

In all this place is not worth the low price they charged.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank bjaysfan21
Vilseck
Reviewed 28 February 2006

This was the most horrible hotel I've ever been in. Whole lobby and first floor smelled of cigarette smoke. Room was old, run down and moldy and musty smelling. Curtains were falling off the rod, A/C unit was damaged, bathtub wall was cracked and filled with dirt. Asked for another room which smelled so bad of mold and mildew it hit you when you opened the door. Left that night, didn't stay.

• Stayed February 2006
6 Thank relativelyirish
Rosamond, California
Reviewed 7 June 2005

This Super 8 was run down compared to other super 8's we stayed at. The room was repainted however, there was paint splatters on the ceiling, the bathroom door knob was hanging loose, there was a tear and cigarette burns on the comforter, there were three flimsy pillows and we had to bunch them together to be comfortable and the tv stand squeaked when we walked near it. The hallway smelled like smoke and the elevator was poorly maintained.

• Stayed June 2005
10 Thank Hylianknight
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 January 2005

Not the classiest place in the world but it was quiet--no screaming kids or fighting couples waking you up in the middle of the night. Price was great and they have a nice little restaurant. Have gone a few times and never had any problems.

Not close to the strip but close to 3-4 casinos on Boulder Highway.

Definitely a good economy hotel.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member