“Can't be Trusted”

The Mirage Hotel & Casino
Ranked #50 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I decided to go all out for my vacation this year so booked "The Suite Life" package with The Mirage. It was definetly not sweet. The room was okay, 2 bedroom penthouse, but the pillows were horrible even with the pillow selection option none of the pillows were any good. The requests I made prior to arrival through the "concierge" were not completed because the "concierge" said that I would need to tell the front desk personnel upon check in to complete all of them. The ones the "concierge" could not seem to accomplish for me was blocking pay per view movies, room service, and removing the mini bar items not locked in the mini bar fridge. The one request that was accomplished was locking the mini bar. I have stayed at many hotels with and without concierges and advance requests have always been easily and happily accomodated, not here. The biggest failure was the limo to take us to the airport. The limo is part of the package I paid extra for. If I had booked the room through my mlife membership the cost would have considerably less but I wanted the perks in the suite life package so I paid more. Anyway, back to the limo issue. I had prior coordination with the "concierge" with email confirmation of pick up at the hotel at 730am. I confirmed with the VIP front desk the day before. Then the day of there was no limo. After considerable discussion with the valet crew who didn't even know what the suite life package was, I went back in to the VIP front desk and told them we had a problem and explained there was no limo. She looked at her list and said I was not on the list. I showed her the email, told her I had confirmed the day before so she looked at her "full" list. Then she said that the problem was the "concierge" who input the reservation last night put it for pm instead of am. She called to see if a limo was available then hung up and told me there were no limos available. I continued to stare at her so she figured out that was not an acceptable solution. Shen then said she would have to call and see if she could get permission to use another limo service. She got permission then got a limo booked. All of this cost me about 40-45 minutes resulting in rushing through the airport and not having an opportunity to eat breakfast before a series of flights with not enough time between them to eat either resulting in paying for the high cost snack on the plane, good thing we are not diabetic. I then sent an email to the email address on the email for check out that indidicated if I had any problems to send to that email. I told them the problems stated here and requested resolution. Their auto response email said to wait 7-10 business days and they would get back with me-they did not. Moral of the story, don't waste your money with any MGM resort properties, they are a corporation that does not care about their customers. If I had not requested to arrive at the airport 2 hours before my flight we would have missed our flight all together, they do not care and do not apologize for incompetence. STAY AWAY!!!

6  Thank JustvisitinK
Write a ReviewReviews (18,333)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

First time in Vegas and we were looking forward to our 5 night stay at the Mirage. Overall we were a bit disappointed with hotel with some tired looking decor and we appeared to have the remnants of some smeared blood on the wall outside our room (not too welcoming!). The room was given a perfunctory clean each day which kept it just the right side of acceptable but certainly not as sparkling as the lights on the strip. I appreciate the hardened gamblers among the clientele may well enjoy cigars and cigarettes as they lose their money but it's not too pleasant having to walk through a cloud of carcinogens to get to and from your room. The service was also rather poor. Our TV remote didn't work and were advised that someone would be with us in 'about 20 minutes'. An hour later we gave up waiting. On the plus side the hotel is well located, valet service was prompt, internet was stable and the Carnegie restaurant gives excellent value.

Room Tip: As always in Vegas the higher the better (and more expensive).
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Jenn K, Guest Relations at The Mirage Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

I am really sorry about your disappointing vacation. Please email me at TripAdvisor@mirage.com with your room number (I want to take a look at those walls) and contact information to discuss your visit personally. While I am glad you enjoyed Carnegie Deli (I LOVE that place), our wonderful valet staff and our convenient location, I wish the rest of your vacation had been as praise worthy. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed in a Penthouse, it was amazing. They treated me like royalty. The location is best for walking around and just hanging out in the hotel is a great time. The spa is really great too. It was so relaxing I forgot that I had a job somewhere else in the world.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gorfforth

You know you are having a good vacation when you can completely forget about work! I don't think I've quite yet had one of those yet...but I am thrilled you did here at The Mirage! I would LOVE to hear more about this amazing stay, so please email me at TripAdvisor@mirage.com if you want to share more details. I hope to hear from you!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This hotel is gorgeous. The beds are very comfortable. My only complaints are the pool was cold even though it was 111 outside ( my sons lips were turning blue after 1 hour) so we had to go do something else, and the walk from the parking garage to the guest room elevators is quite far. Next time we'll valet.

