“dirty hotel”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Laughlin
Yucaipa, California
“dirty hotel”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Our room was filthy, mainly the floors even in the bathroom, but also the walls, the shower, the paperwork in the room which made me wonder if any of it was really clean. After that first night I called housekeeping, because we only had 3 bath towels and we had 2adults and 2 kids, and asked them to bring me one more bath towel and if they could just clean the floors because they were really dirty. We spent the day on the river and when we got back the maid was obviously there but not extra towel and floors still dirty.
I won't be staying there again. We usually stay at Harrah's because my husband likes it there but I think that hotel is dirty and run down. That is why we tried Aquarius. On to the next hotel

Room Tip: Maybe the more expensive rooms are cleaner
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ajscarlet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (798)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2014

OK, let’s get this straight: the Aquarius Hotel is not the worst dive in Nevada. It’s modern (for Laughlin), clean and fairly well maintained. Having said that, this place does not live up to its self-proclaimed billing as the best hotel on the river. On the contrary, it’s over-rated, over-hyped and (in my recent experience) an aggravating disappointment.

When I reserved, the phone agents talked a great game about the quality of the Aquarius vs. the other hotels in the area. But I began to smell a rat after getting an email confirmation that gave the room rate for only the first night of my 5-night stay. When I called back and asked to have a statement for all 5 nights, I was told sorry, our system can't do that, but we’ll dictate the prices to you on the phone so you can write them down longhand. Huh, in this day and age, you can’t email prices??? Oddly, when I checked into the hotel, one of the first screens to which I had to agree had all the prices on it and I couldn't proceed with checking in till I consented to these prices. As the system times you out rapidly, I did not have time to get out my handwritten notes. Funny how that worked: the hotel could sure produce these prices when it was convenient for them, but oddly enough, not when it was convenient for me the customer.

The price thing wasn’t the only part of check-in that made me nervous, either. We arrived at the designated advertised check-in time of 2 PM but were told no rooms were available yet for new arrivals and that we needed to kill a few hours. This was on a Wed., hardly the busiest day of the week. I began to get apprehensive ; all these little things were just not consistent with the much-ballyhooed customer experience that I was expecting.

We were assigned to Room 18082 and the north view was great. While the room overall was nice, it had some very annoying oddities. In particular, the bathroom toilet paper dispenser was too close to the toilet to be useful. I mean, there was literally no room in which to grab the grab the TP, the space was that tight. Not a big deal, I guess, if you didn’t plan on using the toilet for 5 straight days. See the photos attached to this review to see what I mean.

On our second day, I made a trip to the front desk to inquire if I could get a document scanned and the file emailed to me. I was told yes, just come by the front desk any time and ask. I came by the next day and I was told no, we don't do that. I explained what I was told the night before and after some checking I was told yes, we do do it, but you'll have to wait for a manager and that will take a long time. So the same question, asked 3 different times, got 3 different answers. I'm sure I would have received many more answers if I had asked more people. I wasn’t annoyed because the hotel didn’t offer the service; I was annoyed because the front desk told me it did offer the service when it (apparently) didn’t. I would have arranged my day much differently had I been given accurate information when I first inquired. I lost half a day because I had to re-arrange my afternoon, rush to Staples in Bullhead City before they closed, then wait another full day for the post office to re-open. I missed several appointments because of this last minute running around. At that point, I began getting pretty frustrated with hotel’s levels of staff training and customer service.

With 2 days to go in my stay, I wrote down some of my frustrations on a yellow comment card and submitted it. There was ample opportunity to respond while I was still staying at the hotel but clearly management had little time for customer service issues. When I got home I filled in a web survey and stated the same frustrations. I was told in both surveys that I’d get a speedy response to any concern but 6 months later still not a peep. (Yes, I waited that long to post this review in order to give the hotel every opportunity to get back to me.) Does the Aquarius care about the customer experience? You be the judge.

But the fun didn’t end with the non-response to my yellow comment card. On checkout day the housekeeper was in our room when we returned from breakfast. Yes, that’s right, cleaning our room early on a check-out day, slowing us down and getting in our way while we were trying to pack and vacate. How very convenient. We told her we were checking out and she said thanks very much, went into the bathroom and continued cleaning. We repeated that we were checking out and she finally figured out that we were checking out. All the towels and soap had been replaced so we had to open up new product and, being considerate people, not dry our hands so as to not soil the next guest’s towels. Maybe this is the Aquarius strategy for delaying guests and collecting late fees? (Sorry, couldn’t resist.) But seriously, it was sad to see that the inconvenience continued right up the last minute. If there was one thing the Aquarius knew how to do during our stay, it was to annoy customers.

If you like disinformation, inconvenience, frustration and a remarkable potty experience, this is definitely the hotel for you. If you’d prefer plain old good service at a more down-to-earth price, check out the competition on the river. You won’t go wrong. I’ll NEVER be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank septyandcindy
Halifax
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Checkin was quick but with tobacco smell hitting you as you walk in to foyer and a little off putting. Overall the room did what was expected and had a fantastic nights sleep. The room was however tired with paper coming away from wall and toilet leaking (and bath tap dripping).
As a stop over - it fullfills whats required but wouldn't want to spend a long time there.
Handy McDonalds, Panda and Subway in foyer + tennis and swimming pool on 3rd floor!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Crazysurfkid
kent
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We booked for only 1 night and having read the reviews expected a few issues but I was wrong.
We checked in straight away and had a lovely room, a corner room infact so we got a great view of the river, sun rise was gorgeous.... You can guess were not great gamblers!!
The room itself was clean, spacious and more than anything I was expecting!!
Infact I have no complaints at all, although we didn't gamble, the casino looked busy and we ate at the steak restaurant on site which was really really good...the waitress we had was fab!!
Obviously this is our experience, but for the cost it was well worth it!!!
One more thing.... No smell of smoke!

Room Tip: We were on either the 6th/7th floor, corner room with great river view... 7070 I think!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cazza32
Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Although we have visited Laughlin many times, and have played in the Aquarius casino, this was our first stay at the resort. We were there for a Three-Card Poker tournament, which was nicely run and we enjoyed it very much. Our room was a pleasant surprise: clean, good use of space, and everything worked correctly; possibly the nicest room we've had in Laughlin. The bed was comfortable and the A/C was quiet and effective. The casino is fairly typical, although we did have pretty good luck on the slots. We didn't have an opportunity to use the pool (there was a spate of clouds and rain), but it looked like we would have enjoyed it. The restaurants range from a simple Duet coffee and wine cafe up through the upscale Vineyard that has a beautiful view of the river and a very nice menu. Some of the other popular casinos are within easy walking distance, as well as a shopping mall and movie theater. The resort staff was friendly and helpful; our questions and requests were always handled promptly. This may have been our first stay at the Aquarius, but I expect we will be repeat customers!

Room Tip: River facing ones have the best view, but you aren't likely to spend much time in your room at a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Robert A
Arizona
Reviewed 5 August 2014

A clean room is nice, but I don't feel the experience was worth it. The buffet was nice but avoid the crawfish (heartburn). The carpets were worn and a lot of families showed up on Friday. In other words the place is not for older people. Just average.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank mjb25
Orange, California
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This place use to be nice now it's dirty, see pics. We stay here only because we don't have to use an elevator to stay on the 3rd floor since this is the place that ruined elevators for us since we got stuck, anyway back to how dirty it is we checked in to what is called an upgrade room (since it's the pool floor.. Noisy as heck). I jump in the shower to find a wad of BROWN hair wound up on the shower wall(wife is blond and I'm bald). The other dirty dirty is my feet look like I walked outside with no shoes due to the carpet being so dirty, another kicker no more refer in this UPGRADED popcorn ceiling room. Very disappointed!!!!

Room Tip: Don't get the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Matt A

Travellers are raving about these Laughlin hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laughlin
Colorado Belle Hotel & Casino
Harrah's Laughlin
#1 of 11 in Laughlin
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,303 reviews
Edgewater Hotel & Casino

Been to Aquarius Casino Resort? Share your experiences!