“No frills budget hotel near The Strip”

Shalimar Hotel of Las Vegas
Ranked #190 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stumbled upon a great deal at this hotel for the long weekend when everything else on/near The Strip was too pricey.

Checking in process was smooth, took less than five minutes and manager at the front desk was very friendly and an upfront guy. We told him our sensitivity to bed bugs and issues we have had at other budget hotels in the past. He was reassuring that nothing like that would happen here and he was right.

We had requested for a non-smoking room and luckily we got one. With the room being located at Level 1 and parking spots right outside we were concerned about the noise that might disturb our sleep at night but thankfully that did not happen. Room in general was spacious, had a safe, iron & ironing board and a coffee maker. Hygiene itself wasn't great - carpet was old and sticky (not something you want to step on barefoot), corners in bathroom still had few hair stuck in them, flush was continuously running, but thankfully with no bugs in the room, I can live with the rest of the stuff (after all, its just a weekend!). Décor of the room is nothing fancy but typical of a budget hotel; bed seemed a little old as I could feel the springs in the mattress, nevertheless, it was comfortable to sleep on.

Location is not the best, a little sketchy but only a little over a mile from The Strip. There is plenty of free parking and free Wi-Fi on property. The hotel also has a pool, a wedding chapel, a laundry room, a vending machine and a café. There are a few grab-n-go type eating places and a gas station nearby.

All in all, a decent budget hotel near the Strip, not something fancy but just a place to stay and sleep at night after you have charmed yourself with other attractions in Las Vegas.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not located facing the main road to avoid any noise at night. The road outside...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Howard J, General Manager at Shalimar Hotel of Las Vegas, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to review our property! I'm very happy to hear that our property provided the accommodations you required during your trip to Las Vegas. We will be taking extra measures to assure that housekeeping does not overlook the details you have informed to us. Your response is very important to me as is provides us with the information needed continue improving our property.

There are newer reviews for Shalimar Hotel of Las Vegas

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was surprised by how "nice" the hotel looked in the lobby, for the price I thought it was going to be a real dump. The room itself was okay, not very clean and very bare bones, not even an alarm clock. The plugs were odd and nothing stayed in them correctly. Thankfully I brought Clorox wipes and Lysol. There were no liens in the bathroom or extra toilet paper, but when I asked at the desk I was given them right away. The real problem began when I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night. When I turned on the light there was a gigantic cockroach on it's back on the title. It looked fake, that's how exaggeratedly large it was. After screaming I tried picking it up in toilet paper. it ran and I covered it with the trashcan. I went to the front desk and demanding they spray the room. I was told they spray all the time. The attendant came with a pooper scooper that he gathered the roach with. Hmmm.... Seems very prepared for such and occasion. And he sprayed. It was kind of hard to sleep after that. I wore my flip flops every where. I squished a weird looking juicy bug by the sliding glass door but didn't see anything else until i was getting ready to leave on the last day. I went to pick up my toothbrush in the hotdog basket they had in the bathroom. There was a little roach crawling around (two days after the bathroom was sprayed.) I grabbed the basket and chucked it outside the door. When I checked out I brought the empty basket to the front desk, not wanting to be charged for it. That attendant gave me a vague apology, but didn't seem all the surprised. I wanted a cheap hotel so I wasn't expecting anything fancy. Just hoping bug free. A positive was that I had fresh towels daily after the lack of when arriving. I was a little disappointed no one was that sorry for the roaches. There were no comps or making things right. I don't expect that from a well-known chain. Poor business.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Serena S

Thank You for taking the time to provide me with this information. I was informed by the night manager of this situation since he felt the fumigating company might not be spraying our property properly. I have contacted the company that comes and fumigates at our property and used this response to inform them that we have contracted them to avoid our guests from having this type of experience. I apologize for your inconvenience and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to remedy your experience with us! Once again, Thank You!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Howard J, General Manager at Shalimar Hotel of Las Vegas, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Pay an extra $5-$20 and stay at the Stratosphere two minutes up the strip. This place is disgusting. Non smoking rooms stink of smoke. Every time I walked into the room I nearly had an asthma attack from the stench. Rooms are dark and cold. Linens are dirty/rough, pillows are hard, towels are hard, floor is dirty and not cleaned, housekeeping came once in the 4 days I was there.

Place is just a joke and should actually be much cheaper than what it is.

Room Tip: A tip? Don't book. If your coming to Vegas pay for a decent hotel. If you can only afford this p...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Not bad, private balcony is nice, everything clean, located at the end of the strip, so it's quiet. Friendly staff. Pool looks fine. Complaint: too expensive ( paid 100/night on a weekend ) ...thin walls so you can hear everything, but it's vegas...

• Stayed: April 2014