“Basic clean & comfortable but walls thin”

Texas Station Gambling Hall and Hotel
Ranked #154 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Valley Center, California
“Basic clean & comfortable but walls thin”
Reviewed 1 December 2010

We stayed at an excellent group rate for a soccer tournament. Several people in our group changed their reservations to arrive a day later; somehow the communication went awry and when they didn't show up for the original scheduled date, the hotel gave away their rooms AND charged them for one night's stay. Since we were working through a third party travel agent I don't know whose fault that was.

Our stay was no problem, the room was a well-disguised basic room, clean & comfortable. I'll give the room a few extra points for crown moulding and nice wallpaper in the bathroom. The shower was almost a light sprinkle, and when flushing the toilet it sounded like an explosion so there could be no discreet middle-of-the-night potty visit. Earlier in the day when we didn't want to take the elevator we asked a couple employees plus got on the house phone but nobody seemed to know where the stairs were. (Wouldn't that be important in a fire?) It turned out the stairs were right next to our room at the end of the hall. The walls were fairly thin and we could hear people walking up & down the metal stairs and also voices in the room next door/above/below. Fortunately we didn't have noisy neighbors or we might have had a hard time sleeping. We also had to go through a couple employees to find out where the "cardio room" (exercise facility) was. It was nowhere near the pool, and consisted of a small room with 2 treadmills, an elliptical and one exercise bike. They did charge a resort fee that included the "free" high speed wireless internet, which was discounted for the group rate. However, on the first night, only my computer could successfully access the internet wirelessly while my daughter's could not, and the next two days neither of us could but it worked if we plugged it in, and the cord was included in the room.

We had four people in our room and they didn't give us enough towels, but the maids were readily available, very friendly & accommodating. If you go online, you can get a free "boarding pass" that will get you discounted meals at the buffet, which was decent. There was more food than you would ever need at both the dinner and breakfast buffets; it was typical good buffet food. The Italian restaurant, San Lorenzo, however, was excellent in both food and service. There was plenty of parking, safe, covered and pretty close to the front door, although there was no way to pull up the the door to unload luggage. The hotel location is several miles north of the strip, which was fine for us because we all had cars and the soccer tournament was our main activity.

I liked the fact that the restaurants, movie theatre, bowling alley, Starbucks, etc, were a short walk from the elevator. In other hotels it's almost a day hike to get to the other side of the hotel. If you want the total Las Vegas experience you'd be better off paying more and staying on the strip, but overall this was an excellent value to eat & sleep but still a close drive to all the attractions.

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank itropicbird

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Stayed at Tx Station for 4 nights - mainly to bet on sports, hit the table games, and play video poker.

Good Points:
1. It has a lot to offer... tons of slots, video poker machines. Plenty of black jack, craps, pai gow, let it ride, 3 card poker, etc... at low stakes $3, $5, $10 tables. Movie theater, large food court, steakhouse, sushi bar, great buffet. It has a large bingo hall and bowling alley.
2. The sports book is one of the best in town. The sports book is busy but not packed. Plenty of comfortable seating and a large number of screens. I never left the hotel/casino for 3 days. Didn't need to. It had everything.
3. Generous player points even on sports betting.

**** THE BEST POINT - the staff is friendly. Everyone you spoke to, at the bars, tables, front desk, restaurants, they were nice to you. I have stayed at over half a dozen hotels on the strip, there is no comparison in the way you are treated. Texas Station is orders of magnitude better than the strip in this aspect.

Bad Points:
1. Taxi cabs - not many available. Usually you have to call (use hotel phone near front desk) and wait 20-30 min for cab to arrive. If you rent a car its perfect for you with a large (free) parking garage available.
2. Rooms were what you would expect for $40/night. They were OK. Of course they don't compare to Bellagio but they were better than Circus or Binions by a long shot. They reminded me of a Comfort Inn.

I've noticed a few reviewers comment they did not know about the $14/night fee thats added onto to your room bill. Many said it was a surprise. Its clearly indicated on their website and on most travel sites when you book the room. My room was only $23+14 = $37/night + tax. You still got a great deal, even with the $14 service fee. Well worth the money.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rinate
Seaside
Reviewed 16 October 2010

I booked for a business visit a room at the Texas Station with Priceline. At the day of arrival it tooked 15 minutes to find the reservation - I carried the paper work with me and showed it - and they charged an $14.95 service fee to cover the free wireless internet, the free local calls, the free safe and much more of the free stuff. A total rip off. The restaurant chrge 8.99 for a 3.99 Mac Donalds salad, but the Mac Donalds Salads are better. The wireless did not work and they could not fix it. DON'T STAY HERE. BOOK A DIFFERENT HOTEL IF YOU CAN.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank SeasideForus

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We had to travel for family business, and this was in a great location for us. The staff was extremely friendly and responsive to our needs and requests.

The beds were very comfortable, and the rooms are spacious. Only complaint is there are some cosmetic touch ups that are needed. Our bathroom door was split but still functioning, and the finish on the headboard was cracked. But we got a rate of $29 per night and thought it was well worth it.

Security is great, and we felt very safe. Facilities are nice with a lot to offer, and it's nice to be away from the hustle and bustle of the strip. We plan to stay here again when we return.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank modernscarlett
Euless, Texas
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I have just returned home from the Texas Station in LV and I really enjoyed my stay there. The rooms were clean, well managed and the staff was courteous and helpful. I had one problem with the air conditioning on my third day but the maintenance staff replaced the whole unit within 20 minutes of my contacting the front desk.
The location is not the best but it is central to Mt. Charleston and Red Rock.
Over all I would say Texas Station is a great value for anyone tired of staying on the strip.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank EricJ2
Langston, Oklahoma
Reviewed 8 June 2010

cool place lots of food places, a theater, adult beverages are free while you spend your money anyways.

Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank HaruW
north hollywood, ca
Reviewed 25 April 2010

I got to the hotel late Friday and said I was checking in. The front desk person checked her computer and said there was no reservation in my name. I asked how this could be as the person who booked my room said that I could only book with a credit card, which I did. So somehow! even though the front desk person said there was o reservation, she had all my information, name, address & phone number. So I took a room and paid the entire bill up front, and then she said now I have to have a $100 deposit for the room. Why, I asked her, I just paid in full!!!! She said "oh this is routine. We get a deposit from everyone. Ummm I have traveled a lot, five times to Europe, many trips to the Caribbean, numerous places in the states, and NEVER WAS ASKED FOR A DEPOSIT, AFTER PAYONG THE BILL IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!! My non-smoking room did have a faint smoky smell, but was otherwise adequate. There is no shuttle from the airport, so be prepared to spend $ 40-50 for a cab. The meter turns over very quickly and often.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo