“Riverside is like home to us”

Don Laughlin's Riverside Resort
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Laughlin
Reviewed 12 February 2007

Just got back from Laughlin. Spent four nights at Riverside. Called them and was comped the four nights as we go there about every year. The room was clean but the coffee pot didn't work. I called housekeeping and within 20 minutes a maintance man was there with a different coffee pot. The last a.m. I noticed the housekeeper forgot to leave us coffee so I called housekeeping and within 10 minutes she came and brought us 6 packages of coffee. The bed was confortable and pillows, I actually thought was fine.{this is my bigest problem, is hard or hugh pillows}. We had a nice room with a balcony overlooking the river. The slots were tight but I think that is the case all over. Twice we ate at the cafe in the morning and once at the Prime rib room and they were both fine. Also took in Debbie Renyolds Show which was worth the small fee they charge. This is not Vegas, but has far has i see the rooms are about the same and so are the slots. Just not the huge crowds and glammer. If you want to relax and enjoy the nice weather and scenery, go to Laughlon.

6  Thank S.D.Rushmore
Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed 16 November 2006

After reading other's reviews, I was worried about the Riverside. We stayed for four nights...the rooms were the generic motel rooms but our's was clean and the bed was comfortable. Our view was fantastic. Most of the food that I had there was awful except for the Prime Rib Room which was very good. The casino in the older tower was dark, smoky and not very inviting. The casino in the newer tower (where the 99 cent margarita bar is located) is the nonsmoking casino...much more airy, light and inviting. Didn't see anyone "hitting" on the quarter or dollar machines but the penny machines seem to be hitting enough that you could play for awhile. Our deal was fantastic so for the money, it was pretty good.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
6  Thank RaceHorseLady
Reviewed 10 October 2006

The only thing this Casino/Resort Hotel has going for it is the owners name and the fact that the man founded the town. If it were in Vegas I'm sure it would have come down a long time ago. The place stinks and is very musky and depressing. You won't forget who the owner is for the fact that every time you turn around it is thrown in your face, Beer, Bobble Heads, TV Monitors everyewhere in the place. He is just a little man from Rural Minnesota who made it somewhere in life. The place is dark and dank, very 70's. I was expecting to see Sammy or Dean come around the corner at any time. It would make a very good backdrop for a movie setting for a period movie. Everything you desire, you have to pay for. No Comps, No Freebies, Hell I even had to pay for an Internet connection in my room. It cost me $20.00 bucks for a week. I don't even pay 20 bucks a month at home. The payback percentage was VERY VERY poor, I dropped 2 Grand in the first 4 days and didn't make a single dollar back. I know it's called gambling but I would expect a little something back for my hard earned money. You need to accumulate 1000 points on your card to get a measley $10.00 back. In a casino some 40 miles from us all you have to accumulate is 300 points for $10 back. The key card for your room has his picture on it and if you don't return it upon check out you have to pay the $4 deposit on it. What an EGO. We visted alomost every other Casino in Laughlin while we were there for the week. We were treated as more of a guest and visitor in every other place we went to not as an inconvenience as we were at the Riverside. If I ever go back to Laughlin ( Highly unlikely) I will make sure I make reservations anywhere else, (maybe even the homeless shelter). If your planning a trip to Laughlin, Please stay anywhere you wish but don't waste your money here......

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
14  Thank bruster
Reviewed 1 October 2006

Thought we'd give the Riverside another try now that the children are older (teenagers). In that respect it was adequate, plenty for them to do (movies, bowling, small arcade). If you are older than 17 give it a pass and head to Vegas or places near Hoover Dam. It was soooooooo smokey, dirty, terrible payback and if you like comps...forget it. The food is forgettable and the casino depressing. Checked into our room; small things wrong (balcony door doesn't work, no batteries in remote, out of date, basically below average) which wouldn't matter if everything else was acceptable. Drunken arguments in the hallway at 2 a.m.; daughter bitten by a spider (or something) while sleeping; dried out food in the buffet, brown lettuce in the restaurants, and everything overpriced for a resort that wants to attract people from Vegas. If you ever received comps at someplace like NYNY in Vegas, the ones here were very disappointing. Read their fine print before you go and ask questions. On a positive note the auto museum is nice and the guest rooms are cold. All in all a very disappointing and expensive weekend. We will not be going back.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13  Thank cdcce
Reviewed 24 August 2006

