“Timeshare not hotel.....but good place”
Review of The Carriage House

The Carriage House
Ranked #20 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Clean property close to the Vegas Strip. Nice having a mini kitchen to just eat a bowl of cereal when we wanted. Didn't meet a bad employee. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank glennil
Write a ReviewReviews (1,417)

Reviewed 4 February 2012

My wife was invited to give a lecture at the University of Nevada here in Las Vegas, and we went searching for a place to stay that was not in a casino setting but would be close to the Strip so that we could walk around and play tourist.

Carriage House turned out to be a great option. We reserved a nonsmoking room and were pleasantly surprised. The room is clean and pretty nice, with a small kitchenette, two-burner range, small refrigerator, a nice flat-screen tv, free wireless internet, and an in-room safe. The hotel is quiet, and just a half-block from the Strip.

The hotel has only two elevators, but we didn't ever face a long wait.

The Miracle Mile Shops across the street have all the restaurants we needed, as well as an ABC Store to buy wine and snacks.

If you're not into the casino scene, or craving lots of hotel amenities, this is a good, solid choice.

Room Tip: Our room was a little dark, as this side of the hotel (facing away from the Strip--would that be the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank iLind
Reviewed 30 January 2012

After reading the tripadvisor reviews, we requested a newly rennovated room and got one. On arrival at the hotel, the receptionist was very helpful, giving us maps to the strip, downtown and the bus routes, wifi codes for the three devices we had - nothing seemed too much trouble.

The room was very tastefully decorated and a very comfortable environment. More than that, the hotel is fantastically located just opposite the Planet Hollywood resort. Given the price we paid for this hotel, the quality and location were superb and we would definitely seek to go to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Facing the strip is quieter than the back, as mentioned by other reviewers. But it didn't keep u...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ElGales
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We traded a timeshare and stayed at the Carriage House based upon the numerous good reviews on Tripadvisor. We were definitely pleased with this decision.

Our room was large, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was small while the kitchen was overly large (I would've changed this in the design) but otherwise it was a great place to spend a week in Vegas.

The staff was friendly and helpful at all times

The location is fantastic. Easy walk to the heart of the strip.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Buttsman
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Not me. I can't believe that I haven't reviewed this hotel. This recent trip is my second time staying here. The first time I stayed here, they gave me a loft type set up where the bed was separated from the kitchen by a seating area. This time, they gave me a larger corner unit where the bedroom has its own door and is completely separated from the kitchen. The unit was clean and spacious...I can't think of any complaints except for the fact that the wifi was slow. I was on the 7th floor, though. The hotel does have nice amenities: like a market area downstairs (convenient if you don't want to walk to CVS or Walgreens), a gym (though limited b/c there are only a few machines), a whirlpool, swimming pool, and tennis court (I did not try these out). There was also a computer area downstairs where you can print out your boarding pass for free. Anyways, I think Carriage House's best attribute is its location. It's less than a block from Las Vegas Blvd, the Strip. I've never stayed at one of the Strip Casino hotels, but being the type of traveller I am, The Carriage House is enough for me. O, a few more things: the kitchen has a toaster and coffee maker...also full sized fridge, 2 burner stovetop, and dishwasher...no oven....salt and pepper are provided. Toiletries include crest toothpaste and bath and body work shampoo, conditioner, and soap.

Room Tip: If you want stronger WiFi, you may have to request a room closer to the router.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank lilorchid82
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I'm inclined to think that someone looking for reviews of Carriage House pretty much knows what he or she wants while visiting Las Vegas. I mean, come on, you have the entire LV strip to choose from, full of hotel rooms that range from Circus Circus to Mandarin Oriental. Yet, you keep coming back. You weigh the price with the amenities, you think about the dreaded parking at mega resorts, the atrocious resort fees, and the long walks back to your hotel room. Perhaps you're a seasoned Vegas visitor, or it may be your first time and you're smart enough to get the most from your dollar.

Regardless of your situation, the Carriage House serves the needs of smart travelers. Snuggled in a small lot between the Signature MGM Grand and the Marriott Grand Chateau on Harmon Blvd. east of the strip, the Carriage House is a diamond in the rough. It doesn't look like much from the outside, and you'll probably miss the entrance the first time you visit, but a similarly equipped room at any CET or MGM property would easily cost three times as much.

You can read the other reviews to find out about the details. I like to list the pros/cons that others miss.

Pros:
- At check-in, you are given the option to disable pay-per-view billing. Seriously, how common sense is this? This is the first time I've actually seen a hotel give you the option to SAVE money.
- I was given an entry into a $50 drawing when I checked in. I didn't win, but if I did it would have been nice.
- The WiFi is FREE and is FAST (youtube friendly). (but, see below)

Cons:
- No deadbolt on the door. This isn't a huge deal since the hotel is very secure, but I'm just so used to it that I tend to ding any hotel that doesn't have these.
- The WiFI, while fast, also employs a really absurd content firewall. I'm an avid target shooter and frequent various forums about such, and these sites were all blocked the day after I visited them on the Carriage House WiFI.
- The room's AC/Heating system is central (not a unit mounted in the outside wall), but is quite loud. The reason this is an issue is, if you're watching television, you'll naturally want to turn up the volume. Since you are in a hotel with rooms that share walls, this tends to cause a chain reaction of noise complaints and whatnot.

Overall, this is a great choice for the self-reliant, money-saving traveler. I have always been curious about this hotel and I'm pleased to say it has met most all of my expectations.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Reddy45
Reviewed 21 January 2012

This hotel provides a great experience. We had a very pleasant check-in experience, including restaurant recommendations, and a personal greeting. The hotel has a well-stocked mini-store to help one prepare some basic meals using the complete kitchen provided in the 1 BR unit. The room itself was very nicely decorated, and looking sparkling new. Coffee was provided, and daily maid service is included for changing towels and sheets, as desired. I was given a customized login code to use the free wireless internet which worked flawlessly. There was a flat screen tv. The living room area had a sectional sofa that included a lounge section nice for rested tired legs. The bedroom had an exceptionally nice i-home alarm clock that included an ipod docking station. The elevators were quick and I was happy to see a laundry room with self service washer and dryer.

The location can't be beat...a 2 minute walk to the strip, near Planet Hollywood and the Miracle Mile shops, yet delightfully quiet on an off-the-strip location.

Good looking swimming pool and tennis courts were available by the covered self-parking lot.

Only potential improvement I could think of would be to have stronger lighting, either overhead or more lamps. But then, who goes to Las Vegas to read a book???

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and were pleased to get one!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family