“Better than Average”

Ranked #116 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Monte Carlo. Check in was a breeze; super fast and easy. It is a "smaller" Vegas property which really only means it takes 15 minutes or less to find your room. It's location on the strip is good, not perfect but good. You are next door to NYNY where you can catch the Westcliff Express (Tropicana Blvd side) which takes you directly to the outlet mall. No more taking the Deuce down the strip and transferring, seriously one stop and you are there. If you are a bargain shopper Ross and Marshall's are a 5 minute walk. D. Vino restaurant was fabulous. The service was perfect, the salmon entree was the best I have ever had, and for a strip restaurant the prices were incredibly reasonable. The food court off the casino floor was handy although we only ever used the Starbucks. Heads up no Starbucks on the strip will reload your card so load up before you go. Breakfast at The Cafe was pricey and the chicken sausage was terrible. They also charge you more if you charge to your room, this could be a standard procedure but I have never noticed this before. Also I found the resort fee annoying. I would really rather not have warm water bottles and a newspaper thank you very much! Just a cash grab really. Speaking of cash grab we also had our credit card "skimmed" in the casino. Our bank luckily caught the charge and cancelled our credit card, alerting us to this when we returned home. Guess we will get one of those metal credit card wallets for our next trip to Vegas. I don't blame the hotel for this, just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dizyhills
MGM_Resorts, Guest Relations Manager at Monte Carlo Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear dizyhills,

We appreciate your detailed observations, and are thrilled you found considerable value in both our convenient location and friendly service. Thanks for making Monte Carlo your preferred travel destination during your recent visit to Las Vegas, and please don’t hesitate to return again whenever possible.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Monte Carlo is centrally located. You have easy access to Dennys, the M & M Factory, and other key hotels such as the New York New York and MGM. Lots of places to shop such as Ross. The kids loved the pool. The pool is kept very clean even when young children accidently vomit in the pool. The staff was alerted and responded appropriately. It was very easy to obtain floating rings for the lazy river. WAving down a waitress or waiter was challenging, since so many people required service. I would recommend this hotel to families with children.

Room Tip: If you don't like music playing into the early evening hours until 7:00 pm, I recommend you requ...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dianne K

Dear Dianne K,

From our ideal location at the heart of the Las Vegas Strip, to the always entertaining pool facility with its lazy river and ample lounge chairs, Monte Carlo is a perfect choice for singles, couples, or families. We’re glad you had a great time at the MC, and look forward to serving you again in the future!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was my first stay at the Monte Carlo and I thought good and bad. The good was the location which was right in the middle of the strip. Just below the MGM and above the Bellagio. The good were the rooms which were roomy and very clean. Good was the staff which I found to all be very friendly and accomodating. Good was the Spa and fitness facility. The Spa was very nicely kept and offered full services. the fitness facility was also well appointed with machines that actually worked and would help with anyones fitness routine. The only negative was only 6 treadmills which were always in use. There was very little bad with this hotel, the only down side was the food court which was extremely small, and congested, and offered very little choice of meals, and I also found the pool area to be extremely congested with the chairs literally touching each other. Overall i was very happy with the hotel and would most certainly consider staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin P

Dear Kevin P,

We certainly regret any inconvenience experienced as a result of higher than normal foot traffic in our food court and pool complex. However, we’re happy to know that our convenient location, personable service, and relaxing spa facility combined to make your recent stay at Monte Carlo a memorable one. We appreciated your patronage, and are eager to host you again the next time you come to town.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

A number of us stayed at Monte Carlo because we were in town for my daughter's wedding. Overall it was a good experience. Our room was nice and very clean. However, there were little things that could be a quick fix to make it a great room. For example, every lamp shade was damaged.

Pool and lazy river- fun on the hot days.. However, there were so many people standing and drinking in the lazy river it was difficult to enjoy, I was surprised the lifeguards didn't say or do anything,

Casino- just right for me. I don't gamble much but had fun playing the slots.

Location-Great

Food-Many options,,,loved the food court for a late night diet coke. Restaurants were good.

I love the smell of the lobby. Wish I could bottle that to bring home!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Cindy L,

Please accept our heartfelt congratulations on your daughter’s marriage. We were grateful for the opportunity to serve as the site of your recent stay in Las Vegas, and appreciate you sharing both your insights and suggestions online.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from the Monte Carlo in Las Vegas. On arrival the hotel looked very glamorous, the reception area had massive chandeliers and marble floors. Our rooms were not ready and after a 10 1/2 hour flight tgatcwas not funny. We waited for a further 2 hours for a room . We had deluxe rooms they were big enough but were very tired and in need of a refurb.The bathrooms looked old and again in need of some tlc. There was a hairdryer, iron and ironing board and a free safe which were good. A large tv but no wifi in the rooms which was a pain. Only wifi on the first 2 floors.The buffet breakfast was approx 18 dollars (rising to 23 dollars at the weekend) was excellent value for money, a big range of food, juice ,tea and coffee as much as you could eat and staff were very pleasant. The Casino was not as good as some of the other hotels. The staff we spoke to were all very helpful on reception and bell desk. The cleaners came in every day.There were taxis always available out the rear. The hotel is in a good spot and we only used it to sleep in and I must say the beds and pillows were the most comfortable I have ever slept on.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tracey T

Dear Tracey T,

We apologize for the room availability delays encountered at check-in, as well as the unsatisfactory condition of their decors. However, it’s nice to know our commitment to service excellence and bedding accommodations both made your stay a pleasant one. Hopefully, the challenges experienced will not deter you from visiting Monte Carlo again in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is the second year in a row that we have stayed at the MC. My family vacations in Las Vegas every year and we have stayed at several strip properties. ( Luxor, MC, NYNY, Mirage, Aria, Venetian, Encore) Because of MLife, we try to stay at MGM properties as there are usually good deals. My kids picked a return to the MC mainly because of the pool and specifically the sand volleyball court. We booked three rooms for three nights and could not meat the price ( avg. of $38/night...wait, I mean $58/night with the resort fee). Still a good deal. Wifi is deceptive..all other places that we have stayed at have WiFi available throughout the hotel ( especially in room). There is no WiFi available in the rooms ( except for floors one and two from what I hear). There is an "Ethernet" cable in the rooms for internet access, but who really uses this anymore??? Most have smart phones or tablets etc. So when it comes to internet (WiFi) it really is not included in the price of the resort fee, even though "technically" you do have access. Practically, you don't.
As has been discussed, the property in "tired" and in need of a remodel. It has really been beat up over the years and I suspect that the low pricing will continue to draw clientele who will add to the demise of the property. The staff was very efficient and accommodating ( $20 trick worked again), housekeeping, in my opinion were doing the minimum. The main problem as I see it, is the crowd that is drawn to the MC ( due to affordability) trash the place. People don't think twice about throwing trash in the hallways, extinguish cig butts on the floor of the entrance ( inside mind you). Also, had a minor issue with one of our rooms: The neighboring "Suite" had what sounded like 4-5 children left unattended in it. The noise level was unbearable. Appeared that mom and dad went down to the casino and left the kids unattended in the room. What do you expect for $50/night???. Front desk moved us promptly ( from strip view to pool view) Attention to detail by cleaning staff appears to be lacking. I noticed a broken tine of a plastic fork and some other smaller pieces of trash on the hallway floor outside my room. It never was picked up for the three days that we were there. No big deal, but you'd never see this at Wynn, Aria, Venetian. Bed was comfortable, room was satisfactory, AC barely kept up but overall room temp was satisfactory. Location is good, plenty of action and options nearby. Although, I find that I prefer, quieter locations ( Encore/Wynn). Overall, not totally dissatisfied, for the price, it was fine. I suspect with all the work ( new arena and park between the NYNY and MC) that a remodel is coming.

Room Tip: There really is not a good "Strip View" in my opinion. The hotel is set back off of the s...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Don B
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've stayed at the Monte Carlo many times over the years. Most recently, stayed for three nights in July 2014. Overall, the property has seen some recent upgrades with new dining options including a coffee shop, ice cream shop, Japanese street food, and a noodle place. It's nice to see more options.

We had a car, and find the Monte parking structure easy to navigate and really convenient for hotel access. Not only is it easy to get from parking to the hotel building, but it's a direct walk to the hotel elevators - no winding through the casino with your suitcases.

Check-in was a little unusual. It's pretty common in Vegas to ask for an upgrade with a $20 bill. If an upgrade is available, the money serves as a tip for the worker. If not, the front desk person typically returns the $20. We did offer the $20, were immediately told the hotel was sold out, and the worker kept the $20. That's not the custom, so we were somewhat taken aback, but carried on.

Our room was a standard, no upgrades. It suited our needs. The walls had some scuffs, carpet was a little worse for wear, the bathroom is outdated, and the toilet was acting up (maintenance tried to address, but didn't ultimately fix it). We had a comfortable and quiet place to sleep. It would be nice if they refreshed the rooms and included mini-refrigerators. It's not luxurious, but I was comfortable with my surroundings. In other words, it was clean, safe, quiet - acceptable.

Monte is conveniently located. We always like to spend time at New York New York Casino, and it's short walk next door. It was also convenient to have access to the free tram to City Center and Bellagio.

We get offers for free nights at Monte, which is what keeps us coming back. I know I will stay at Monte again...they just offered us another free night...but I hope they invest in some upgrades to the guest rooms soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple