“Accused of lying and trying to get a free room! :(”
Review of Carson Valley Inn

Carson Valley Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Minden
Reviewed 10 August 2011

My family decided to stay at CVI while we were in town for my grandmother's memorial service. We have been customers of this establishment for MANY years, but had never stayed in the hotel previously. We selected rooms in the Motor Inn. The first room that we were given smelled of smoke, although it was advertised as non-smoking. We called the front desk the next morning to discuss the situation. We asked that we be moved to another room, which they were able to accommodate. Once we arrived in our new room there were several things wrong with the room - the air conditioner didn't work, the coffee maker didn't work and one of the light bulbs were burned out. The maintenance department quickly fixed the broken coffee pot and light and assured us that the air conditioning was also fixed. The air conditioning still wasn't operating properly and we called maintenance once again. They came and said that it was working fine. Since we were out of our room all day, we assumed the air would be working and fine for sleeping that evening. But we returned to the room and found that we had to manually turn on the fan and then about 15 minutes later the we could turn on the air conditioning, but once it went off, none of it would come back on. So we had no air for our second evening.
We we called the front desk the next morning, Elizabeth or "Liz" as she went by was very rude and said that we will need to speak with her manager directly because there was nothing wrong with the air. Again we were gone all day (to my grandmother's memorial service) and when we returned, we had a extremely long and rude message from the manger - Matt Carter. My mother called him back and he proceeded to not even let her talk - but rather yelled at her about how she wasn't going to get a free room and there was nothing wrong with the air. Basically accusing her of lying about the whole situation. Keep in mind my mother had just buried her mother earlier in the day. My mother asked who his manager was and he was he was the boss. Then he proceeded to give us the general manager's name (with whom I have a call into currently).
I have worked in a service industry for over 12 years and would NEVER talk to any customer or treat anyone with such disrespect! This is an outrage and I hope that people will consider this feedback before staying at their establishment in the future.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Jennifer B

Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed here for one night on our way from camping in Yosemite to a resort in Tahoe. The surrounding town is cute and the few people we met were really nice. We made the BIG mistake (what were we thinking?) or hauling our luggage with us to the check-in desk. By the way, they have a tiny little sign to indicate that reception is accessed through the back entrance-do not enter through the casino unless you want a long walk. Once we got there, we found out the great rate we got on the separate "motor lodge" room was for a reason. When we complained about the lack of signs telling us where to park for easy access to reception, the receptionist blamed the fact that we didn't make the reservation with them, but with Expedia. Like that money was somehow not as good to them? We had to go get the car, reload our luggage and child (she was kind enough to get a valet to help us with this) and drive down the street, past a gas station, past an RV park to get to the motor lodge. I laughed at the thought of using their pool located in the main building back down the street-it was in a separate hotel! The lesson here is an old one, you get what you pay for. The motor lodge had no elevator so we had to haul our luggage up the stairs. The room was quiet, basic amenities, clean,and the free WiFi made my husband happy. I was happy with the coffee maker. The gas station next door had a well stocked store. We filled up the car (50 cents cheaper there than up in Tahoe) hit the McDonald's at the corner for breakfast and got out of Dodge. Overall, if you know what you're getting into, this motor lodge is OK for the money.

Room Tip: Motor lodge rooms are a hike down the street from the main bulding
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MAtoCA
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Escape the congestion of Reno and head south to incredible beauty beyond Carson City. In June 2011, snow covered the peaks of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Cattle grazed and ranches dotted the edges of the valley. The Carson Valley Inn is perfect for a vacation with recreation [golf at excellent courses nearby], rafting in the Carson River, an indoor pool shaped like the state of NV, excellent dining in the CV restaurant, more casual dining at Katie's. The inn has an RV park and motel. The casino has all of the games and slots anyone might like to play. Easy access to South Lake Tahoe.

Renovated rooms include a heavenly mattress, iron/board, and hair dryer. The workout room is small. For exercise, I recommend walking the streets of Minden - a lovely town with well-kept homes, flower gardens, and ancient trees.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We have stayed here in the past and wrote it off our list. BUT, they've remodeled the rooms and the casino. Now it's a wonderful place to stay. Staff was friendly and very helpful. The price is right if you ask for the casino rate ($49 per night). Had a family party for my mother's 88th birthday and they made it perfect. If you've stayed here in the past, give it another try...the improvements changed the experience by 100%

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank phyllisj
Reviewed 27 May 2011

This is the third time we have stayed at CVI. We stayed two nights in one of their newly decorated non-smoking rooms on the top floor. The decor was a bit dark but was clean and comfortable. It is a small hotel/casino and staff are very courteous and helpful.

The only complaint is the smokey casino. Nevada hasn't figured out that non-smoking won't really hurt the bottom line.

Room Tip: Stay in a newly decorated room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2011

The hotel is not the problem, It is the casino managers and security you have to worry about. I didn't want to gamble and chose to pay for my drinks instead. These people knew I was staying there extended business. I walked away from the casino bar to see the band equip. The bartender chased me down and insisted I pay, right then, for my drink. Keep in mind, they give away drinks all of the time, but I told her I wanted to pay for mine. I had spent hundreds of dollars in the restaurant, and they all knew I was staying there. I complained to the bartender that I didn't appreciate being chased down like a common criminal and that they needed to learn what the hospitality business was all about. The security NAZI, Phillip, told me that he thought I was a problem and I had to leave. I told him I was going to do that anyway. In the lobby, I asked to see a manager. They asked me why. I told them what happened. Phillip came from out of a closet (or something) and said he didn't like me telling his employees what he had said t me. I told him that he should not worry what I said if he was right and if he was wrong, he shouldn't have said it in the first place. He threatened to have me 'hauled off'. I didn't know if he meant arrested or what. I left and went to my room. The next morning, I complained to the security on staff about the problem. He was nice and comped me breakfast. He also showed me that Phillip had put my picture on the security wall. I insisted that it was taken down. I debated a while about calling higher ups, then called Joey the casino manager. He said that we just may have had a bad night and to come back. I assured him that I HAD had a bad nigh and that his employees needed a reprimand.

Well. I decided I had had enough and had one more day to stay before permanent quarters were ready. I had just gotten my diesel repaired on Friday my last day and tuned for high performance. It ran great Friday. Saturday, it developed problems, Sunday it snowed in Tahoe so I didn't go anywhere and stayed in my new home. Monday, I barely made it to work in the truck because of terrible performance and icy roads. Took it back to the diesel place to find out someone had poured dirt into my gas tank the last night at CVI. I figure it was payback. Called Joey who basically poo pooed the situation.

My advice. If you get treated like dirt, don't complain; MOVE. You may end up like me with vehicle damage or worse. I would strongly advise anyone to avoid this establishment at all costs.

Room Tip: Get a room FAR FAR away fro here
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Robzilla1
Reviewed 12 April 2011

The Carson Valley Inn is located on a huge campus and offers next to the hotel / Caisson also a separate motel and gas station. The Check in runs absolutely professionally and quickly. Very quiet, spacious and clean room. The two restaurants serve a varied, depending on menu selection. The casino is quite large and diverse, but has non-cluttered.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank BigF_77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minden
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Minden
Best Western Topaz Lake Inn
Best Western Topaz Lake Inn
#1 of 6 in Gardnerville
Super 8 Gardnerville Topaz Lake

Been to Carson Valley Inn? Share your experiences!