“Solid Hilton Choice on the Strip”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #97 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
North Tonawanda, New York
“Solid Hilton Choice on the Strip”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

As Hilton Diamond members, we try to stay at Hiltons whenever possible, but our last experience at the Hilton Elara in Las Vegas was underwhelming at best. One of the main reasons I didn't love the Elara was because we received essentially no Hilton perks to make it any more desirable than other properties on the strip. So when we realized the Tropicana was now a Double Tree property and recently renovated, we were excited to give it a try, although I was a bit hesitant to stay that far south on the Strip. We booked the lowest level king size bed room using Hilton points.

Our cross-country flight arrived around 9am on a Friday morning, and we were pleasantly surprised with the short (ie, inexpensive) cab ride from the airport. We headed directly to the Diamond VIP check-in lounge, hoping for a miracle that a room would be ready for us. Being on East coast time, we were ready for a nap! Well, it was our lucky day because not only did they have a room ready for us, but we were upgraded to a King Suite on the 19th floor of the Club Tower! On a weekend stay! I was very impressed. The Club Tower is situated in the back near the convention center, so it is a little bit of a walk, but it was shorter than a lot of the other resorts on the strip.

The room was really nice and spacious, with a separate sitting room with a couch, tv, and counter seating area with a fridge and a Keurig coffee maker (no sink though). The bedroom was quite spacious with another flat screen tv, large closet, and a very comfortable bed. Around the corner were 2 sinks with lots of counter space, and then a rather small room that housed the toilet and glass-door shower. The lighting in the shower area was very dark and there was no option to just turn on the light without the fan which I found annoying. Everything was very clean and the two main rooms were very light and airy. Unfortunately our view of the airport runway was less than desirable.

One of the things I found annoying about the Hilton Elara was that there was no complimentary breakfast for HHonors members, because honestly, it saves us a lot of money on vacation. So I was happy to hear that we would receive a continental breakfast at the Tropicana. Well, it was better than Elara in that I received something to eat for free. However, it was in a dingy food court where you had to stand in a long line with exactly one cashier, who would have you pick 3 items from the continental breakfast list. No hot items were included, not even a hard boiled egg. So for 3 days I had a coffee, a hard bagel, and a yogurt. The fourth day, I couldn't take it anymore and begged my husband to take me to the Beach Café for their breakfast buffet even if we had to pay. It was so much better, with a made to order omelet station, plenty of other options including smoked salmon and plenty of fruit. They even made me a hard boiled egg. I wish that maybe this buffet could be an option to upgrade for $10 from the continental breakfast for Hilton members like I've seen at MANY other Hilton properties. It would have made my mornings so much more pleasant.

Speaking of food, we also ate lunch in the Beach Café on the day of our arrival and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of food and the service. We also had dinner one night at Bacio, the Italian restaurant on property, and greatly enjoyed that as well. There are so many great places to eat in Vegas but it was nice to have a few different options right on site when we didn't feel like going very far.

The casino was smaller than most, but smelled nice and fresh and felt less dark and imposing than most other places on the strip. The Tropicana also has a comedy club called the Laugh Factory, which you can get tickets for 2-for-1 if you join their players club. Something different to do! The location of the Tropicana on the strip was actually great- you are on the same corner as MGM, NYNY, and Excalibur, so you can walk to Excalibur quickly and take the tram down to Mandalay Bay, or take the monorail from MGM and go all the way north on the strip.

All in all, we were pleasantly surprised with the Tropicana and would definitely consider it for our next Vegas trip. I just hope they upgrade the HHonors breakfast options so I don't have to stand in line for a yucky bagel next time!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PittGrrl04
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear PittGrrl04,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us such wonderful feedback! Our guest's comfort and satisfaction is our number one priority and we are pleased we were able to make you feel at home. Next time you are in town please feel free to reach out to us! Myexperience@Troplv.com- Shelby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,667)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
PA
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I paid way more for this room than the room at the Riviera and was not impressed. Resort fee of $20 for crap I didn't use. There's no washer/dryer on site only dry cleaning. Room service was waaayyy over priced and it took an hour to get there. It was just a turkey sandwich and soda ($38). The rooms are average. Everything seemed rather new in it. NO FRIDGE microwave or coffee pot (things you find at every day comfort inn or holiday inns). Room was clean. Pillows were very huge and thick and not fluffy....kinda like a cotton log? The room was no better than your average quality/comfort/holiday inn. I wouldnt waste my money again here.

Dear squirrel444,

We appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I hope you'll accept our apologies for any discomfort we may have created during your stay. Although we strive to provide the best possible service and convenience for our guests, we appreciate you letting us know we have room for improvement. We hope that when you are in Las Vegas again, you'll give us a chance to make it up to you. Please feel free to reach out to me directly. Myexperience@troplv.com - Shelby
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We try to stay at different hotels every time we come to Vegas. We chose the Tropicana because we could earn Hilton points on our stay, and the location was close to places we had show and dinner reservations. Plus, who does not love free DoubleTree cookies? :)

Check-in was pretty painless, although they were claiming my reservation was not an advance purchase paid in full (which it was). I finally pulled up my HHonors.com account to show the receipt.

The hotel's "South Beach" theme is rather bland and the lobby has a dated feel to it (even though the hotel was just renovated). The casino is small, which gives it a more laid-back feeling. I could see the smaller casino being fun if you were with a group of friends.

The rooms were recently given a facelift, with some hints of the old, worn Tropicana still showing in some areas, despite the fresh coats of paint and new wallpaper. Overall, however, the updated room was very nice and clean, with nice furnishings. The plantation shutters were a nice touch, but my wife found it hard to block out all the light from the strip at night.

Housekeeping service was good for both nights we stayed.

