“You pay $27 for a hotel room, you get $27 worth of hotel room.”

Virgin River Hotel & Casino
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Mesquite
Salt Lake City, Utah
“You pay $27 for a hotel room, you get $27 worth of hotel room.”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We made a late night, last minute stop on the way back from California. The room quality is like an old Motel 6, maybe a bit grungier. I was expecting a hotel, but there are several out-buildings on the property. If you need a cheap place to stay and do not care about your comfort and safety, it is perfect. My children were able to witness a drunken altercation in the parking lot with a couple of idiots, so at least they learned a couple of cool new 4 letter words.

In fairness, the room is pretty much what you should expected for $30 bucks, just keep in mind that the price point brings in a certain type of clientele. And they are your motel neighbors. I imagine that it is sort of like trailer park living. Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MyWifeCallsMeCheap

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Colorado
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My mom and step-dad stayed at this hotel on Christmas, as they have for fifteen years, and for anniversary date, birthdays and other special days. My mom made a reservation in advance for a ground floor room due to the advanced age and condition of her husband, who is eighty years old. The clerk gave a confirmation number as usual. Upon arrival my mom was told they would be on the second floor, she protested to no avail. Just before reaching the top of the cement stairs, my step-dad fell to the bottom of the stairs, striking his head on the cement. The only person to respond was security. My mom called an ambulance, again, zero help from the staff. Needed a ride back after four hours and three thousand dollars in the ER, nope, the hotel can't be bothered, the doctor had to call a taxi. No one offered to help him up the stairs or find him a room in a hotel with ground floor availability, no offer to send dinner up or perhaps even an ice pack. I wrote the management an email, and I got no response. Don't waste your money at this hotel or at the CasaBlanca, they are managed by the same operators.

6 Thank CJEColorado
Brigham City, Utah
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stopped here due to a big winter storm in the mountains and in St. George, utah. We were transporting a therapy dog back to Utah for her trainer. The room was very clean with no carpeting and opened out to open spaces beyond the parking lot where we could walk the dog. Patrons are not very good at cleaning up after their dogs, even though poop bags were available on site. Messy walking, but a nice area if it were cleaner. no microwaves or fridges in our room, so we took the dog to dinner in the casino. Lucky we had a licensed therapy dog or we would have gone hungry! We aren't gamblers, just travelers. We were glad the casino had a safe room for the night.

Room Tip: ASK for pet rooms if you need one. Not everyone gets as nice a room as ours, so we hear.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Spanish Fork, Utah
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We chose the Virgin River due to the fact it is pet friendly, the rooms are what you pay for, $30 a night. The rooms clean, sparse furniture, old 80s TV, everything worked, no problems with the rooms.
The pet rooms are in on whole building with easy access to walk the dogs.
Staff were friendly, we also received $20 play credit each day.

Las Vegas
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Well, this hotel is definitely less than expected from what they advertised online. It's clean but it is not a "resort" it's more along the lines of Motel 6. 3 story motel rooms with ancient (1950's )furnishings. No fridge,safe,coffee, and almost no hot water. Worth the 29.00 usual rate but don't fall for any promo's as we did. Would have been better served staying at home with kids at sitters. would NOT repeat experience.

Room Tip: Stay at the Casablanca instead.
1 Thank lvkathdave
St. George, Utah
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Being a hotel/casino they have to cater to their "Platinum and Diamond" rewards members. What I object to is when they have an extensive line of customers waiting for seating in one of their restaurants and they give priority seating to an individual whose entire party is NOT present, simply because they are an "elite" customer. My husband and I waited a full hour last evening from the time we got in line to be seated in the River Cafe, until our food arrived at the table. As we neared the front of the line, a lone elderly gentleman walked into the "priority" seating line. The hostess told the couple, 2 in front of us, that she would be with them in a moment. She asked the elderly priority seating member how many in his party and he said 3. The hostess seated the elderly man and then continued to seat the 2 couples of 2 in front of us. Roughly 5 minutes had gone by since that elderly man was seated, and just as the hostess was about to seat us, the man's other 2 dinner companions arrived. The food is good for the prices they charge. The Casino is crowded and smokey. They hotel is very dated but the room rates are reasonable if you can get a special internet offer. However, it is certainly not worth it for us to travel more than 40 miles for an OK meal when we have to wait an hour standing in line in that Smokey, noisy, crowded casino floor.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaryH82
Chehalis, Washington
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We were traveling from Colorado back to our home in California. The billboards are what did it for my husband. He insisted we stop at Mesquite to stay in the "$24 a night room." Because I had been the navigator (give me a Hilton any day!) for our entire trip, he said it was his turn to choose. And he was also lured in by the $3.99 all day ham and eggs.

What can you say about a $24 a night room? It's not camping, but it's not a room I would ever want to revisit. BTW the $24 a night room becomes $34 a night if you use your credit card ...

The room is just a room. It's quite modest. Two queen beds that were the hardest I've slept in. And a lumpy/rocky kind of hard. The heater (it's winter, it was cold) blows continually. It blows hot air, until it reaches it's set temperature, then it blows cold air. So you have your choice of being over heated or cold. There is only a sheet and a light blanket so no options to cuddle in if it gets cool.

I decided to let it get hot in the room, then turn it off completely as it's quite loud. I then realized why it needed to be loud. Paper-thin walls allowed me to hear the woman in the toilet above me, and a man coughing 2 doors down. There is constant noise from people driving around the super large parking lot. And the paper thin walls meant that the room immediately cooled down once the heater was turned off.

I didn't catch many zzz's here, and the best I can say is that my husband enjoyed his huge slab of ham for breakfast. And the front desk staff was quite good for what they were selling. As for me, I couldn't wait to get back into our vehicle so I could get some sleep on the ride home.

Room Tip: IF you do decide to stay here, you can choose a room farther away from the casino for a bit of quiet...
2 Thank LalatimarketingDr