“Now treating Hilton Diamonds poorly/better places on strip”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #103 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 13 February 2014

When the Trop became a doubletree and I first stayed here I gave this property a five star review. Wish I could delete that review, because they now longer treat Hilton diamonds right.

There are places you can stay at that are nicer and cheaper on the strip (I just stay off the strip at the HGVC on Karen now and take the monorail), but stayed here becvause they waived the resort fee and gave a nice full breakfast to Hilton diamonds in the past.

They are no longer waiving the resort fee. The ONLY feature of the resort fee I used was the free wifi which is provided for free to Hilton Gold's and Diamonds at all Hiltons worldwide anyway. The wifi is veyr slow and even as a Diamond, you have to pay to upgrade the speed. It's a wasted $20 extra dollars a day. I am only Platinium with Harrahs and that is due to a credit card and they don't charge me a resort fee there. If Harrah's will waive the Trop shoudl waive theirs for their diamonds seeing we have to spend over 60 nights a year iuni Hilton properties for that status.

The final straw was the breakfast and being told they no longer upgrade diamonds, makes staying there useless at those rates and with a resort fee. They use to give a nice hot buffet in the beach club. Now it's a very poor continental breakfast in the food court and there is a long wait and it's the same place you get your doubletree cookie at.

There are plenty of better places that are cheaper on the strip.

If you don't mind staying just a little off the strip I really recomend the Hilton Grand Vacation Club on Karen. I get treated great there, 2 minute walk to the monorail if you don't have a car or if you do have a car plenty of fee self parking right outside the door and large modern rooms with fast internet and no resort fee. With the savings I experience stayign at the HGVC over the Trop, I save more than enough for a great breakfast every morning.

Room Tip: Book whatever room type you want to stay in because this hotel no longer gives upgrades to Hilton Ho...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Jamie P
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Jamesteroh,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We apologize that your stay fell short of your expectations, especially in regards to the dissatisfaction you experienced with our Hilton Honors amenities. Your feedback is very important as it allows us make any necessary improvements. We truly hope to have the opportunity to better serve you in the future! Myexperience@troplv.com – Shelby

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Being a Diamond member did not make any difference to the staff or the property. I got a free breakfast at a horrible cafeteria style restaurant. The lady who checked me in would not even entertain a room level upgrade for my Diamond status. I also feel she lied and said the hotel was full. It was clearly not full. Ive been in sold out hotels and there is far more people around especially for the number if rooms at this location. The pool was closed without any notice on the reservation or website. They told us to go to Hooters pool next door. We went there and it was definitely not a good recommendation. Hooters pool was not what I paid for. It was horrible. They also wanted to charge me a "Resort Fee". I watched my reservation VERY CLOSELY for that fee and it was not in my rate or reservation that I booked. Front desk lady refused to take it off. I had to take it up to a manager staff at the diamond desk. Very disappointing hotel and experience as a diamond member. This hotel clearly don't promote the Hilton value and respect for their HHonors members. Very disappointed in the hotel and the experience. There was also people standing outside with signs on public service announcements regarding the health code violations. Didn't make us comfortable sleeping or eating at the location. This is clearly not a hotel ran up to Hiltons standards.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
2  Thank Rick P

Dear Rick P,

We are disappointed to hear of your experience at our hotel and appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. The problems you mentioned were brought to the attention of our guest services department and have been addressed. We strive to provide efficient and exceptional service for our guests and we are deeply saddened to hear this was not delivered to you on your stay. Myexperience@troplv.com - Shelby

Reviewed 13 February 2014

As Hilton Diamond members, we try to stay at Hiltons whenever possible, but our last experience at the Hilton Elara in Las Vegas was underwhelming at best. One of the main reasons I didn't love the Elara was because we received essentially no Hilton perks to make it any more desirable than other properties on the strip. So when we realized the Tropicana was now a Double Tree property and recently renovated, we were excited to give it a try, although I was a bit hesitant to stay that far south on the Strip. We booked the lowest level king size bed room using Hilton points.

