“Very enjoyable stay at the Tropicana”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #97 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Kernersville, NC
“Very enjoyable stay at the Tropicana”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

With all the choices in Vegas, I had a hard time balancing location and value when making my hotel choice. I attended a conference at Caesar's Palace, and I wanted to stay somewhere close by. But the prices for all mid-level hotels in that section of the Strip were too high, and Tropicana had both good rates and good reviews here on TripAdvisor. While it was a bit inconvenient ($9 taxi rides each way), I think I made a good choice.

Most of the Tropicana has been recently renovated, and it's updated and clean. My room, a "Deluxe" room, was more than adequate. Comfortable bed, large HDTV, quiet. I stayed in the closer Paradise Tower, which I highly recommend.

The casino was a good size, not as large as others I visited, but more than adequate. The dealers were friendly, and while I played some blackjack and slots, I'll leave the gambling reviews to those more experienced and qualified.

My one quibble with the Tropicana is its dining options. I traveled alone, and didn't have an interest in the more upscale hotel restaurants. They probably wouldn't have been my choice even if traveling with my wife. But in a moderate scale hotel like this, there should be a lot more casual dining choices. There's a Starbucks, a pizza/sandwich shop, and a yogurt store. This is a weakness the hotel really should have addressed in its remodeling.

Still, a good experience. The next trip to Vegas, I'll definitely give the Tropicana full consideration. Not a "wow," but still, quite good.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for the Paradise Tower, you're right at the entrance and the casino.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank rgc1600

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,667)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Milden, Saskatchewan
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed at the Tropicana for 4 nights in January and had a great time..We had stayed there previously in April and were so impressed we came back to stay again. Both times the service has been excellent, the rooms have been thoroughly renovated and look like brand new. Tropicana is a quieter smaller casino with lots of slot choices and unlike most casinos is very bright and airy. The pool area is second to none and even though it was too cool to enjoy it in January, we will be back to use it. We love the Tropicana and plan on returning within the next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Paradise Tower which is closer to the entrance of the casino.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Darlene G
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Newley renovated Paradise tower was Awesome. Check in was fast and the bed was so comfortable. All the common areas smelled like being at a beach and we had an extra daybed in our room. there is only 2 downsides no coffee maker and the resort fee. Other then that, No problems at all. Very nice room and big parking lot. would reccomend to everyone wihtout hesitation.

Room Tip: Paradise tower facing the strip.......Fantastic views of the excalibur, luxor and mandalay bay!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
IdeasForDownload
Reviewed 15 January 2012

When Hotwire said the hotel I was getting was four star, I was sure it was going to be Mandalay Bay. When I found out it was Tropicana, I thought to myself, "There is no way - that hotel has been there forever!" I've stayed at almost every hotel on the strip, but this was the first time at Tropicana and I was pleasantly surprised.

The room was large, clean and updated. They've remodeled every area of the hotel including the hallways. Parking was easy as well.

A smaller casino means you won't feel like you are doing a 5K to get outside or to the parking lot.

Overall, a great stay and I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank IdeasForDownload
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I was thoroughly pleased with our stay at The Tropicana. From the front desk staff to the wait staff at Club Nikki, everyone went out of their way to make our stay great. We even used a discount travel site to book our room, and that didn't affect how we were treated in any way negatively (which has happened at other establishments).

Thank you for a wonderful stay, Tropicana! We will be visiting again!

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Designisgo
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We experienced a superb seven day stay at the Tropicana (30 Dec 2011 - 6 Jan 2012). We have visited Vegas many times but hadn't stayed at the Tropicana before. We found the hotel excellent - the refurbished room was superior to other properties in the same class that we have stayed at; hence we will be recommending the 'Trop' to friends and family.

The bedroom furniture/ bed/ TV etc were all new and provided a bright and airy environment. The bathroom appears to be part re-furbished, we found the shower-head a little low! From reading other reviews it sounds as though bathrooms are being worked on so when we return this won't be a problem.

We found the staff who we spoke to over the course of the week were a credit to the organisation - friendly, professional and very much wanting to help us enjoy our stay. This was noticeably different to some of the other properties that we have stayed at previously.

The daily resort fee includes wireless internet connection but we found the service intermittent. We needed to access emails on a daily basis and struggled on some occasions to get good connectivity. We also used the new gym (now located in Glow Spa and not as indicated in the room guide), all new machines and overlooking the pool area, a good environment for your workout.

Overall a super stay, we certainly plan to return and look forward to enjoying the Tropicana again.

Room Tip: Paradise Tower is nearer to the Strip. We stayed in Club Tower and didn't find the walk to the S...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Is-It-Ishi
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I just returned from a great January stay at the Tropicana. The hotel has been completely transformed. Everything is new. There is a new Starbucks in the casino. The rooms have been completely remodeled with a great tropical decor. The mattresses are new and the beds are comfortable. I have been stayed at the Tropicana numerous times and my room has always been very clean. The Trop is a great location on the Vegas strip too.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends