“Nope, never again.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Little Roc
“Nope, never again.”
Reviewed 19 September 2003

Although we had gambled briefly at Harrah's back in May (didn't stay long - thought the slots weren't very good), when Harrah's offered us a deal on the Denver casino junket, we decided to give it a try. First, the good. The hotel rooms are beautiful. They compare to the Golden Nugget and other high quality hotels in Las Vegas. And they are spotless. Even though we were on the West side of the hotel, it didn't matter - the room was delightful, the bed very, very comfortable, the bed linens top quality and the room and bathroom spotless. Also, the corridors are not so long that the treck to the elevator only takes a minute, even from the end of the corridor. Now, the not so good. The day we arrived (Friday), we went up in a South Town elevator. There were several rolled up pieces of paper (trash) in the corner. On Monday morning, the paper was still there. The elevators hadn't been cleaned in 4 days! Then there was the buffet. Although some of the seafood was good, for the most part, the food was mediocre and the buffet pans were often empty for extended periods of time. Also, the buffet pan areas were covered with dried food and rarely cleaned. Nor were the glass protectors clean - smudged and dirty looking. And, we can only describe the buffet as a hog trough - endless, hundreds of people shuffling back and forth, and if you were sitting near the buffet, constant whacking of the table and chairs made eating hard. Next, Cabo's. They have a great deal with steak and eggs for $5.99 from 11 PM to 6 am. The steaks were terrific, and the entire breakfast excellent. However, the first morning we arrived (around 5:30 am) there were masses of servers flitting around (few customers) and they were just full of gab and laughter. So much so, that no one came to our table for 15 minutes.
Also, the glass separating tables were filthy - food, fly specks, streaks - ugh. Bottomline, the hotel and restaurants badly need some housekeeping updating - remember, this doesn't include the hotel rooms, they were spotless. Now to the gambling. I can't speak for the table games, but the slots are very, very tight. Endless people on our flight said they played both high limit and dollar and quarter slots and lost and lost. We played nickels, quarters and dollar slots and they were awful. We never won on a single machine - not even $20. Harrah's now has penny slots - which are laughable - they are actually 2 cent machines and again, very, very tight, and actually boring and outdated.
We saw only 1 person playing there the entire weekend. As we were on a junket, we had been told we should do the bulk of our gambling at Harrah's, but after losing several hundred dollars the first night and first early morning, we said the heck with it and went to other casinos up river. Which brings up Harrah's isolation. It's a good, long walk to the nearest casino - through parking lots and along dusty roads. Other ways to get out are the water taxis (if they are running - if the water is low, they don't run) and regular taxis. Harrah's is not connected to the river walk, so you either walk or pay to go elsewhere. For us, the gambling was so bad at Harrah's, it was worth paying to go elsewhere.
There is good and bad about Harrah's - good - the hotel graciously supplied buses to the Bullriding going on in town, at no cost - so convenient. The bad - more cleaning needed, better food in the buffet, and updated, modern slot machines. The slots, compared to Vegas casinos, and even our local Black Hawk casinos, are very, very outdated and far too tight. We'll go back to Laughlin, but not to Harrah's.

11 Thank LindaK710

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,728)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 10 September 2003

Stayed 2 days at Harrah's Laughlin, Sept 1-2, 2003. Rooms were comped due to previous play at Rio - Las Vegas (part of Harrah's chain). Room Location was excellent - on river, view of mountains, next to elevators and ice machine. At bottom of elevators you had McDonalds, Baskin Robbins & Cinnabon - for a fast grab of some grub.Rooms are typical- standard box with 2 beds - but clean & they had an ironing board! Staff was very courteous.Yes there were kids but you have to expect that considering Harrah's is the only hotel with its own beach - they also have walkways along the beach with little alcoves and umbrella tables for you to sit and relax at. They have 2 pools - One is for adults only & the other for kids. Different locations.Bartenders at 25 cent video poker bar were the best - as a matter of fact out of all the bars in Vegas and Laughlin - Harrah's knows what it's doing when it comes to bartenders -The Rio -Shutters bar in Vegas has the absolute best bartenders - bar none - & I have been visiting Vegas for over 20 years.It was great to get away from the hustle and bustle of the strip to relax a few days in Laughlin. The sunrise over the mountains and the river were conducive to chilling out for a few days.The Horizon outlet mall has great bargains & I took a drive to Oatman, AZ - amazing scenery & great history. Bullhead, AZ right across river has a Kmart & Walmart.This was my first return to Laughlin in about 15 years - I can't wait to go back. Thanks Harrahs.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 August 2003

We just returned from Laughlin and had a wonderful time staying at Harrah's. It was really a beautiful place. We were there from August 11-13. We were able to check right in without waiting in line and the desk was most helpful in giving us directions and a map to Oatman, AZ, which I wouldn't recommend. We stayed in the family tour for the cheapest rates ($26/night). There weren't any longer lines than in any other hotel and we didn't hear any loud children. The room was very nice and clean. I'm really surprised at the complaints I've read. The pool area was very nice and we loved the sandy beach. Sure, Harrah's is further away from the other casinos but the cost for the river taxi is only $3. Gambling wasn't the best-I recommend gambling at the River Palms.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 August 2003

I'm shocked to see the bad reviews posted here!We've been boating out of Laughlin for 12 years (and my husband longer than that), back when it was called Harrah's "Del Rio". We've slept, gambled, eaten, and parked at almost every casino. Yes, Harrah's is removed from the rest of the "strip", just know you'll have to drive or take the water taxi to the other casinos. They've solved the crowded boat parking issue by making available a large lot across the street with shuttle service right to the front door. Their large rooms are the nicest in town, with quality ammenities, and we've never had a housekeeping problem. The buffet is killer!! It's the priciest in Laughlin, but well worth it!
Awesome selection, best desserts, not just "senior citizen" food like salsbury steak. Breakfast has cooked-to-order omelets. The only downside is the gambling. They do have a nice nonsmoking casino, but we've experienced really poor payout on machines, lousy luck at the tables, and unfriendly dealers. We go to the Riverside to gamble! On second thought, believe the negative reviews and book elsewhere so I can get a room next time!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 August 2003

Just got back from laughlin. I will never go to Harrahs ever again.
First of all I booked with a travel agent. They were great, it was harrahs that had my whole reservation messed up. I had a 13 year old girl who has severe asthma, travel agent had me booked in a non smoking room, harrahs had us booked in a smoking room, they wouldn't change it.
Told us to call the maids for a air cleaner, give me a break! The room wasn't very clean. My girls picked their bed by looking to see what bed had the least amount of hair on the sheets. No joke! If you are going to the family tower at harrahs, stay away!!! the lines during peak times to just get on the simple elevator can run 5 to 10 min. All night you hear kids running around. I heard the kids in the room next to us jumping on the bed. We placed two calls to the hotel managers. They don't care. The family tower is like vacationing in a airport. Long lines and children running everywhere. The boat parking is a joke. they don't have enough parking. They want you to park far away and take a shuttle back. They have no launch ramp for your boat. I wasn't on vacation at all. I was under so much stress our family finally left and went to the Riverside Casino. Kudos to Riverside who has their guest service perfect. I could not believe the difference. My stress left. I finally enjoyed Laughlin. The worst part about Harrahs is that I actually had to pay for all that stress!!!! I think someone from upper management needs to be booked into the family tower. because you just wouldn't believe it till you see it. They should pay you to stay there.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 August 2003

Don't waste your time or money. Rooms are miniscule. Staff was very unhelpful. We had two rooms with a door that connected them. We were charged $10 per room, PER NIGHT to have this added feature. When I asked why we were charged more for the connecting door they told us "You are not being charged more. Those rooms are more expensive." (?) Wished we'd stayed at the Colorado Belle instead. Harrah's is only good for boaters. Everyone else, steer clear.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montclair
Reviewed 12 June 2003

Been going to L V & Laughlin since the 60 s- Good old days= Stayed in Harrarahs the first yr it opened-Very disappointed==was a recent winner in drawing=always skeptical with something free==not this time, not sure why but we we treated like Kings-initial call for Res asked for update Rms, not sure if possible-picking yp Keys they already updated & with no chge==Positives--Wide variety of shops for every need, variety of slots, ample tables, courteous & helpful employees, above average buffet & the Turner Show OK====Negative--Limited garage parking, seems like only Valet garage parking, if you want to go other Casinos, you need a car,taxi or walk 100 miles in 102 deg temp, have non-smoke gamb area, by small, slots tight-Go again sure, but only if I have a car & garage parking if you like to roam like I do--my rating, classy, updated, above average for a Laughlin Casino

4 Thank Laughlintrip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laughlin
Aquarius Casino Resort
Days Inn Bullhead City
Days Inn Bullhead City
#1 of 14 in Bullhead City
Edgewater Hotel & Casino

Been to Harrah's Laughlin? Share your experiences!