“Gentleman's Vegas Golf Trip”

Monte Carlo Resort & Casino
Ranked #102 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Il
“Gentleman's Vegas Golf Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2010

This is just Jim and not Maggie and the four of us guys stayed in two rooms on the 19th floor and had a very enjoyable stay at the Monte Carlo.
Hotel:
We usually stay in moderately priced hotels like the NYNY or Flamingo and booked the Monte Carlo so that we could cool off in the pools after our rounds of golf. The hotel is not a four star hotel but it was perfectly fine and met our expectations. No wait for Thursday afternoon check in nor Sunday morning departure. Had non-smoking, 2- Queen beds available as I requested. Very good/nice employees throughout the weekend. Very nice clean room. One thing the rooms need is to replace the older television sets but even that didn't matter to us as we don't spend very much time in the rooms anyway.

Food:
We miss the brew pub but enjoyed the beer pub. They have replaced the excellent oven baked pizzas with flatbread ones. They had a very good acoustic guitarist playing to an indifferent crowd on Thursday evening. She was very good. $145 for three people, Overpriced for what it was. We just had 2-3 beers each.
There is a very crowded Starbucks in the food court. If you walk 2 minutes down past the Pub and retail on the way to Aria you will find a larger, less crowded one.

Pool:
The pool was relaxing on Friday afternoon. I wish they played a little more pop music and a little less rap music. Both the pool and lazy river were good and crowded. The water was noticably less clean on Saturday. Easy to get a chair both afternoons.

The resort is aiming for a younger, stupider crowd. There is entire "party" pit on the weekends for bad 6:5 BJ tables with a Go-Go dancer. Overall, the MC is not looking for discerning clientele. This is not negative, just an observation. We enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank JD-Maggie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2010

This was my very first trip to Las Vegas, and I went with my husband and a bunch of friends for a wedding. There was a large group of us that wanted to get rooms near each other, but we didn't request this before we arrived. The people at the front desk were very nice and very accomodating, and were able to get us all rooms near each other. The rooms were older but decent, didn't spend a whole lot of time there anyways. Never had to wait for an elevator, there always seemed to be one ready.
I thought the location of the Monte Carlo was very good, within walking distance to several shops and other hotels, and it even had a free tram that went to the Bellagio. All the hotels are so big, make sure you wear comfortable walking shoes! The first night we were there we took a taxi everywhere which got expensive. I recommend taking the bus - only $7 for a 24 hour unlimited pass.
There were also quite a few things to do within the hotel. I was really glad that the Monte Carlo had a food court with places like McDonalds and Subway, Vegas gets really expensive so it was nice to have a cheaper option for lunch or late night snacks. The Pub was also a pretty cool place to hang out as well. I think Monte Carlo had one of the better casinos, lots of slot machines and card tables, and never too crowded. The pool area was really fun, especially if you like to party! There were music and games, and they also had really good drinks (get the peach bellini!!).
All the shows and attractions in Vegas are pretty expensive, but there are some free things to do: see the fountains at the Bellagio, the volcano at the Mirage, the lions at the MGM Grand, the pirate show at Treasure Island, and you definitely need to go downtown to Fremont Street (one of my favs!).
We arrived on a Wednesday night, which turned out to be a really good idea. We were able to do most of the sightseeing Wednesday and Thursday. By Friday, everywhere was considerably more crowded. Also, I would not recommend bringing young kids. There is drinking, gambling, and 'adult entertainment' everywhere you look.
One last thing - you should visit Toby Keith's Bar and Grill in Harrah's. The bartenders were amazing and they had a live band and dance floor with lots of two-stepping!
If I went to Vegas again, I would probably stay at the Monte Carlo again. It is less expensive than some of the others, in a good location, and has fun things to do.