If you are Hilton Honors Gold or Diamond member, you get a voucher for a typical continental breakfast. This is a nice perk, since eating in Vegas is no longer cheap. The breakfast goes until 11am, but if you get there much after 9:30am you can expect your pastry and bakery selection to be (VERY!) limited.

"Free" 512K speed internet is available as part of your "Resort Fee". If you want to upgrade to actual high-speed internet, expect to pay another $9.99 a night. No break for Hilton Honor members, even though Hilton always promotes "High Speed Internet is always free to our Hilton Honor Gold and Diamond Members" on the sign-in page at EVERY other Hilton I have been to. Most Hilton Hotels also waive the resort fee for high-tier honors members (including big tourist places such as Hawaii, London, and Miami)...but don't expect any such perk here.

We heard from some local friends that the lounge show at the Tropicana is one of the best "hidden gems" of Vegas, but unfortunately, we never got to see it. Otherwise, expect to leave the resort for any type of entertainment or decent restaurant choices.

Bottom Line...Sadly, not worth the free cookies :(. For the price we paid to stay at the Tropicana, we could have stayed at a dozen other hotels on the strip that have provided my wife and I with a better overall "Vegas" experience than what we found at the Tropicana.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JollyMon76
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Chris L ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you were able to enjoy your hotel room. I hope you'll accept my apologies for not meeting your entire expectations for the hotel. Your feedback is very important in helping us to improve in every way possible. If you would like to further discuss your stay please feel free to contact me directly. We hope to see you again! Myexperience@Troplv.com – Shelby
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The updates to this hotel are very nice, but it does not have a lot to offer. It was too cold for the pool, and all of the places to lounge were closed in February 2014. We were able to lounge by the pool at other hotels during our stay, and being from a cold climate, we welcomed the sun on this trip! So I was pretty bummed about it being so shut down. The room was clean and quiet, but the view was the airport. We slept well. But it just didn't have much to offer, I would not stay here again as other hotels have better restaurants, amenities, and views.

Dear Bailey N,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed the renovations and hotel room. I hope you'll accept our apologies for any shortfalls in your stay and we hope to see you next time for our pool season! Myexperience@troplv.com – Shelby
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I've walked by tropicana many times on my trips to vegas, never really too impressed and never went in. I heard hilton took over and recently my husband and i stayed. From the moment you walk in the doors- its first very clean, the staff are very friendly and you feel that your in a luxurious casino versus a run down one.
I do wish that they had a few more tables like three card just because it filled up soon, but the limits are low and the slots are plenty. The hotel room was clean, however some of the electrical plugs didnt work and if you need internet you need to make sure your on a high floor. the beds were comfy, overall impressed for the price

Room Tip: get a higher room due to internet, we were told that the higher you are the better the internet. we...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear MarisaJ324,

We appreciate the valuable feedback you provided us, our goal is to meet and exceed our guests' expectations and we are thrilled to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us! Please let us know when you will be visiting again! Myexperience@troplv.com - Shelby
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We had a city view non-smoking room...when we entered the room there was POOP in the toilet, HAIRS in the tub and an open water bottle. With the price we were paying we expected more!! There was NO coffee pot, NO microwave and if you wanted a refrigerator that would've cost an extra $20 a day!!!! The walls are thin and heard every police and ambulance siren all night long!! The bellboy even stood there with his hand out waiting for a tip! To make even worse, the hot water was gone by 8am, tried again at 10am and still no hot water. The TV stations don't come in and to rip us off even more the $20 a day "Resort Fee" added an extra $120 to our already expensive stay. I do NOT recommend staying here!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!!!! It's not worth the money!
2 Thank Evelynn M
Dear Evelynn M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We apologize that your stay fell short of your expectations, especially in regards to any unnecessary discomfort you may have experienced. Your feedback is very important as it allows us make any necessary improvements. We truly hope to have the opportunity to better serve you in the future, please feel free to contact me to further discuss your stay. Myexperience@troplv.com – Shelby
London, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2014

stayed at the Trop from Feb 6-8. Upon check in I was told that there were only smoking rooms available for the room type I had chosen. I mentioned that I had reserved a non smoking room but she said that she had no record of that. I was told I could wait 1-2 hours for a non smoking room, or take the smoking room for one night and then change in the morning. We had plans that night and didn't want to waste any of the evening waiting for a room to be ready. My partner informed her that due to allergies and asthma staying in a smoking room wasn't an option. She then looked some more on the computer and found a bungalow room available. We asked how much that would be and she at first said it would be a minimal difference in cost, but later said that there would be no additional cost. She also waived the resort fee. Okay, now things were improving. The room was a good size with a balcony overlooking the beautiful grounds around the swimming pool (no mini bar, fridge, microwave, or coffee maker). The only down side was that we were in an adjoining room without any way to secure the joining doors (there were no locks). We put the heavy chair in the room against the door (thankfully the other room was never booked during our stay). We didn't want the hassle of dealing with the front desk again. The bathroom was a good size but the water pressure in the shower could have been stronger and there was no bathtub. The bungalow section was conveniently located near the Beach Cafe and the Starbucks. The hotel itself is beautiful and so is the casino which is a lot brighter than most other casinos in Vegas. The location is fairly good with easy access to Excalibur (tram to Luxor and Mandalay Bay) and MGM Grand. Staying centre strip would be more convenient though. Would I stay again? Maybe, but would call hotel directly before checking in to verify my reservation.

Dear Jose S,

We appreciate the valuable feedback you provided us, our goal is to meet and exceed our guests' expectations and we are thrilled to hear you found the location and the layout of the hotel to be convenient. I hope you'll accept our apologies in regards to your preferred room type not being available upon check in. We hope to make it up to you on your next visit! Myexperience@troplv.com - Shelby