Our cross-country flight arrived around 9am on a Friday morning, and we were pleasantly surprised with the short (ie, inexpensive) cab ride from the airport. We headed directly to the Diamond VIP check-in lounge, hoping for a miracle that a room would be ready for us. Being on East coast time, we were ready for a nap! Well, it was our lucky day because not only did they have a room ready for us, but we were upgraded to a King Suite on the 19th floor of the Club Tower! On a weekend stay! I was very impressed. The Club Tower is situated in the back near the convention center, so it is a little bit of a walk, but it was shorter than a lot of the other resorts on the strip.

The room was really nice and spacious, with a separate sitting room with a couch, tv, and counter seating area with a fridge and a Keurig coffee maker (no sink though). The bedroom was quite spacious with another flat screen tv, large closet, and a very comfortable bed. Around the corner were 2 sinks with lots of counter space, and then a rather small room that housed the toilet and glass-door shower. The lighting in the shower area was very dark and there was no option to just turn on the light without the fan which I found annoying. Everything was very clean and the two main rooms were very light and airy. Unfortunately our view of the airport runway was less than desirable.

One of the things I found annoying about the Hilton Elara was that there was no complimentary breakfast for HHonors members, because honestly, it saves us a lot of money on vacation. So I was happy to hear that we would receive a continental breakfast at the Tropicana. Well, it was better than Elara in that I received something to eat for free. However, it was in a dingy food court where you had to stand in a long line with exactly one cashier, who would have you pick 3 items from the continental breakfast list. No hot items were included, not even a hard boiled egg. So for 3 days I had a coffee, a hard bagel, and a yogurt. The fourth day, I couldn't take it anymore and begged my husband to take me to the Beach Café for their breakfast buffet even if we had to pay. It was so much better, with a made to order omelet station, plenty of other options including smoked salmon and plenty of fruit. They even made me a hard boiled egg. I wish that maybe this buffet could be an option to upgrade for $10 from the continental breakfast for Hilton members like I've seen at MANY other Hilton properties. It would have made my mornings so much more pleasant.

Speaking of food, we also ate lunch in the Beach Café on the day of our arrival and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of food and the service. We also had dinner one night at Bacio, the Italian restaurant on property, and greatly enjoyed that as well. There are so many great places to eat in Vegas but it was nice to have a few different options right on site when we didn't feel like going very far.

The casino was smaller than most, but smelled nice and fresh and felt less dark and imposing than most other places on the strip. The Tropicana also has a comedy club called the Laugh Factory, which you can get tickets for 2-for-1 if you join their players club. Something different to do! The location of the Tropicana on the strip was actually great- you are on the same corner as MGM, NYNY, and Excalibur, so you can walk to Excalibur quickly and take the tram down to Mandalay Bay, or take the monorail from MGM and go all the way north on the strip.

All in all, we were pleasantly surprised with the Tropicana and would definitely consider it for our next Vegas trip. I just hope they upgrade the HHonors breakfast options so I don't have to stand in line for a yucky bagel next time!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PittGrrl04

Dear PittGrrl04,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us such wonderful feedback! Our guest's comfort and satisfaction is our number one priority and we are pleased we were able to make you feel at home. Next time you are in town please feel free to reach out to us! Myexperience@Troplv.com- Shelby

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I paid way more for this room than the room at the Riviera and was not impressed. Resort fee of $20 for crap I didn't use. There's no washer/dryer on site only dry cleaning. Room service was waaayyy over priced and it took an hour to get there. It was just a turkey sandwich and soda ($38). The rooms are average. Everything seemed rather new in it. NO FRIDGE microwave or coffee pot (things you find at every day comfort inn or holiday inns). Room was clean. Pillows were very huge and thick and not fluffy....kinda like a cotton log? The room was no better than your average quality/comfort/holiday inn. I wouldnt waste my money again here.

Dear squirrel444,

We appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I hope you'll accept our apologies for any discomfort we may have created during your stay. Although we strive to provide the best possible service and convenience for our guests, we appreciate you letting us know we have room for improvement. We hope that when you are in Las Vegas again, you'll give us a chance to make it up to you. Please feel free to reach out to me directly. Myexperience@troplv.com - Shelby

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We try to stay at different hotels every time we come to Vegas. We chose the Tropicana because we could earn Hilton points on our stay, and the location was close to places we had show and dinner reservations. Plus, who does not love free DoubleTree cookies? :)

Check-in was pretty painless, although they were claiming my reservation was not an advance purchase paid in full (which it was). I finally pulled up my HHonors.com account to show the receipt.

The hotel's "South Beach" theme is rather bland and the lobby has a dated feel to it (even though the hotel was just renovated). The casino is small, which gives it a more laid-back feeling. I could see the smaller casino being fun if you were with a group of friends.

The rooms were recently given a facelift, with some hints of the old, worn Tropicana still showing in some areas, despite the fresh coats of paint and new wallpaper. Overall, however, the updated room was very nice and clean, with nice furnishings. The plantation shutters were a nice touch, but my wife found it hard to block out all the light from the strip at night.

Housekeeping service was good for both nights we stayed.

If you are Hilton Honors Gold or Diamond member, you get a voucher for a typical continental breakfast. This is a nice perk, since eating in Vegas is no longer cheap. The breakfast goes until 11am, but if you get there much after 9:30am you can expect your pastry and bakery selection to be (VERY!) limited.

"Free" 512K speed internet is available as part of your "Resort Fee". If you want to upgrade to actual high-speed internet, expect to pay another $9.99 a night. No break for Hilton Honor members, even though Hilton always promotes "High Speed Internet is always free to our Hilton Honor Gold and Diamond Members" on the sign-in page at EVERY other Hilton I have been to. Most Hilton Hotels also waive the resort fee for high-tier honors members (including big tourist places such as Hawaii, London, and Miami)...but don't expect any such perk here.

We heard from some local friends that the lounge show at the Tropicana is one of the best "hidden gems" of Vegas, but unfortunately, we never got to see it. Otherwise, expect to leave the resort for any type of entertainment or decent restaurant choices.

Bottom Line...Sadly, not worth the free cookies :(. For the price we paid to stay at the Tropicana, we could have stayed at a dozen other hotels on the strip that have provided my wife and I with a better overall "Vegas" experience than what we found at the Tropicana.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JollyMon76
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Chris L ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you were able to enjoy your hotel room. I hope you'll accept my apologies for not meeting your entire expectations for the hotel. Your feedback is very important in helping us to improve in every way possible. If you would like to further discuss your stay please feel free to contact me directly. We hope to see you again! Myexperience@Troplv.com – Shelby

Reviewed 12 February 2014

The updates to this hotel are very nice, but it does not have a lot to offer. It was too cold for the pool, and all of the places to lounge were closed in February 2014. We were able to lounge by the pool at other hotels during our stay, and being from a cold climate, we welcomed the sun on this trip! So I was pretty bummed about it being so shut down. The room was clean and quiet, but the view was the airport. We slept well. But it just didn't have much to offer, I would not stay here again as other hotels have better restaurants, amenities, and views.

Dear Bailey N,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed the renovations and hotel room. I hope you'll accept our apologies for any shortfalls in your stay and we hope to see you next time for our pool season! Myexperience@troplv.com – Shelby

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I've walked by tropicana many times on my trips to vegas, never really too impressed and never went in. I heard hilton took over and recently my husband and i stayed. From the moment you walk in the doors- its first very clean, the staff are very friendly and you feel that your in a luxurious casino versus a run down one.
I do wish that they had a few more tables like three card just because it filled up soon, but the limits are low and the slots are plenty. The hotel room was clean, however some of the electrical plugs didnt work and if you need internet you need to make sure your on a high floor. the beds were comfy, overall impressed for the price

Room Tip: get a higher room due to internet, we were told that the higher you are the better the internet. we...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear MarisaJ324,

We appreciate the valuable feedback you provided us, our goal is to meet and exceed our guests' expectations and we are thrilled to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us! Please let us know when you will be visiting again! Myexperience@troplv.com - Shelby