“Okay, but not great”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Minden
San Jose, California
“Okay, but not great”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Booked this hotel several months in advance to stay the weekend for the Death Ride, which is based near Markleeville, CA and rides over several of the local mountain passes. I arrived on a Friday afternoon and checked in. My roommate was checking in later that evening and to my surprise only had a single electronic key available. This did not make sense to me since I specified a room with two separate queen sized beds to only get one key. This made it somewhat inconvenient as we had to check in with one another as to what time we planned to be back at the room, but was workable. The location of the inn was good and nearby to restaurants and a Starbucks. It was nice of the staff to have an early breakfast for the riders participating in the Death Ride since many were starting their ride at 5:30am or earlier, so the complementary breakfast started at 3am to accommodate those riders. It was definitely nothing to write home about, but did have dry cereals, oatmeal packets, danish, yogurt, coffee, fresh fruit, juice and a waffle maker. The staff was polite and helpful when necessary. The room was clean and featured a microwave and mini refrigerator. The wifi worked on my computer but would switch from the one for the inn to another found wireless access. The bed was okay and had an assortment of pillows which was a nice touch (since I like softer ones). Given the choice I would stay here again, but it was nothing extra special about this place.

Room Tip: Not far from some good restaurants on Hwy 395.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel has some extreme reviews and they are quite old, so let me give a bit extended version to help you set your mind ...

We went to South Tahoe and decided to try something new and stay in Minden. This hotel had a promo, so we went there mostly based on the price. We did stay just one night, but we took two rooms, so I guess it might count as more than one stay in a sense ...

Ok, so back to the hotel. It's about 25 minutes drive from South Tahoe, the road is good, easy to find. The hotel is located slightly off the highway, behind a restaurant and it helps a lot to reduce road noise. There is a movie theater within walking distance, that also means plenty of restaurants. Both our rooms were actually very quiet. They were also both very clean, no odors, very nice beds. We had double queens rooms and they still had plenty of space left. Everything was working, including microwaves and fridges, nice clean roomy showers. One room had peeling off carpet, but that was causing no problems. Yes, both rooms had old style "tube" TVs. They were working just fine, so not sure if it's a big deal at all. Wi-Fi was ok.

Breakfast. Make your own waffles, yogurts, apples, pastries, coffee and juices. We came late and they were running out of items, but they would quickly restock everything when asked.

Overall, this is a solid hotel, well run and in a great location. They got all key bases covered with clean quite rooms, good beds, and reasonable breakfast. The service is excellent. Yes, you can probably find places with bigger TVs and omelet in the morning, but not for the same price. So it's a great value and it has everything you need to have good rest.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank heckfy
Yosemite National Park, California, USA
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I was excited to find out that I could stay there with my dog, but almost turned away when they told me the price… It was way way too low and I was nervous that I might walk into dirty towels and bedbugs for the price. Even with the pet deposit it was the cheapest hotel I've stayed in in years!

Anyway I walked in and my jaw dropped... it's not a hilton or even a comfort inn, but it was very very clean, freshly painted, soft sheets, and fluffy towels. The furniture was nicer than the Holiday Inn Express I stay at the other day.

Seriously impressed by what I got for my money and everyone who worked there was very nice. I would stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elisabeth B
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Many years as a Choice Hotels Diamond member, I know the brand and it's sub-brands. Though this property offers a good value, it is clearly not a "Quality Inn" level property. First, it one of only a couple properties I've stayed this year with "tube" TV's. The room was dated and in need of some updating. The "Corner Cafe Breakfast" was more along the lower end of the Choice brand. The heat was either off, or not functioning. I hope not a bad cost savings decision! They did have a space heater that kept one chair in the room warm. I suggest you hit McDonalds for breakfast. I would have rated it much higher if it were labeled as a "Econolodge" or "Rodeway", but if your going to be listed as a "Quality" property, they need to invests some time and money.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Jmcolker

Travellers are raving about these Minden hotels

Reviewed 13 August 2013

The room was very disappointing - small TV, "indoor-outdoor" -type carpet, low bed. There was no light in the main part of the room at all, not even a lamp. The only light came from above the vanity in the corner. If you wanted to see in your suitcase or purse, you had to go over by the vanity. A lot of the channels listed on the channel guide were not available.

Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Missi B
Bishop, California
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Stayed here in the past and it was fine. This trip, after many years, was so bad my husband left. The room was nice and clean, but there was a fan of some sort in the roof or ceiling above his room. He called the desk and asked if it could be shut off, they said they would check into it. After some time and no relief, he called again. They sent maintenance over and they listened to the noise in his room. Again, they said they would try to quiet the fan. After another hour the fan still squealed on. He went to the desk and they said they could not shut it off or quiet it. He asked for another room and they declined. He opted to leave at midnight.
The mattress was old, lumpy and sagged in the middle, only one light worked, and the noise was terrible.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jettavroom
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

Rooms are clean and plenty big. If you book ahead or arrive early you can get a ground floor room where you can easily back up to the door to load in your gear. Hotel is back off US 395 so it is quiet. There is even a nice park for the kiddos out back. It is also close to restaurants and the nearby Cinema if you are working in the area long-term. My only complaint is that the Choice Hotels APP showed a rate about $15 lower that what was charged. I should have walked back out to the car and made the reservation on my phone before walking back in to get the room. Otherwise, the staff was very friendly and helpful. We would stay here again when we return to the area. We'll just make our reservation earlier to get the lower rate.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minden
Carson Valley Inn
1862 David Walley's Hot Springs Resort and Spa
Best Western Topaz Lake Inn
Best Western Topaz Lake Inn
#1 of 6 in Gardnerville

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!