“Major facelift required, too aged”

Ranked #116 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This hotel needs a major facelift. Don't come here if you are fussy about cleanliness.
Too aged and outdated rooms. Ripped off wall papers, broken lamp shades, dirty looking carpets and chairs. Beds were comfy and clean but had too high pillows. We had to upgrade to high floor with Strip view for $10/night extra. We got a room on 31st floor and the view was good. We didn't get bothered by any noise and it was quiet. The resort fee of $20/night plus taxes is a rip off but it is same across all hotels on the Strip. No fridge provided free. You can get that for additional charges of $15/night.
The bath tub was chipped, the tap was leaking and the flush was the scariest. It made such a noise that it made me jump when I used it for the first few times and my 9 year old son was scared to use it for a day. He also spotted a toothpick on the carpet which made me almost puke. It was really disgusting. I am not coming back to this hotel ever again.
Certainly not child friendly as you have to access the restaurants, food courts, lifts and also the Strip through the casinos. Choose other hotels if you are traveling with kids.

The hotel is huge and we did not see any bellman so had to lug our suitcases on our own. The check-in was easy and quick although there was a long queue. We used the express check-out on the TV. The keys get deactivated once you do that so keep everything ready to go. You can drop off the key cards at the boxes located near the lobby.

We did not use the pool as it was winter time.

Positives- it has a food court with McDonald but you have to walk through the smoke filled casinos to access the food courts and restaurants. We had dinner at the Dragon Noodle co one night, food was good. The buffet had all day pass for $35, unlimited number of time access and many variety.
Location of the hotel is good as you have everything close-by but it is a long walk from the hotel rooms to the Strip through the casinos or outside.
Premium outlet South is closer, you can reach in 15min using SDX bus. For north outlet it takes almost an hour. Same shops in both so going to North is not recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room. You can have a strip view room for additional 10$ per night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AussieRND
MGM_Resorts, Guest Relations Specialist at Monte Carlo Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Hi AussieRND,

Thank you for taking the time to share your helpful comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our dining options and convenient location. However, we apologize that other areas of your experience fell short of your expectations. We welcome you to contact us at guestrelations@montecarlo.com if you wish to discuss your visit further. Again, we appreciate your review and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Used to love Monte Carlo a lot more. It's still a great alternative to the Bellagio look but it's all changing to leave one with a more sour feeling. I'm tired of supporting any MGM property that feels that a 65% surcharge resort fee is considered not sneaky or deceptive. I DON'T CARE IF ITS DISCLOSED IN 4 POINT TYPE. It's drip pricing and just plain pisses me off. It's not the money at issue (although 22.40 for water and coffee is a joke and the rest of the resort items no one uses). If you want more money. Just RAISE The RATE. I don't care if my room rate of $33 a night is really $55.40. Just don't nickle and dime me with BS fees. Just be up front. And actually I can't stand that they are so quick to point out its on their website. So what. It wasn't on my Travel zoo email when it caught my eye. It's just plain principal. In tired of being treated like a sucker who won't take the time to fight drip pricing. So im going to make an effort not to support MGM properties and I encourage you think about it as well. Maybe some one in Washington will force hotels to do what the airlines had to do. It's now AWESOME to shop for airfare. You pay for what you see.

Oh so my three strikes are the resort fees, no more fancy fountains out front, and the strip view is gone thanks to the UGLY City Center blocking the entire view down the strip.

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Tadtv
MGM_Resorts, Guest Relations Specialist at Monte Carlo Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Hello Tadtv,

We sincerely apologize that your stay fell short of your expectations. Your feedback is greatly appreciated as it allows us to improve and provide the best possible experience to all of our guests. We welcome you to contact us at guestrelations@montecarlo.com if you wish to discuss your visit in more detail. Thank you for your review and we hope to hear from you in the future.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

The Monte Carlo is one of the best values in Las Vegas. Very well appointed and very clean. The staff is helpful and friendly. Add to those qualities a terrific location. The Monte Carlo has one of the friendliest poker rooms in Vegas. The staff and dealers learn your name and preferences quickly and go out of their way to accommodate. I am already planning my nest trip to Las Vegas and will definitely stay at the Monte Carlo.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Paul M

Hi Paul M!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the Poker Room staff during your stay! Our employees will be very appreciative of your kind feedback and we all look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

We booked four nights at the MC after receiving an email from them about a room sale & got a tremendous value (which, really, the coincedence of their promotion and low airfare at the time was the only reason we went...). This was our first stay at the MC - previously we've stayed at Luxor, Ballys, Flamingo & NYNY, we'd have to say we were happier with the MC than any of the previously mentioned establishments. It has a great location, the tables were reasonable, drink service was pretty good and it has decent food options. Ah yes, and, despite what some of the travel guides say (Frommers in particular) there is a keurig coffee maker in the room!

We had a high floor room with a (sort of) strip view which was clean, quiet (most of the time) and didnt show too many signs of wear or poor maintenance. We were, however, a little disappointed about no wifi (in the room - it is available on the first and second floors) or fridge.