We stayed at this hotel in september 05 and was amazed with the place no one could ask for more the staff were marvelous and made sure you got everything you wanted and the bedding and towels were luxury themselves we were inroom 2199 for two nights then we were so impressed we were travelling to yuma next day and had rooms booked but went back to this place for one more night the following day we went into the casino each night and i came out winning!!!! the drinks they gave free were brilliant and by the last night i was hooked on the margeretas we were in no smoking rooms and had corner suites overlooking the colarado we visited the car museum,How Do They Get All Those Cars Up There??? amazing place Try the eat as much as you like buffets around for $4.99 FANTASTIC would definatly go again!!!! P.S Visit the Bowling Alley!!!

Stayed: September 2005
14  Thank Denise221056
Reviewed 4 April 2006

Stayed at the Riverside one night, 04/01/06, to see a concert by Collin Raye in the Celebrity Theater. We didn't gamble at all as the casino has a smokey and dingy feel. Plus, the drinks you get while gambling are so small you have one or two swigs and you already need another one. I feel like all the stores lining the casino takes away from the gambling feel. The stores should be separate from the gaming areas in my opinion. Even the non-smoking casino area in the south tower feels dingy to me. We had terrible service at the mexican restuarant, Casa Serrano. We could never get the waitress, our order was wrong, and the food wasn't that great. The movie theater is ok but again the service was poor, the ticket person gave us tickets to the wrong movie. Popcorn is topped with oil butter flavor topping while Brenden Theaters at AVI Casino uses real butter. Plus, Brenden Theaters at AVI is so much nicer as they are really new with stadium seating. The Riverside hotel room was ok and fairly clean but the towels are thin, the furniture is definitely worn and the beds are uncomfortable. However, it was definitely adequate for a one-night stay. We had a non-smoking room in the south tower and it did not smell of smoke. The sliding door wouldn't shut all the way so we heard traffic noises from the street all night. We went to the night club, Lightening Strikes. It was ok with a DJ but I thought the $10 cover charge was steep, especially when you didn't even get to hear a live band. Granted it was crowded as it was rodeo weekend, the service wasn't too bad. Overall, the Riverside was ok but I prefer to stay at the Golden Nugget in Laughlin and probably won't stay at the Riverside again. See my review of Golden Nugget dated June 7, 2005. Golden Nugget has recently refurbished their rooms with furnishings from the GN in Vegas and they're updating their restaurants so it is my hotel of choice in Laughlin. I would only choose to stay the Riverside again in a pinch but it may certainly meet your needs for a short stay.

Stayed: April 2006
13  Thank luvegas
Reviewed 1 April 2006

Just returned from a 4 night trip yesterday.
A little background, We go to Vegas at least once a year and alway's stay downtown..We go to gamble, Do not care for the shows, etc...
On to the Hotel, Great room 14th floor south tower. All non-smoking. King bed small table with 4 chairs. Big double door overlooking the River..Great view. Bathroom was very nice and rather large. Room was very clean, NO stains, nice 24" TV.
Casino.. South casino is ALL non-smoking, A big plus for us the do not smoke. Very clean and was nice and bright. North casino was also very clean, a little more dingy in area's. Had one spot that I played VP that did have a musty odor..
Cocktail service was excellent. Drinks were in small glassed with too much ice, But server's were quick and very friendly. Did not have any problems with the staff, all seemed friendly and helpfull..
Food was very good, We received comps for all our food. Ate at the Prime Rib room, food was good and service was good. Ate a couple of times at the Riverside resteraunt and it also was good..Nothing special but good..
What was neat aboout the Riverside was all the other things to do.. They had a lounge with "Live bands" every night. The bowling alley, Movie theater.
WE loved the riverwalk. Was nice to walk "at all hours" of the day to most of the casino's.. The places were all busy,,BUT not overly crowded like Vegas.. The traffic was very little..I would recommend Laughlin to anyone, and would say the Riverside is just fine.. We will definately be back. I wish I could cancel my Vegas trip and come back to Laughlin...

Grif.. Thanks for the help,,, Wish I was closer to retirement, as I would have looked for a house.

• Stayed: March 2006
17  Thank akfan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laughlin
Aquarius Casino Resort, BW Premier Collection
#5 of 14 in Bullhead City
Harrah's Laughlin
Harrah's Laughlin
#1 of 11 in Laughlin

Been to Don Laughlin's Riverside Resort? Share your experiences!