“We had a great time!”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #101 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 27 May 2011

We have been going to Las Vegas for vacation since the nineties. We have stayed at several of the hotels on the strip, and even one downtown. I can truly say that this was the best stay ever. From our host Ron Chalk, to Service Manager Tamara, to Vincente at the Restaurant, we could not have been happier. Our room was always promptly cleaned, with all the ammenities replaced, not like some hotels where they assume you can use what you had yesterday. The bar tenders were attentive and we never felt neglected.

Room Tip: Stay in Paradise Tower, no long walk.
2  Thank rmrm2310
Write a ReviewReviews (12,228)

Reviewed 27 May 2011

Great check in with a smile from a lovely lady. Stayed in the paradise tower, large comfy bed, very clean sheets. Lovely new mod cons, iPod dock, tv. Could have done with a coffee make though.

Room cleaned daily with no problems. Pool lovely, music a little too loud for me, but hey I'm not 21 anymore, but could read my book, plenty of sun loungers, but no parasols? Over all a great stay but will stay further up the strip next time for location reasons only.

2  Thank Tammy17
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I recently stayed at the Tropicana during the WPTAPL Championships. I booked my room WAY in advance, on the phone with a reservationist who was so excited about the remodeled hotel that I couldn't wait to get there. We arrived on April 20th and were not disappointed. The hotel is bright, cheerful and clean. The casino is mostly white and the beautiful stained glass dome over the gaming tables is still there. I did have a few problems prior to arriving ..not any fault of the hotel..all mine since I had to make multiple changes to my reservations and those were taken care of by Ms Nicole Marshall..Thank you Nicole..I know my requests were confusing! Our room was in the Paradise Tower, where we had a view of the MGM and strip. Again, the room was bright, cheerful, large and CLEAN. There was no coffee pot (my husband is practically on a coffee IV) but I called housekeeping and within 15 mins a Keurig was brought up to the room.
The casino itself is kind of small by Vegas standards, cheerful but no real "party" atmosphere ..quiet as far as a casino goes..I liked when the machines went all the way to the back tower years ago, it made the casino seem huge. The seleciton of machines now is good, but again, there could be more.
The food here is VERY expensive. The morning buffet, at Cafe Nikki was approx $16 per person and at least on the day we went did not even include made to order omelets or eggs, just the usual scrambled eggs on a hot plate. The buffet appeared to be about 20 feet long not very large for that money. We ordered 2 bagels and 2 coffees instead and with tip it cost us $22!!! WAY too much. AND when we received the bill we were charged too much for the bagels. When I informed the waitress, she told me the bill had to be correct. I told her to please bring the menu & I'd show her...we had been charge $1 extra for each bagel. The money was returned but the problem here is, if I hadn't checked the bill..well you know the rest. There was also a time when my husband ordered just soup at one of the quick counter services and he waited 45 minutes! Totally unacceptable.
Thanks to Ms Marshall we were able to attend the Mob Experience which is very interesting but could use more interaction..this would be a great attraction if it wasn't located in no man's land WAY, WAY back off the convention area..I think the hotel should also consider adding an interactive dinner as so many of these types of attractions have.
On the whole, I definitely would stay here again. The hotel is sparkling clean, casino bright and cheerful and the staff can't be beat! EVERYONE (except the one waitress) was just as nice and cheerful as the surroundings..housekeeping was great. I would recommend a cheaper fast food area and the return of the cheaper 24 hour cafe where 2 bagels don't cost $22. AND Nicole, I am sorry we didn't get a chance to meet..but next time, I promise!

1  Thank sharpasice
Reviewed 27 May 2011

We stayed for 5 nights just before Nikki beach opened, but it looked like it was going to be impressive. We were upgraded at reception by using the $20 tip, we were placed in club tower floor 15, views of the pool and part of the strip,and part of the airport. Not a lot of noise at all, just from emergency sirens.Our room was large, spacious, spotless, very large bed which was extremely comfortable. The room was about a good 7-10 minute walk from reception, but not a problem, when you walk miles everywhere anyway. We didnt eat at the hotel resturants but you can get 50% off your meals if you buy a $3 coupon from the ticket booths on the strip. Where we also got show tickets for Jersey boys, and the rat pack shows. Both well worth it.
The Tropicana is south of the strip so you do a lot of walking to get around. You can buy a 3 day hop on bus pass which runs up and down the strip for $7. Well worth the money , as it stops at every hotel and can take upto 1 hour to run from one end to the other. Or the express bus which only stops at certain stops and is obviously quicker.
The pool areas look great, lots of bed both in the sun and shade, always beds available when we looked.
The casino is very small when you see other hotel casinos, it depends on what you want. A great smell of sun cream is noticable around reception and parts of the casino, apparently it makes you spend more money?
I cannot fault this hotel for the money we paid, friendly helpful staff and always plenty around.
Las Vegas is a fantastic place, so much to see and do, and for the amount of time we spent in our room it met all our needs.
Will definatley be coming back to the Tropicana.

Room Tip: $20 tip to receptionist when checking in
6  Thank mumof2WalesUk
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Stayed two nights with a group in eight rooms and found the entire visit excellent. We had a slight problem with checkin after months of planning as a group visit, we arrived and found we had been handed off as individuals, so our rooms were all over the place. Yolanda took care to get us all on the same floor, and did it with a good attitude! What a great person to meet at the front! Later in the evening we went back to get other rooms keys and had more inefficient staff who wanted to charge us all over again. Why was there no record they could see? Their attitude was a little different in helping us. The rooms were wonderful and the whole place was just beautiful. The renovation has made this a real gem and I highly recommend you give this a chance on your next visit. Did not use the food services nor pool, but there is so much to see around town, why would you be hanging around? On the other hand, go ahead and hang around - you will love it here. The majority of staff were the best workers I have met in my recent travels. I commend the hospitality training staff for the great job they seem to be doing with employees.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank CoachSr
Reviewed 25 May 2011

After reading mixed reviews here, I was a little worried about staying at this hotel, but I got a package deal that was too good to be true, so I bit the bullet and went for it. Although it's no Bellagio or Venetian, it's definitely a decent place to stay at the south end of the strip. They have done a very well job with the remodel, although you can still find hints of the old Tropicana, like the front desk. The pool is also very nice. They did a good job trying to capture the South Beach feel. Another perk of this hotel is it's location. It's very close to the airport, which is a good thing if you take a taxi to and from there. The only real negative I could think of is that there are a few stairs you have to climb to get to the front desk. This wasn't really a problem for me, however if you have a big, heavy suitcase with you, it could take quite some effort to get it up with you.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ecr527
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Travelled with Virgin Holidays fora one week stay at Tropicana, newly renovated Hotel. The hotel is superb and cannot be faulted. But unfortunately, they have now opened a Nikki Beach Club. We stayed on the 10th Floor in the Club Tower adjacent to the club and it was hell!!! Non stop music thudding in your chest all night. They claim the club will enable guests to enjoy the best Vegas pool parties throughout the day and party all night at what will surely be the best hot spot in Vegas. Their mission is to create unforgettable memories that will stay with our guests long after they leave our venue! Unfortunately, at the expense of the Hotel Guests. When I complained I was offered ear plugs and told nobody else had complained. Guests probably won't complain, but won't return a second time.

5  Thank Retiredtraveller6051