Other things that were not entirely ideal - the pool. I tried for the life of me to find out on their website whether it was open or not before we left. We decided no, it couldnt be this time of year before we left, and didnt bring suits. Too bad, it was actually open (or, part of it was for limited hours). Maybe its just me, but, i'd have thought a pool opening update on the website would have been nice. We'd have enjoyed a little soak in the hot tub and were slightly miffed about not getting to take advantage of it.

I read in one of the other reviews about being woken up by people with the wrong room. Happened to us too. A very attractive young "lady" knocking at the door at 2am. Had there been one of those binders in our room that has all the hotel amenities & contact numbers we'd probably have called security, but, since our room didnt have one (which did strike us as odd), we simply went back to bed.

And, last but not least. The package we booked was to have included a $50 resort credit which we confirmed on check in. When the folio statement arrived, this was not included (hmm!), so, no express checkout. When we checked out the hard way, the helpful staff member had to work for a fair while to correct this for us, which was appreciated. However, the last thing we did was stop through the Mlife desk to see if we'd amassed any comps (we'd done most of our gambling at Mlife casinos and had figured we might have warranted a comp of some sort this time) - figuring that would have helped us decide how soon we'd be coming back to Vegas. Unfortunately, another helpful representative let us know that no, we had no comps available - because they'd been used to cover our food charges on our room bill. Hmm. I tried to explain to her that no, that couldnt be, because the food charges should have been covered under the resort credit that was supposed to be part of our booking, but, the third time she gave me the exact same answer my wife recognized the warning signs of an encounter that was about to go sideways and quietly suggested we had to get to our shuttle. It's unfortunate that our last experience with the MC went this way after what was otherwise an enjoyable stay.

Bottom line, would we go back, given the same deal we had, yes indeed. Given more normal rates, probably not.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Chewywashere,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are happy to see that you continue to stay with us; however, we are sorry to hear that areas of your recent stay fell short of your expectations. It is concerning to hear about your experience and we would value the opportunity to discuss your visit with you further. If you could please send any additional details including your preferred contact information to guestrelations@montecarlo.com we would greatly appreciate it. Again, thank you for your helpful comments and we hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Monte Carlo has again provided a nice and comfortable say for a short 2 night poker trip. Room was clean and quiet as always. I really enjoy this casino and the walkway to Aria/Cosmo is one of the top points of the Monte Carlo.
Check is was again easy on a Sunday morning at appx 9:00 AM although have had an issue on my last few visits that I cannot seem to get any clarification on.
I seem to get told different information each visit regarding the house charge acct/deposit amount. I usually do not wish to have a house charge account because I pay cash for most everything when I'm in Vegas. In my last 3 trips I've been told that. First trip: I can opt out with no problems... Second trip: I have to put down $100... Third (this trip): I have to put down $100 per night... I have no problem with doing this if required since I just give them cash and get it back upon checkout but would like to know what the procedure is as to be able to plan for it. I am a gold level MLife member and was comped the room so maybe this is why it was $100 per night this time. ????
Nevertheless...another nice visit to the Monte Carlo.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Knucklehead69

Hello Knucklehead69,

Thank you for your informative comments regarding your recent visit. We offer various options for guests with regard to their security deposit based on the type of reservation or promotion for which they book. Please feel most welcome to contact our Guest Relations department for security deposit clarification at guestrelations@montecarlo.com. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your future visits!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

My wife and I spent 4 nights at the Mirage and two nights at the MC over the holidays. We have spent a lot of time at the MC but never stayed there. We had a Monacco Suite which was adequate. Main advantage of this room is the two bathrooms. I must say that we really had a good time here and pretty much drank and gambled here all the time. We really love the pub. We did however eat most of meals at other properties using Groupons and other vouchers. I would definitely stay here again but promised the wife Hotel 32 next time around. The MC has that laid back style we like so much. The crowd is a good mix, the drinks were always good and you can not go wrong with all the happy hour deals this place has. It is small so it is also easy to get around. We are in the 40-50 year age group and this place fit us just perfect.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Steve M

Hi GoNIUHuskies!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are excited to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your recent stay with us! It is wonderful to know you loved The Pub and the welcoming atmosphere our staff works hard to provide for our guests. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we cannot wait for your next stay!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Monte Carlo. We found our room clean,spacious and quiet (other than neighboring rooms smashing their door closed instead of gently controlling the spring loaded door to quietly close). The room heating/cooling was consistent, and quiet. Staff were friendly, and helpful. Our room was on the 16th floor, and away from the elevator, so no sounds came down to our room from that. View was not great, as we were on the back side of the hotel with a view of the highway, and below of taxis & shuttles coming and going. We spent little time in the room other than to sleep as we were out every day. Bed were very comfortable. Food Court offered a variety of foods.... Starbucks, McDonalds, etc, and many others. We found the hotel central to other hotels, and within walking distance to all of them.... expect lots of walking on the strip to see things. All in all, we found it good value for the money with no complaints.

Room Tip: If you want a view, you'll have to pay for an upgrade. The higher the floor, the better, as noi...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PennyDe

Hi PennyDe!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are thrilled to hear that you liked your room and the bed during your stay. Our Food Court is very popular with our guests and we are happy to see that you enjoyed it as well. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!