“Real Good Before, A Little Disappointed This Time!”

Monte Carlo Resort & Casino
Ranked #111 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, GA
“Real Good Before, A Little Disappointed This Time!”
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Went to Las Vegas for the last day of CES 2013. Turned out to be a nightmare trip. Within 10 minutes after getting my rental car around 11pm, a young lady sitting behind me at a RED light, accelerates when the light turned green, before I could accelerate through the light. A fender-bender consuming three ours of my time. Note: Always take a photo of your rental damage after the accident (avoids rental company exaggeration) and the tag number of the car that hit you, (in case they decide to skip the scene). Officer said other driver be charged, so this will work out.

Had picked the Monte Carlo, which I have stayed at several times before and rated well, because the rate was about $65 for the night, much cheaper than in previous years during the convention.

Hotel: Still nice and bright as usual with lots of activity. There were ample desk agents.

Room and Bed: I only observed the interior it for a split second before going to get another rental. I crashed when I got to the hotel, not paying attention at 2am, because I was exhausted. However, I noted as I crawl into bed that the sheet above my body felt 'odd' (no nothing crawling about odd). When I awoke the next morning and pulled back the cover. I found a significant tear in the sheet, that was too big for housekeeping not to have noticed when they put it on the bed. Also as I looked around, I found a couple of small tears in the lamp shade and what looked like a liquid stain on the shade.

Although no specific stain on the floor, the carpeting appeared dull compared to before.

I've attached photos of what I saw when I awoke the next morning.

I was shocked, because this was not similar to any previous experience with them. That is my fair statement.

Bathroom: Absolutely no problems there, wall dressing and floors were fine. The bathroom is a decent size.

Outcome: As you can imagine after the accident, I was not happy with this hotel also adding to my experience on this trip.

I complained at the desk upon check-out before going to the convention. A well experienced supervisor, apologized profusely. She offered to comp me $50 in food expenses from the restaurants. A future stay in a proper room would have been more appropriate, because food doesn't cost much. However, I was hungry so I took it.

RESORT FEE!
One thing though! She waive the resort fee, which I didn't even know I was about to be charged. I scoured the reservation site before booking at hotel.com, because I hate 'resort fees' and won't intentionally book a hotel with them. It creates a false sense of value in nice terms and is deceptive in the worse terms.

I'm looking at the Monte Carlo right now as I do this review on hotels.com website with a fantastic rate option of $44 before taxes and such for Sunday night. I see no mention of a resort fee. Call 'any' hotel you are considering and ask if a resort fee exist.

A good thing!
The supervisor asked for a copy of these photos you see here, so that she could direct them to housekeeping. That is when I figured she was serious about addressing the issue.

Buffet: I used the comp for breakfast (brunch) and the quality is not as good as before. The pancakes and waffles on the steamer tray were so dry I could not cut them easily with a knife. You have to get your own drinks from a self-serve station, versus the waiters bringing them to you. The rest of the food was okay and they still had the good omelet station.

I came back around 3pm, while they appeared to still be in the brunch mode. While nibbling, they converted over to dinner items and I will say they were MUCH better in quality and taste.

I could not pick up wifi in the room. I believe they have a hard-wire system, which would be an issue for those who travel with tablets.
______

The reality is people's perception of value is what they spend compared to what they get. Since the hotel cost less this time and I ran into these issues only this time, my perception was the hotel was dropping in quality. Hope that I am wrong. I still like the hotel, but I can only compare it to how good it was before.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Lifetraveler1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 January 2013

The hotel looks nice but the rooms are looking worn.
The carpet is frayed at the transition strip, there are hard water stains on the faucet on the tub.
The bed was so hard I was unable to get a goodnights sleep. The pillows are so stiff they are like bricks.
I had called 2 times before checking in to make sure I could have a king bed as I was checking in at midnight, I was told both times that it would be no problem. When I got to the hotel they had no king bed available.
I also asked for a non smoking room, they told me no problem. I'm very sensitive to smoke and perfumes. They don't have designated non smoking rooms. They let guests smoke in all the rooms and claim to clean them to non smoking standards. Trust me I can still smell the smoke.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I love the rooms especially the bathrooms they were super clean, overall the whole hotel was layed out really nice. Centrally located in vegas for all the fun things to do, great assortment of drinks at the bar, the pools were refreshing and clean I never saw a single piece of dust.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PaulHanken123
Cranesville, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 11 January 2013

The Monte Carlo is an excellent value for the money. I did attempt to upgrade on check in and was told no suites available. The desk clerk looked like she had beeen asked that 20 million times that day. The Cafe' and Big Belly Buffet are way over piced but the Pub is excellent with a huge selection of beers. Overall we were very satisfied and will definately stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed 11 January 2013

If you are planning to trip to Las Vegas there are plenty of better options vs the getting tired and old Monte Carlo. A few comments on my recent 3 night stay:

1. Rooms - old and in need of updates. TV remote didn't work so I had to unplug the TV from the wall (two trips to Concierge to have it fixed resulted in nothing being done). No wi-fi so if you have an ipad good luck checking email or surfing the net for things to do in Vegas. Bathroom is more like a Holiday Inn bathroom / cheap towels / old fixtures / drip baskets on the exposed sink pipes.

2. Casino - not overly large compared to others close by. Low priced minimums at the tables which is good if looking to play but not lose your shirt. Staff at tables were good. But if looking for a "casino vibe" not the place to be.

3. Food/Restaurants - first thing you see from the lobby when you walk to elevators to your room is a food court - Mcdonalds etc. which is a little odd. Good if you want some cheap eats late at night or early a.m. Other restaurants looked a little old and tired and not very busy which was odd considering CES was on and almost all good restaurants are jammed. Two Starbucks which is always a plus!

4. Staff - check in / check out staff was very good. Concierge my only experience was lodging two complaints re the TV (remote not working) and there being nothing done - so a fail mark. Rooms were cleaned nice morning.

5. Location - good spot on strip but hotel feels set back from the strip vs. others which leave you feeling like you are apart of the strip/action.

Overall, the Monte Carlo now needs to be classified as one of the "older places to stay" on the Strip and with there being so many new places to stay I would recommend looking elsewhere if you are looking for the full Vegas experience.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank JonnyR1
Castaic, CA
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Trip was a group for a 21st birthday party. The staff made a special effort to make sure the birthday person had a great time. Everyone had a lot of fun and there was something for everyone. Very conveniently located on the Strip and the tram takes you to other hotels if you want to leave.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Annamarieca
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We visited the MC jan 4-7, 2013. This was our third time to stay there, and the main reasons are its location on the strip, the value proposition, and the extra amenities/services available there. We've stayed at fancier places (i.e. the Cosmopolitan), but like the MC because it's really nice but not "uppity". For example, there's a Denny's across the street and a good food court right off the lobby/casino area. Plus stores providing "regular stuff" people need...but the also have great fashion shopping too. It's a big hotel, but not so big that you feel overwhelmed. There's a lot of variety in the dining, the casino and overall entertainment. In summary for us, the value for our dollar far exceeds our other Las Vegas stays.

Room Tip: We prefer higher floors for the views, whether facing the strip or the mountains.