• Stayed June 2010
lehi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

One thing that I really liked about this hotel is that you can drive around the back and
have the valet take your car and walk right into the Hotel registration and not have to
walk through the whole casino with your luggage and everything. They have complimentary
water bottles in your room, the pool was really nice, the people at the registration desk were
very friendly - and for the location on the strip it was a good value

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Penney728
Osan Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

The Monte Carlo is no where near being the Bellagio, Venetian, or any of the high priced luxury hotels, but for the average joe like me its good enough, especially for the price. First the good things, the Spa Suite is very comfortable. It has a huge jetted tub right by the window, perfect for a romantic evening. The bed is very comfortable and decnt size for two people, although a king would be better. The shower stall is amazing, it doubles as a lil sauna, The furniture is a little older, but is still pretty comfortable. The TV can be updated though. Maybe get a flat screen in here, would make it a little better.

Now the bad. The service here is not the greatest. The front desk was friendly, but after that not so much. When I went to the Player's Club to get a card, there was only maybe five words that cam from the gentleman's mouth. He never explainded any comps you could get, never explained how many points you need to get free play or any other comps, and lastly I had to remind him to get a pin number for the card. Then he looked at me like I just murdered someone. Then came the buffet, the hostess pretty much snapped on my friends and I when we asked for a booth. The room was crowded that they had us in, and I didn't feel like playing bumper chairs that day, especially after a long flight. The thing that irritated me the most was there was atleast 3 booths open in that section. Luckily a waiter heard us and moved us to a new section, she wasn't gonna do it thats for sure. The buffet itself was decent, although the price was a little high for the selection( off the strip, the Station Casinos offer better deals on the buffets, and have more of a selection).If you do want to save money on food, this place has a food court, which is a major plus.

Lastly, I don't know if the rest of the strip is this bad, but these slot machines are terrible. They are almost to boring to play due to the fact of the machines not even teasing you with bonuses, or possible bigger wins. It gets old and boring quick when you keep putting the money in, then don't even get a proper payback. I understand Vegas was not built on winners, but at the same time atleast keep people in the games for a couple hours to kill time. I am still staying here, so I think I will take my gambling elsewhere for the rest of the time.

All in all the thing that matters most is the room, and like I said its pretty darn comfortable, and relatively affordable.So on that note Im glad I picked here, as far as the rest of the stuff, well there are probably better casinos out there.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
carlsbad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

From the time we deiced to stay here to the end, my family was treated with special care. Having a family reunion can be trickey, trying to satisfy everyone, but the Monte Carlo meet everyones needs and did it with class.
Katy, at the front desk was able to get all 11 rooms on the same floor and the rooms were nice....you must remember what you are paying....we paid less that $250 for friday,sat,and sun. in Vegas.....the pool area was perfect for all ages, with drink specials till noon.... plus not overly crazy....just fun....spent 2 days soaking up the sun and trust me if you want sun it can be found....but get there around 8 for the best seats..
Location was great...right on the srtip, the food court was VERY handy and the casino was comfortable...not overwhelming...like some. Yes the rooms aren't the fanciest....but they sure are nice and comfortable.....my wifes only complaint is the maidservice....they weren't able to our rooms in a timely fashion, but they did.....Everyone said that the MC be there first choice again given the price we paid.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Herndon, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

The hotel, casino and restaurant staff are very friendly and helpful. Check in was quick and easy. Our room on the 19th floor had a view of the pool area. Don't get a room with a view of the pool if you want to sleep during the day as it is very noisy. The hotel lobby, casino, restaurants, and guest hallways are kept up very well. Our room, a 2 queen was large. The bath room was a nice size. The shower head was horrible and it was impossible to turn off the tub facet after using. The linens and toiletries were cheap. The sheets would not stay on the bed which made sleeping very uncomfortable. When I checked with housekeeping about getting sheets that fit the bed, I was told they had no fitted sheets, but they would put king size sheets on the bed. They didn't. Room service was very good, both food and delivery. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Sonoma, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2010

. I've read a lot of reviews regarding the Monte Carlo and to me it comes down to your expectations. If you are looking for the Wynn or Bellagio for Monte Carlo prices this is not your place. For me I love this place because its very clean, nice pools, great location, good food choices and nice rooms. The beds were comfortable and the rooms clean. I would think that this would be a good hotel for family's due to a more mature clientele. As well the staff and casino has always been very friendly and helpful when needed

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo