“lip stick on a pig”

Ranked #110 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Las Vegas
“lip stick on a pig”
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Very disappointed with the reopening of the hotel/casino. We are locals and decided to give the place a try. Upon arriving we found the exterior of the building filthy, the parking garage was filthy, the elevators from the garage to the hotel were filthy and the interior doors to the elevator all scratched up with graffiti. We waited over a half an hour in a line of two to get our room. Finally getting our key we spent the next 5 minuts looking for the elevator to get to the room in the south tower. The hotel elevator was old and the doors were scratched up like the garage elevator. When we got to our floor, the emergency exit sign was busted, the no smoking sign on our door had been pried off. The door squeaked terrible upon entering the remodeled room. The room looked really nice considering. There was a smell to the room that was almost unbearable. like the cleaning staff had dumped gallons of febreeze in it.. The light on the nightstand had no switch so we had to get out of bed, walk across the room to tun off the light and hope we didn't run into something on the way back to bed. There are too many things to write more negative comments on. It's really sad that the owners didn't take a little more time to complete the work properly before reopening the Plaza. As locals we try to support local business but this is one place we won't be returning to stay

6 Thank earle1231

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,142)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Jersey
Reviewed 30 September 2011

They are still actively working on the refurb here at the Plaza. If, and when, they finish the work this could be an outstanding property. The work that has been completed is beautiful. I'd say about 95% of my room was completed but what hasn't been done really detracts from what has been. They have this beautiful furniture, carpet, tile, and other fixtures from the never opened Fontainebleau installed next to crummy & dirty old peeling doors & fixtures. They had two nice new lamps on the night stands but it looks like they were designed to work on an outlet that is controlled by a light switch so there is no control on the lamp. The only way to turn it on and off is to use the plug. The other lamp didn't have an outlet anywhere near it. The elevators are still pretty funky including a great number of burned out floor indicators. If you can get a room cheaper than the Golden Nugget then it might be worth your while just recognize it is a bit of a construction zone still. I was on the 9th floor in the North Tower and the AC unit was a nice loud white noise generator. Another item not refurb'd. I agree with other reviews that that the parking lot is a bit sketchy. I think the fact it is over the Greyhound Bus station for LV isn't a big plus.

Room Tip: North Tower odd # rooms are on the back which is quieter. The lower even numbers front on the Fremon...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank CHCG-JEK

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I had really high hopes for the Plaza. We booked one night (09/24) because the strip was way overpriced because of a concert. The parking lot/garage is sketchy. As we walked in through the casino I was reminded of why I hated the plaza on our first trip to Vegas. Low ceilings and the worst ventilation ever. We finally made it to the check in desk. While we were the only people in line we stood there for ten minutes while the three reservations people tried to figure out the computer. We were given a room in the south tower and off we went.

Oh boy, let me start by saying I really had high hopes.

This hotel is not finished. Exposed ductwork, holes in the walls, and blue painters tape was everywhere. The doors are original and they are gross. There was mold on the bathroom door. The hallway door had to be kicked at the bottom to close. There are no comforters on the bed. The lights do not work. The worst part was the stink in the room. I could only describe it as must and mold. When I woke up my eyes were super swollen.

My advice, if you are going to stay downtown, stay at the Golden Nugget. This place is a pig, and no amount of lipstick will change it.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
2 Thank bridget1007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We just got home from our stay at the Plaza. I could not believe how GREAT this place looks after the remodel. BEAUTIFUL all the way!!! FIRST CLASS and as nice as the Golden Nugget.. Service was GREAT and you can tell that all of the long term employees that were called back are very proud of this casino and it shows. The new night club with the dualing pianos is AWSOME!!!! Just had a BLAST at the Plaza.. GREAT Place!!!! Glad to see one of the true LEGENDS In Vegas SURVIVE again....

Room Tip: All the "NEW" rooms are GREAT!!!
3 Thank JIMEVANS633
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Stayed at the Plaza in late August. Obviously the place is being renovated.

I've never stayed there before (although I stayed at the Golden Nugget before their renovation).

All in all it's a great downtown hotel. We (a friend and I, both male, early 30s) basically used it as a place to sleep, and a home base between the strip and downtown. Located right across from Fremont St., you can't beat the location.

We didn't eat at any of the restaurants (save a Subway late one night - I think).

We had a two queen bed room facing Fremont Street. Big and spacious (for downtown), although the bathroom was pretty small (vanity was outside in the shared area).

The only downside was the ice machines had not been installed yet, so if you wanted a bucket of ice you had to go down to the casino bar. A hiccup, but obviously they will eventually put ice machines in.

One the plus side, all of the staff was super friendly, and we even went into the future steakhouse and took some shots and sneakpeaks of the view and renovation in there.

The casino was more lively than most downtown. Probably because it's 'new.' Never had a problem getting a cocktail. Just tip a buck or so each time, and she'll keep coming back, everyone is happy!

In the future, if I stay downtown, I'll stay here over the GN. The GN's casino is WAY too big and spacious. It was a chore walking through to get to any attraction/restaurant. Might as well stay at the MGM Grand.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank dallastexas76
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Tried to check in and they had no record of my reservation which was made through a third party. After getting the company on the phone I gave the receiver to the front desk supervisor who immediately began to argue with and berate the csr on the other end of the phone and abruptly put that person on hold. This after me spending 30 minutes getting that person on the phone live. Of course he hung up. Went through the process again and in thirty minutes I had my reservation finally recognized by the hotel. I complained about this unnecessary delay to the manager Traci who was as belligerent as an African Hippo trying to protect its section of the river to which she promptly replied with a threat to remove me from the hotel. I just let it go considering it was after one am but was very peeved. Have never been treated that poorly ever by anyone at a place of business. Got to my room and behold the lamps have no on switch. The service guy who came to my room stated you have to plug in the lamps by hand and unplug them by hand to turn them on and off. Very logical. Anyway the reservation is cheap but the rooms suck and the service is worse so consider you get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Mark L
Rancho Mirage, California
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We recently stayed at the Plaza, the newly redone Plaza Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas. Let me start by saying, this place has enormous potential. Here's the reality for now....the bellmen, the maids, the casino workers are all very nice and I am sure really grateful to have a job in this rotton economy. The from desk workers don't seem to be quite so happy, they aren't rude but do not seem interested in what you may have to say, they are probably tired of hearing it because this place was not really ready to be opened. We were on the 5th floor, perfect view of Fremont Street, we literally could see all the way down the street and under the roof. Birdseye! When going to the room, we got off the elevator and there was a very peculiar smell, sour, whatever it was. We walked to the room but got confused, not all the rooms had their numbers on them, or they were missing numbers so when we got to ours I guess it should have been an omen that the only number left was 0!!! We had to ask a maid to be sure we were going into the right room. When we got in, yikes, non-smoking floor, but it really smelled like smoke, heavily. Oh well, it was for just one nite. The pics on the website show these gorgeous rooms, we didn't get all that gorgeousness in ours but the furnishings were very adequate, I just wish there had been some art on the walls and that we had a nice bedspread on the bed. I will say, the bed was very comfortable, better than the Aria. Good firm mattress, like I like. When we got back up to the room about 12.30, oh the loud music from a concert on Fremont St. We did get to sleep, don't know how, but when I woke up at 1.30 am, it was still going! Got back to sleep though and left mid-morning for the next 2 days at the Aria. Like I started out with this review, this place has so much potential and I will try it out again. The gambling was great, those machines at the Plaza were very loose and they gave me spending money for the rest of my trip. Maybe that's why it wasn't so bad.......

Room Tip: choose one away from Fremont St on the weekends!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends