“not much to offer, very ordinary”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #103 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 4 February 2014

this hotel should not be called anything to do with the Hilton Brand, in fact if i was hilton i would immediately remove them from the group, The service is very ordinary and the hotel is old, tired and certainly a step back in time. The facilities are also very poor,

Here is some of the issues,
1) the service and speed of checking etc is non existent,
2) there is no one at the front greeting arrivals.
3) there is no one to assist with luggage.
4) the breakfast is a non event, that you will find yourself having it at a neighbouring hotel.
5) the cereal is served in paper cups, coffee in paper cups and other plates are plastic.
6) if you order a drink in a bar at the hotel they are served in plastic cups,
7) the amenities in the room are very cheap quality and not worthy of using,
8) the airdonditiong does not work, the rooms are so hot the only way to cool them down is to actually turn the aircon off and then open the door, to allow some air in, which is very difficult to cope at night in some rooms as there is no fly or bug screens on the doors and windows.
9) there is no internet in the tower rooms, if you want free internet you have to stay in a remote second graded are that the hotel calls 'bungalows' but believe me don't be fooled by the terminology.

I could go on and on, lets just say, - stay somewhere else!!

Room Tip: choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelbradBrisbane
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear TravelbradBrisbane,

We are disappointed to hear of your experience at our hotel and appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. The problems you mentioned were brought to the attention of our guest services department and have been addressed. We strive to provide efficient and exceptional service for our guests and we are deeply saddened to hear this was not delivered to you on your stay. Please feel free to contact me directly. Myexperience@troplv.com - Shelby

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We had not been to the Tropicana in Las Vegas in several years. It was always so dark and dreary so we avoided it. We had the opportunity to visit in January of 2014 and were very surprised. The entire property was bright and cheery. The staff we encountered was very friendly and helpful.

If you haven't been to the Trop lately, give it a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: The Bungalow rooms are very spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathleen B

Dear Kathleen B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed the renovations and had a great time with our staff! Please let us know when you will be visiting again! Myexperience@troplv.com - Shelby

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I am a Hilton Diamond member and I flew into town a day before I had to be there for a convention. I wanted to stay somewhere besides the gigantic place I was going to be at for 6 days. I chose the Trop and it was fantastic. Their service was amazing. The diamond service team is incredible. The tables weren't too crowded and the rooms were fantastic. I will definately be back. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jakesdad0412

Dear Jakesdad0412,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving us a review. We strive to delight our Guests with our service and I am thrilled to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let us know when you'll be visiting us again! Myexperience@troplv.com –Shelby

Reviewed 4 February 2014

The hotel was nicely redone and it was very easy to get in and out of. Being so close to the end of the strip wan't an issue at all, easy access to everything. We would stay here again upon our return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

We appreciate the valuable feedback you provided us, our goal is to meet and exceed our guests' expectations and we are thrilled to hear you found the location and the layout of the hotel to be convenient. Please let us know when you will be visiting again! Myexperience@troplv.com - Shelby

Reviewed 3 February 2014

When checking in to the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised with the new decor and unmatched service, which was the beast I have found yet in las vegas. Having been here in the past, which was dark and uninviting, the decor in the new tropicana was a south beach yet modern vibe. I especially liked the front desk and the pool area, which again was the best pool in las vegas. The pool area was surrounded by trees and plants, all of which were neatly taken care of. When checking into the room, I loved the new decor. My room had plantation shutters, a modern bathroom, flat screen tv and to top it off a amazing view of the strip.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank josephw490
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear joseph w,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed our renovations and had a wonderful view of the strip! We hope to see you next time you are in Las Vegas! Myexperience@Troplv.com – Shelby

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I love the Tropicana since Hilton took over. The chocolate chip cookies are great. I just stayed there this past weekend and it was my second time. The staff is friendly and attentive the beds are one of the best I have found. I stayed in the club tower spacious rooms and fairly quiet. The location is great especially if you are heading to MGM. I love the breakfast buffet and the omelet bar is my favorite. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank K L

Dear K L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed our restaurants and had a wonderful experience with us! Please let us know when you will be visiting again! Myexperience@Troplv.com – Shelby

Reviewed 3 February 2014

My first thought upon booking this room was that it indeed was older than I would have preferred. I knew that going into it, however it was the most convenient place to stay and I had heard that it had some large renovations completed recently. I wanted to give it a try.

Upon arrival I noticed that everything was so bright and inviting. Most hotel entrances and casinos are just heavy and dark and oppressing. The Trop (as the locals call it) was the opposite. Light from the large glass door permeated the casino area and there were bright LED lights all around. The walkway to the conference center allowed a view to the pool area which looked very inviting. My stay was in January so no one was enjoying the pool at the time, but I assume in the warmer months that this would be a wonderful place to be.

My room was very large with beautiful plantation shutters on the windows. The bathroom tile had been painted white and some of the paint had chipped up and needed to be repainted but it didn't bother me. The towels were very full and fluffy. The bed had a few miles on it but still was very comfortable. The pillows were the BEST of ANY hotel in which I had ever stayed. Maybe they were just of my specific taste but for me this was so exciting. Most hotels of any price have flat horrible pillows but the Trop had perfectly fluffed ones. I would return simply to sleep in the bed!

The restaurants were very good. I ate at the bar at the Biscayne one night and the food was excellent as well as artistic. I could have eaten all my meals there and I highly recommend it.

Overall my first reaction to the Trop being old was very short sided. I had a wonderful stay and will certainly stay there again at my earliest opportunity.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kerry S

Dear Kerry S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed the renovations and had a great time dining at Biscayne! Please let us know when you will be visiting again! Myexperience@Troplv.com – Shelby