2  Thank Kat K

I am happy you had a wonderful stay in our beautiful hotel. I am so sorry about the pool temperature though...it must have been pretty cold to be that noticeable in this heat! I have shared your review with my director Jason (who has been assisting by the pool) and he will address immediately. I know fixing the issue now will not give you back your missed swim time, so please email me at TripAdvisor@mirage.com if you want to speak with me more about your disappointment. Again I am so sorry...but I would LOVE to hear from you!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The Mirage is one of the original "mega-resorts" on the strip, and at 25 years old, still a contender. We were booked for two nights in a regular deluxe room, but upgraded to a tower deluxe room for a nominal fee after I emailed guest services. We received a great corner room on the 24th floor, with views of the strip, the pool and habitat areas and even the Bellagio fountains. The rooms on the 24th and 25th floors have private elevators, which means no waiting and no stopping on your way up and down. It is a long walk to the end of the hall, but worth in terms of quiet and foot traffic.

At less than 400 square feet, the standard room can't compete with the "new" normal room size of 500+ square feet at many of the newer resorts. The layout and furnishings make the room feel very spacious though, so you don't really miss the extra square footage. Do yourself a favor, and spring for the tower deluxe rooms. The bathrooms are twice the size of the standard room and contain double sinks, a soaking tub and separate shower. The standard room contains a tub/shower combo and a single sink.

I would have loved to give the Mirage five stars, but there were a few small things that take it from excellent to just very good.

Our room was south facing and the HVAC just couldn't keep up with the heat that topped 110 degrees on the days we were there. The only vent in the room is next to the window, with the thermostat directly next to it. The combination of the heat, and the poor vent and thermostat location meant for a room that was several degrees warmer than the hallway, even with the temperate set on 64.

The mattress and pillows were soft to the point of being uncomfortable. Mattress and pillow firmness is subjective, I know, but we both woke up uncomfortable. We love the soft beds at the Aria, but our bed at the Mirage was a different, more uncomfortable kind of soft.

My last little ding is breakfast options. Mirage has some great dining options (which I will review separately), ranging from casual buffet and burgers, to the more upscale Heritage Steak and Portofino. The variety is diverse and you are likely to find something for every appetite. Just not for breakfast. Maybe we missed something, but the breakfast options appeared limited to the coffee shops, buffet, Carnegie Deli, and the Paradise cafe that doesn't open until 9 am during the week. Hopefully, the upcoming opening of Pantry later this fall will fill that gap. We ended up dining at the Paradise Cafe.

We enjoyed the Mirage. It is classic vegas and one of the top resorts on the strip. Great for vegas virgins and veterans alike.

Room Tip: Choose a tower deluxe room on the 24th and 25th floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aashleyjc

I am happy you enjoyed that Resort Tower King room! I am sorry though about the HVAC unit not keeping up with the Vegas heat, the uncomfortable beds and our lack of breakfast options. Please email me at TripAdvisor@mirage.com before your next visit and I can correct these issues on your next stay. I will request a bed board for your bed, make sure your A/C is fully functioning and provide you more details about The Pantry (it will definitely fill that breakfast gap). While I am this past visit was good, I look forward to making your next visit great!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husband and I recently spent the weekend at the Mirage Hotel. We came for a wedding. I remember when the Mirage first opened and it's still one of the nicest hotels you can stay in without breaking the bank. The rooms were very modern and the "Strip" view from our room was great. The wedding we attended was located in the hotel. Note to couples considering the Mirage for their wedding. Do not choose the patio venue! It's a rectangle type space surrounded by concrete with no canopies or an outdoor misting system. Not very comfortable when it's 90+ degrees! The other remark I wanted to make regarding wedding venues is that the banquet room that held the reception was very generic, very little decoration and absolutely no character. One more little gripe....A Kardashian store that sells Kardashian souvenirs, Really? I will stay here again, hopefully the Kardashian store will be gone when I get back!

Room Tip: Strip or pool view only. if you don't like your room go back down to check-in. They are very ac...
1  Thank taminflight

I am happy you had an enjoyable visit and congratulations to your friend or family member who tied the knot! I am sorry about the heat and banquet room though...I have passed your feedback on to our wedding coordination team. Did you happen to get the opportunity to see any shows or enjoy any of our restaurants while you were here? I would LOVE to hear more about your stay so please do not hesitate to email me at TripAdvisor@mirage.com. I hope to hear from you!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This was our first time to Vegas and we loved our stay at the Mirage! The staff was super friendly, we waited less than 10 minutes to check in/out. The pool staff was awesome and would clear spots on the weekends when it was super busy! The restaurants were all delicious with good pricing and friendly staff. The hotel room was spacious with a good view of the pool! We would definitely come back!!

1  Thank Heather H

I am thrilled you had a fast and easy check in and enjoyed our pool and restaurants! Was Paradise Cafe or Carnegie Deli amount the dining establishments you tried while here? They are two of my favorites! I would LOVE to hear more about your excellent vacation so please don't hesitate to email me at TripAdvisor@mirage.com. I look forward to speaking with you!