“Inexpensive hotel with simple rooms, adequate service, and a good location”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #98 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Arriving late at night to Las Vegas, my girlfriend and I spent a night at the Tropicana to rest before heading up north towards Zion and Bryce National Park.

Overall, the Tropicana was a perfectly comfortable place to spend the night with newly refreshed rooms, adequate service, and a good location. Compared to some of the other properties along the strip, neither the amenities, general facilities, or casino stood out as being exceptional but given the price, I was happy to overlook this as I was simply looking for a place to spend the night.

The hotel is a short ten minute drive from the rental car center at McCarren Airport and features complimentary self-parking. The walk from the parking lot to the hotel was longer than expected, but arriving in the lobby I was pleasantly surprised by the south-beach like appearance and general positive upkeep. While there was a long queue to check-in, there was a short priority line for Hilton HHonors guests and it took just a few minutes before we were good to go. We were given a small upgrade to a corner room in the club tower which required crossing the casino floor, walking between the towers, and then heading up to the club rooms ... good for my Fitbit but less so for those with luggage.

The room itself was basic but clean, with several windows looking partially out to the strip but mostly across the parking lot to the nearby Hooters casino. The decor was beach-like, with shutters on the window that made it somewhat difficult to block out all of the light, but overall the room had plenty of space and was comfortable. The only disappointing aspects of the room were the slightly lumpy pillows and the lack of any bottled water in the room (even to purchase).

For those with Hilton Gold or Diamond status, complimentary breakfast is found at the small cafe located near the casino. A small selection of simple breakfast items were available to order although the whole experience of waiting in a long line and ordering off of a limited menu felt a bit tasteless and cheap ... which in many ways summed up the breakfast itself.

Checkout was a miss, with long queues everywhere. An express check-out box was on the wall so I gave it a go, but would have expected a receipt slipped under the door.

All-in-all, the Tropicana is a fine choice if you're looking for an inexpensive place to spend the night that is directly located on the strip. It was nice being able to check-in and take a short walk to see the nearby casinos but compared to the tall modern towers of the Aria, Cosmopolitan, or Wynn, even with a rebranding the Tropicana feels dated and almost out-of-place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aram K
There are newer reviews for Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights as part of a tour of Nevada/Utah/Arizona and California we had taken up the upgrade option to the Tropicana and so glad we did cannot fault it . The rooms were large, bright and very clean. Free wifi helped. We ate dinner and breakfast in the Beach Club restaurant, the quality of which was excellent. Breakfast buffet was first class with a choice of sausage, bacon, eggs, potatoes, tomatoes really a good choice of cereals, pastries hot and cold choices. Having had such a good breakfast we needed nothing else until dinner that evening. Dinner was also very good cannot fault it at all would recommend to anyone.
If returning to Las Vegas would definitely stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pat N
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Nickel and Dimed.. Not even one cookie per night.. $20 "resort" fee INCLUDES internet BUT the fine print is only 1 MB per day... How many people can equate 1 Mb into number of emails... Las Vegas, the town that never sleeps but DoubleTree closes the hot tub and pool at 9:30.... Good news is that the air conditioner worked when it was 113 outside. Survey categories are biased, why not a category between Average and VERY Good (Good???)

3  Thank Richard D
Reviewed 7 July 2014

As a resort the Tropicana may be ok, but as a Doubletree hotel it falls far short of my expectations. We arrived at 8 PM and my room was not ready. I had to wait an hour because they didn't have enough housekeeping staff according the woman at the registration desk. The desk chair is not adjustable and is at the wrong height for working at the desk. The TV is virtually unwatchable because of the intermittent digital signal. Even the internal Tropicana channels are broken up. The lack of staff apparently extends to the Beach Café where I chose to wait for my room to be prepared. It took a long time to be served and our order was incomplete when it was initially delivered. It took another 5 minutes for someone to bring the dressing that went with our meal. Throughout the week little things occurred that annoyed me. There's no phone within reach of the desk. I got a message that said I had a text message and I needed to call the front desk to retrieve. I pushed the front desk button and listened to 5 options, none of which had anything to do with retrieving a text message. So I chose to retrieve it by pushing the button for billing. It worked but not very intuitive. I was expecting a FedEx delivery. On Sunday I asked about picking up a package. I was told at the front desk that the Business Center would open at 7 AM on Monday. It turns out that was incorrect - they open at 8 AM. I returned to pick up my package which had been delivered to the hotel at 12:45. The Business Center was not staffed. I called the number on the placard that had been placed on the counter. It went to voicemail. I called the front desk. They said they would send someone right up. Twenty minutes later I called the extension on the placard. It was answered by a woman in catering. She said she would be right up. Shortly thereafter some guy showed up and I finally got my package. How can a Business Center that is only open from 8 - 5 be unstaffed for 45+ minutes in the middle of the day? My stay concluded the way it began - with disappointment. I had a telecon scheduled for 11 AM on the day I departed. I checked out before that and tried to connect with hotel wireless from Starbucks but neither my wife nor I could successfully connect to the internet. I chose the Tropicana because it was a Doubletree and my wife is a Mamma Mia! fanatic. We've seen Mamma Mia! Getting Hilton points will not be enough to make me want to return on my next business trip to Las Vegas.

2  Thank James B
Trop L, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear James B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay with us. We truly apologize for any shortfall in our service, particularly while trying to retrieve your package. Although we strive to provide exceptional service to our guests, your feedback helps us see where we have room for improvement. Please feel free to reach out to us directly to further discuss the details of your stay. GuestRelations@TropLV.com
- Guest Relations Team

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have stayed at several Hilton hotels and this was, by far, the least favorite. Though they have boasted of $200 Million of updates, the hotel still has the feel of one built in the 1950s. One colleague found a blood stained hand on his comforter. I found lipstick stains on my vanity. Bathroom decor and overall cleanliness was fair. Not one I would choose to stay at again.

2  Thank Gavin D
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I booked a cabana room with balcony overlooking the pool. Room 5350 at the end of the hall. Great pool view, very quiet, comfortable bed. Had a great nights sleep each night. The room was clean and neat. The Hilton Diamond Check In went very fast and efficient. I booked the summer splash package and although I did not receive the reserved seating poolside I was able to find a spot for plenty of sun. The pool area is great, the palm trees, grass and pool area are well taken care of. The bar staff on Friday morning was one person so it took a while to get a drink. Be ready to wave down a barmaid if your not at pool side. Overall a very nice pool area. The DJ, music and atmosphere are fun.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room during the summer stay in the cabana rooms. My room was very quiet and I s...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 6 July 2014

If you're on a budget and the amenities aren't huge on your list you should look into the Tropicana. It's conveniently located across from MGM where you can catch the tram which I highly recommend using. As soon as you walked in the entrance you were greeted with a stale cigarette smell due to the casino being so close to the door. We stayed on the strip side. The room was nice however it smelled like moth balls upon entering each time. The only noise we heard were the emergency sirens every 10 minutes. The 1 thing I did not like about the room was they only had shutters to close the windows, so early in the morning the sun seeped through making it hard to sleep. We went to the pool once during our stay with no complaints about it. The casino is quite small and nothing was won from it unlike the others. The hotel is located next to Hooters and a quick walk to Coco's which is a great place for breakfast in the morning on a budget! All in all this was a good choice for us. If we returned to Vegas, I would consider staying at the Tropicana again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple