“room renovations don't mask the bad condition”

Plaza Hotel & Casino
Ranked #110 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Honolulu
“room renovations don't mask the bad condition”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed because I received a free room and had not stayed downtown for a number of years. I normally stay on the Strip, so I needed to downgrade my expectations. Stayed on 2 separate trips in the south tower. The rooms were indeed renovated, so the beds were nice - flat screen TV small but OK. Walls still seemed a bit thin because I could hear a couple arguing next door, and a guy snoring on the other side. Please note that they do not give you blankets, so you need to call the front desk and wait 30 minutes for housekeeping to give you a lame excuse for a bed comforter. The room a/c unit seemed noisy, as was the bathroom fan. Drains were slow. Now that is the good. The parking lot is filthy and a bit scary, as the hotel parking lot is next to the greyhound terminal. The parking lot elevators were not working the first night I checked in late. The front desk is on the complete opposite end of the casino from the parking lot, so I learned the second time to check in first, then only lug my luggage from the parking lot to the nearby south tower. The casino always seemed like a ghost town on a Tuesday and on a separate Sunday night. There is a security desk near the elevators that you need to show your card key to access the elevator but it was never manned. Besides the renovated room, the only upside was the 24 hour McDonald's and 24 hour subways. Heard that Hash a go go and the pizza stand are pretty decent.

Room Tip: The south tower is the most convenient to the parking lot and the rooms in that tower were definitel...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
PlazaBest, Public Relations Manager at Plaza Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate that you took the time to let us know what we could do to make our property better for our guests. We have heard your request for better comforters and we are working on getting better, thicker ones for our guests, we have also ramped up security, and are going to be doing some improvements to the parking garage. The elevators have been an issue but, we are working closely with our elevator repair company to iron out all the kinks with them. We sure hope you'll come back and give the Plaza another chance. We are always working on improving.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
North Richland Hills
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We have stayed at the Plaza twice in the past year, and we enjoy it more each time. The new renovations are very nice, and the rates are good. The on site restaurants are fantastic - The Hash House (5 star) should NOT be missed!!!!! The negative reviews do not seem to be from the same hotel we enjoy.............. the staff is pleasant and helpful, and the Casino is a lot of fun! The beds are fantastic!!! There are certainly many more expensive hotels on the strip, but if you enjoy Freemont street and the true Vegas experience - this is the place to stay - clean, affordable and great service.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of Fremont Street - the lights at night are wonderful
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you Karen for such a nice review! We agree, Hash House is awesome! We hope you will be back really soon.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The homeless hang out here, in the "gym" (which consists of one treadmill, and two ellipticals, one which was broken and some weights), the front lobby they sleep, sit in the area for morning coffee from McDonalds, and roam the elevators - because no one is sitting at the elevator to check keys. My first room the TV only received 6 channels, when I called I was told to not to expect channels I would normally get at home. Please do not assume I get Direct TV at home, and also please do not assume that I watch Foxnews (which was the only news channel that tv received - the others were info-mercials) I was furious and emailed management, who right away called me asking what they could do to rectify this. I REALLY did not want to switch rooms, such a hassle to repack then unpack - but I agreed. However, my new room wasn't ready before 11am so we left and had to switch when we returned at night. Do not bother calling the front desk, you'll be put on hold for 20 minutes until an operator answers just to put you on hold again. Usually I stay on the strip when I come to Vegas, and thought this time would be fun to stay on Fremont - and at the newly renovated Plaza Hotel! I'm always one to support new growth, and trying to re-identify. My stay was pure torture, and I am beyond elated to have checked out, and head home. Last night I even called for new towels, and some k-cups, it took over an hour for them to be brought up (after I sat on hold again for 20 minutes), and since we still are on east coast time we were in bed when the guy knocked. So it took me a little longer to answer the door, my fault. But when I thank you for the stuff, acknowledge that, and say you're welcome - don't just shove it in my hands, drop a k-cup, and take off. I am not sure why this is just snowballing unto us. We travel a lot, I travel personally a lot, and the service was terrible. No words can express my sincere disappointment. Then, while we are checking out we're hit with resort fees - 2 separate ones for each day.

Also, do not, I repeat do not go to the Exposure Salon for any kind of hair treatment, or any treatment at all, On the day of our wedding (yes, we got married in Vegas during this horrible time) my wife got her hair and makeup done. The stylist ran late, and we were told it would take an hour and half, it took two and a half hours - we were late for the ceremony, missed our ride from our friends who wanted to see our ceremony but had to get home to LA. We also had to take a $40 taxi ride because the ride had to go. My wifes eyelash extensions fell off before she even made it to the room (I have a time stamped photo of the eye lashes in my hands). When called to say she wanted her money back because her hair and makeup were not complete but we HAD TO GET TO OUR WEDDING - they told her too bad, she seemed happy. Hello, did you expect her to just leave at not pay? The manager there - Matt - told me he was "choosing his words very carefully when speaking to me, and that he stood by their work" He also said "Listen, sir" surely not a way to address a customer - and he wouldn't give me his managers name, and told me to contact hotel management for that.

I PLEAD with you, stay far, far away from this place!! You will be treated as a nuisance and lesser human being. Spend the extra $3 a night and stay at the Golden Nugget, or the D, which appears at the time of writing this review is $11 a night?! Crazy, and so much nicer. I've reached out to Plaza management, and it has been 12 hours and still no response regarding this terrible experience. If I do hear from them, I would be happy to post their response. But as of right now, they don't care - they took my money, and abused me in the process.

1 Thank Lee C
Hi Lee, thank you for your post. We are working diligently on remedying many of the issues you had on your stay. We are ramping up security, and We will be forwarding your review to the salon. We appreciate your insight so we can do what we can to improve our guests experiences. We do hope you will reconsider and give us a chance to make a better impression.

Travellers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 30 November 2013

There are better places to stay and gamble downtown. The only real reason to go to the plaza is if you are signing up for the players card for the first time and get the $100 rebate or if you are going to the Hash House A Go Go. Despite the renos the hotel still appears to be worn out. The room was very basic and you can get better down the street.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 29 November 2013

looks, location aside, this is the bomb!
Within a stroll of the newest vegas happenings!
Second time at the smoke filled casino hotel, that said, I was upgraded to a "mini suite" that was awesome! Upgraded? on a holiday weekend no less! Yippy! Wet bar,fridge($20 extra a night normally), walk in closet, wall mounted TV ( itsy, bitsy, 32"?, just a bit small for the size of the room, which was HUGE)Furnishings are WAY nicer than you would expect
FYI on getting upgraded.....
BE NICE!
DRESS NICE!
ACT LIKE YOU ARE AT YOUR GRANNY'S!
don't
1)haul your kitchen/fridge behind you
(make you ice chest LOOK like a piece of luggage)LOL
2)be rude, even if things get bad
3)TREAT the person behind the counter with respect!

Fantastic eats abound.....
POP UP PIZZA
Hash House A-go-go
The bad......
Little things, rips in wall paper, huge scratches on the doors,light bulbs out, just maintance issues, really
As a friend once said, "We just can't have nice things"
Sort of sums this place up, nice stuff in a double wide!

Room Tip: be nice, even #rd rooms in the south tower face the strip, great view from rooms above 12th floor...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank fancysky
PlazaBest, Public Relations Manager at Plaza Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Rich uncle's double wide? Haha! We are glad you liked staying at the Plaza and appreciate that you are encouraging guests to be nice. Most are for sure, but it is a great reminder. Hope you come back and stay with us really soon!
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We read that this hotel had been updated, so we booked it and the rates were on par with other fremont street propertys. Casino is as dumpy as before the remodel, freshened up the initial reservation desk area, kind of walled off the exsiting McDonalds, added newer tile, Etc. The rooms got new beds and fresh paint, the furniture is contemporary but not useful, The bathrooms are the same, a bigger person would have a really hard time getting door closed to sit down. Super smallest ever been in. Walls are paper thin, Elevaters are original Equip, hallways got new carpet, all room doors are the originals with new paint and Electronic door knobs. First night the room stunk of previous patrons hair products on beds and pillow cases, 2nd night the local gang lords were argueing it out in hallways from 4:00am till sun-up. 3rd night the soda machine quit vending and the sink in the bathroom quit draining. Not a complainer, have stayed in vegas like 15 times, dont put much into the rooms, just require clean,quiet,decent accomadations..They missed this remodel by a Las Vegas Mile. Wont stay again,

2 Thank renobob7
PlazaBest, Public Relations Manager at Plaza Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Hi renobob- since your review we have fixed the vending machines and added more security staff. Thank you for your review.
Sutter, California
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I was concerned based on reviews, but our entire group was staying here. I was pleasantly surprised. From the moment I pulled up in front of The Plaza, I was treated with respect and consideration. A man opened the door for me. The hotel desk personnel was extremely helpful and informative. The valet that parked the car helped me with my luggage to the door. He was very friendly. Everyone in this establishment greeted me with a smile. The room was clean and comfortable. My only objection was the train yard when the freight train came through. Some things can't be helped, tho. Also, The Plaza is across the street from the Fremont Street Experience. Yes, my husband and I will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank PattyGecko
Patty, we are so glad you had a nice experience at the Plaza. We look forward to you staying again! Thank you for your review.