“Low Class”
Review of Carson Valley Inn

Carson Valley Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Minden
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Cigarette smoke from the casino permeates throughout the hotel. We had 11 others in our group and two of us had our credit card numbers stolen by hotel staff. Date of stay was 4/09.

• Stayed: April 2010
3  Thank gtrchf

Reviewed 15 December 2010

We were enroute from Virginina City to Sparks NV and needed to layover and chose the Carson Valley Inn where we had stayed before.

This is an independent casino hotel and has a very friendly attitude for its guest many of whom seem to be returning guests and local regulars.

Room was large, clean and well appointed - we stayed on the third floor in a King.

Resturant was good comfort food served cheerfully and at a reasonable price - portions are large .

Overall an excellent value and I would come back - as we did this time.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I have been attending "group" golf outings here for 12 years. "I shall return"! as the hotel casino does a terrific job to make guests welcome in every way! I've headed up golf group outings here and the only comment I hear from the golfers is when do we return next year. The staff, rooms, service and food are all above average. Don't pass up a stay if you are in the area.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 October 2010

The Carson Valley Inn has done a very good job of remodeling their casino - lots of fun games to play, good lighting, and good service. You are always greeted with a smile; the staff is one of the best in casinos, making sure you are enjoying yourself and if you want a drink - you have one in moments. I find the service great any time of day - for example, 10 in the morning, 5 at night, 8 at night, 4 in the morning. This shows consistency in service - and a good time. They do have free drawings, bonus plus days, and sometimes you win free gifts (shirts, caps, nice bag, etc.). All in all a thumbs high up for casino. There is oftentimes live music at night. Given the area, the crowd tends to be middle aged to seniors (i.e. its not a young youth scene - although locals tend to enjoy coming here as well as visitors.).

In terms of food - Katies is a local favorite; it is often full on the week-ends with a short wait time. Lots of options on the menu - its somewhat like a Denny's but with much cuter atmosphere and good service. Portion size is absolutely HUGE - meaning if you eat it all you had a real pig out. We generally have food for another meal. They also have a high end steak and fish restaurant, nicely decorated, with good food and again good portions. If you plan a day out, Jobs Peak has sandwiches that are good - and picnic stuff for the day. The service there is super friendly. If you do play in the casino, you quickly get points you can use for food.....(also if you are a frequent player, you often get discount coupons in the mail.).

There is a swimming pool on property; easy in and out - and friendly door service. A special hi to the "tall guy" - who is often at the door. he is so nice (sorry I don't remember your name - but you always make our day when you are there. Thanks.

The rooms are large - now, if you want modern, its not. It is however hugely enjoyable stay - with the ability to open the window to get fresh air in the room; tv with movies and cable (lots of stations); large bathroom; comfy beds. The new owner plans to revamp the rooms in the future - but unlike others, we find the stay very comfortable. Enjoy the time in the rooms. And very very very clean - comfy. If you see a bug - well darn - you are very close to the mountains and close to the desert; so just say hi!

In terms of location - very convenient to both Tahoe area (less than half hour drive), Reno (less than hour drive); and 10 minute drive to Carson City; half hour to 40 minute drive to Virginia City.

If you are a club member, as we are, you are treated extremely well. As mentioned all get great service; nice gaming; good vibes - but if you are a club member you are invited to special events such as the fall dinner where it was a great meal with beer and wine and great service.

In short, its a great place to go in the area -if you are looking for swank, its not. if you are looking for a great place to go, it definitely is. Carson Valley Inn is doing a fabulous job and as they continue to remodel - has done a fabulous job. Cheers to all.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank mini
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Our friends have been travelling to this Inn for years and had told us how much they enjoyed it. We went with 4 other couples and stayed here while on a golf trip. It is just a wonderful little place that I found to be very clean and suprisingly comfortable. The beds are older and kind of low, but very nice with a good choice of pillows. I never heard anyone else in the halls or in other rooms. The shower pressure was nice and strong and the toiletries were nicer than other hotels. They have 2 hot tubs and an indoor pool which is nice and warm and quite large. The casino is small and didn't smell like smoke since they installed a new ventilation system. It was the first time I have come home from a casino hotel and my suitcase of clothes didn't reek of smoke. The only downside to this hotel is the age of the guests, which tends to run a little older than I feel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2010

You should know the details of my stay so perhaps you will be able to make some improvements that are really necessary. . The room I stayed in (and others I saw) was barely passable. Room 4147 in the Motor Lodge

Good news:
Bathroom and towels were clean and white
sheets on bed looked clean

Bad news: because of the bed bug scare, i always pull the bed away from the wall to inspect the area of the mattress at the headboard and around the mattress. I didn't find anything that looked like bedbugs (thank God) BUT it was totally filthy and there were spiders, ants,other varmints under there...and inch of dust piled around base of bed. The carpet was torn, worn and totally filthy all over the room, not just near the beds.

Except for the bathroom the rest of the room was really dirty, stains on bedspread, cobwebs in the corners of the ceiling with dead bugs stuck in them (so they were there a while) and I frankly did not feel comfortable sleeping the night on those beds and cuddled up in the middle of one of them surrounded by the sheets. Had I not arrived in that night late I would have left and reported you to the health authorities.

I did mention to the housekeeper the next morning what i found (filthy the rug... dust and small bugs around the box spring of one of the mattresses) and they did come in an thoroughly clean the carpet. I ended up staying but not sure I will again because the place was so dirty. The rest of the property looks pretty good so I was shocked at how bad the condition of the room was. I do not expect 5 star at your price point but I do expect clean and not to see dirt and leaves, torn rugs and old stained bedspreads which was all a bit creepy for a well known casino property.

Get a carpet guy in there and change them out. Even if they are cheap new ones at least they are clean. And you can replace them more often which is better than expensive carpet that is torn and filthy dirty. Take the bedspreads off the beds and use 2 sheets with a blanket in the middle. Tell the housekeeping staff to look above eye level for stuff when they clean .....along the ceiling lamp shades etc.

It wouldn't cost that much and would make a huge difference

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank cmandell
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Good news:
Bathroom and towels were clean and white
sheets on bed looked clean

It wouldn't cost that much and would make a huge difference.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank cmandell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minden
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Minden
1862 David Walley's Hot Springs Resort and Spa
Best Western Topaz Lake Inn
Best Western Topaz Lake Inn
#1 of 6 in Gardnerville

Been to Carson Valley Inn? Share your experiences!